User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: What does the Easter Bunny bring for your kids?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

A few friends on Facebook were talking about the piles of loot they had gotten their six and seven year olds for Easter. I think that my DS is going to think the Easter Bunny doesn't like him or something, once he talks to his friends at school on Tuesday and finds out they got a bunch of toys as well as candy.

He got a Rollo egg, a small solid bunny, a small marshmallow bunny, some Peeps, and a dozen plastic eggs hidden with Cadbury mini eggs in them (three eggs in each one). For a toy, he got a Beyblades top to go with the set he got for his birthday last week. That's it, although it seems like a lot to me, it's nothing compared to what some other kids are receiving.

What about your kids, do they just get candy, a couple of little toys maybe, or is it like Christmas in April?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Our Easters are like yours. A basket of goodies, and one toy. Later (teen) I would get them a used video game or something, never above $30. Now they are older teenagers and I still buy them candy but nothing else I am not sure what on earth other people are up to with all of the stuff they get their kids. I know I used to get a bunny and a skipping rope!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I think what you two are doing sounds just right, similar to what we did when our son was small. He's now 20, and I still get him chocolates, lol!

I think it's odd when parents turn this into another Christmas, gifts-wise.
    erin9mmm and MamaF like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sigh.....apparently our 3-year old Grandson received little foil covered chocolate eggs, which he unwrapped, put into a bowl to "share with everyone on the street" (they're on a cul-de-sac). He didn't even have a single one!
    Good thing Grandpa and Baba are bringing over a few books and little treasures from Florida for him this year...I can't wait to see him dig into the bag I prepared for him....

Happy Easter everyone!
    Natalka likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Mine are all teenagers and when I made the comment that perhaps they are getting a bit old for Easter Bunny visits, they looked at me like I had sprouted an extra head.

I give them some chocolate, no presents, and it is always in equal amounts to kibosh any in-fighting. Sigh.
    Natalka, kazm-l and bmpsmommy like this.

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Kids get toys for Easter? Jeeze, I had no idea. Isn't that what Christmas is for?

I was just happy to hunt for some eggs and get a nice big chocolate bunny at the end, maybe a nice stuffed bunny if I was lucky. I really think things are starting to get out of hand these days.

I know my mum still bought me chocolate eggs when I was 19, 20, 21 hahaha.
    Natalka, kazm-l, erin9mmm and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

When I was a kid, I got a chocolate rabbit. That was it. No egg hunt even. For my parents, Easter was about Jesus, not chocolate. Chocolate was a consequence of immigrating to this country so they indulged the idea of Easter bunny by buying one, but church and faith took priority. We spent our Easters going to mass. Every day. Like Thursday night, Friday afternoon, Saturday night, and Sunday morning. 4 days of church.

I guess to some degree I live vicariously through my kids. When I was a kid, I was always a little envious of my friends who got easter egg hunts and such. So perhaps I go a bit overboard with the Easter baskets. I wouldn't quite say it's "Christmas in April," lol, but they get an egg hunt, a solid rabbit, some hollow rabbits and a basket of toys. Easter is my excuse to stock them up on spring and summer toys like bubbles and marbles and skipping ropes and balls and chalk etc. It's kind of a transition time for us-- a time to "turn off the screens" and begin spending more time outside. Having new outdoor toys to play with is a great motivator.

I also put things in there they might need. Example- DD went through a lost sock phase recently, so EB gave her some new socks this year. (well, correction, Mommy and daddy gave her new socks this year since she is now of the age where she was questioning EB's existence so she stayed up last night to watch us, the little monkey!!). I also will put stuff in there like a new book or games that our family will enjoy playing together.
    Natalka likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I'm in my mid twenties (only child).....but live at home still and my mom still buys for me for Easter!! And I'm SOOOO grateful!! :D lol. It's a bit different now though.......we went grocery shopping together yesterday for tonight Easter dinner and while at Walmart we went through the easter section and she starting tossing stuff she knows I like into the basket.....mini eggs, cream eggs, peeps, sour patch bunnies......about $20-25 worth. Last year I got some chocolate and a beautiful tropical vase that I'd been drooling after for weeks (I'm obsessed with anything blue or beachy! lol). When I was younger I had an Egg Hunt at home.....with various chocolates and usually a few smalls toy like skipping ropes, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, small Easter stuffed animals and things of that nature. I also used to usually get a new dress......nothing outrageously expensive or anything....just a new dress to wear for the big family dinner. I think kids tends to remember the small things......at least I do. Every year when I'm in the stores for Christmas and Easter I still ooh and ahh over the things that I remember from when I was little.....even if they only cost a couple of dollars
    Natalka likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

mine are older as well.. this year they each (including hubby as he done SO much for me) were allowed to pick a 'wish' item. my oldest received a new pair of shoes, I was going to just get him the shoe boxes but decided better not. (size 11!!).. and some small chocolates. my youngest received some tools he had his eye on in the CT flyer (on sale.. gotta love him) and some chocolate and hubby received his very own brush.. he keeps using mine.. and some chocolate.. they are all very happy.. next year who knows what will happen.
    Natalka likes this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I get them a small toy, like a Barbie, or something to go with the eggs, but I did splurge a little this year, and the EB brought a new bike, as DD birthday is in Sepptember, so she would hardly get to use it before winter, so I thought this was the funnest way to give it to her.....next year, the EB will be back to a little toy.
    gone shopping!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Similar to ninna, when I was growing up, Easter was only religious, nothing secular. I can't even remember if I even realized/noticed other kids at school talking about the Easter Bunny coming for them!

I didn't feel deprived, or anything, it just was what it was. Being with our church family for all the services - multiple times per day from Holy Thursday to Bright Tuesday at least - and celebrating Easter Sunday with a meal together with extended family.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Growing up, we had easter hunts - my mum would have trails of chocolate leading around the house for us to collect. I don't remember getting toys growing up though, we would usually just get a big chocolate item (like a large kinder surprise) and a bunch of smaller chocolates. Now that we're older she still buys us chocolate and always gives us new socks... Socks are her favourite thing to give on every major holiday lol
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

We do a couple small baskets each and in the baskets there are little egg gums, reese eggs, jelly beans and spring toys (like skipping ropes, sidewalk chalk and bubbles, colouring books and crayons), then they also each get a big hollow charcter chocolate, a solid bunny, kinder surpise egg, easter wrapping kitkat and as many foil easter eggs and foil bunnie shapes they can find - The easter bunny was up especially early today running around the backyard in a housecoat. When I was a kid I used to get a new bike on Easter but I can't remember if it was from the bunny or my parents but I was allergic to chocolate so I would only get one solid white chocolate bunny as they don't actually contain cocoa funny enough DH had the same allergy we are a perfect pair who out grew that allergy(thank goodness).

Then in the afternoon we go to my inlaws where there is another candy hunt - This one is insane - my SIL goes hog wild for every occasion (free chocolate at princesskimmi's).
    Last edited by princesskimmi; Sun, Apr 8th, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Natalka and glowworm2k like this.

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

No big ticket items here either.

My 3 kids are all teenagers but they were still up early today waiting for their egg hunt. My oldest is lactose intolerant, my middle child is a diabetic, and my youngest has has Down's Syndrome so it takes some creativeness at Easter. We eat super healthy 99% of the time so the candy is super exciting for them. Not very much chocolate because sugar-free, lactose-free is hard to come by but we do some candy. They each got a small bag of chips. The lactose-free kid got lots of sour candy because that is his favorite. The diabetic child got lots of sugar free candy and dessert gum which she loves. I filled the little plastic eggs with Slurpee GCs for two of them, really inexpensive necklaces(from the 10 for 10 at Claires) and earrings, erasers that look like moustaches, magnetic bookmarks, nailpolish, etc. They always get a book, as well....for every occasion.

I have one strange kid. She loves to bake and collects anything Wilton. She always wants new icing tips or cupcake liners so we do stuff like that too.

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

This was my DD first one. I bought her new pjs ($12 each at Walmart) and a hollow bunny. I bought the kinder surprise egg hunt kit ($9ish) for the egg hunt and Dinsey plastic eggs with stickers inside. I'm going to keep those plastic eggs for next year so I can make those rice Krispies hollow egg with candy inside.

Growing up, we would get the hollow bunny, loose candy and those styrofoam planes that you'd have to assemble-anyone knw what I'm talking about? I think they were $1. The egg hunt was those typical milk chocolate eggs in foil.

I know someone who got carrots in their basket growing up (it is a BUNNY, after all )
    Last edited by Jnazurk; Sun, Apr 8th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
    Natalka and ninna like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information