User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: I think I'm turning into a crank.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Okay maybe my Husband is odd (alright I know he is lol) but he actually SEEKS OUT JW's. He's very much into learning about all religions and debating religion as well and he was happier than a kid in a candy store when he came across one the other day. Disappointed they didn't have a watch tower though. lol
    BAhh someone from the Watchtower hangs out around one of the major bus stops here at a college on Friday/Saturday night, you can't save someone's eternal soul when they're too drunk to stand. Gees!
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Speckled28 View Post
    It drives me crazy to have people trying to spread their religion at my door! Don't get me wrong....I'm equally as irritated by any religion doing it.....not just JW! lol I am not part of any specific religion, but do have my own beliefs and values. I'd also consider myself to have a good head on my shoulders....and therefore, if I am interested in a religion of any kind...I have no problems taking the appropriate avenues to find out more about it. Heck.....I don't even mind if you leave a flyer in my mail box (though the last few that have been left I've found extremely offensive....but hey....I'm trying to meet in the middle here....). Even leave that contact information on the pamphlet so that I can contact you if I have any questions or would like more information.....I just want it to be my own choice.....with no pressure to sway one way or the other.

As for telemarketers......I TRY so very hard to be nice.....because I know it's their job.....and almost certainly not their dream job......BUT if they get rude or pushy with me I have no problems hanging up on them. There are many comical lists online that cover ways to "play" with telemarketers......some of them are absolutely hilarious and I only wish I had the courage to try! LOL
    I even HATE pushy sales people and will leave a store without making a purchase if I find someone's too pushy. I don't like it and feel that it is an older part of sales that needs to go. There are other ways to make the sale!
    anisa and Teri623 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    I even HATE pushy sales people and will leave a store without making a purchase if I find someone's too pushy. I don't like it and feel that it is an older part of sales that needs to go. There are other ways to make the sale!
    I completely agree!!! I've left many stores because of pushy sales people. Ask me if I need some help once......then kindly let me shop, lol. I do the same if they have the sales people that hover over you constantly like they're sure you're about to steal something........following you from table to table......drives me nuts!! I know they have to watch for shoplifting but some of them need a class on how to be more discreet about it.....and how to not make the customer feel like they're being stalked.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

MQ,
    Thank you for explaining your side. When I mentioned JW, it was the truth, they did come to my door, but it could have been the Mormons or anyone else for that matter. I had no idea that you were JW, so I hope you weren't made to feel bad on this thread. You have been a good contributor on this forum. I think the common theme coming out of it all is that people value their time and they like to make their own decisions. We are constantly bombarded with advertising and it has become easy to dismiss it in whatever form. My mother-in-law told me that a vacuum cleaner salesman came to her door in the seventies and did a two hour demo in her house...talk about a hard sell - it's not something we tolerate these days (unless you are TaraF's DH! j/k).

When you say that people of your faith are so persistent because sometimes people change their minds, that is perplexing to me. Are you trying to change minds, or wear people down? Are there JW's that don't go door-to-door? What happens if they don't, is there some sort of punitive measures? Did you ever think it might have been an interpretation of the bible taken too literally?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Okay maybe my Husband is odd (alright I know he is lol) but he actually SEEKS OUT JW's. He's very much into learning about all religions and debating religion as well and he was happier than a kid in a candy store when he came across one the other day. Disappointed they didn't have a watch tower though. lol
    Tara, if your hubby's odd, then I am, too....I've had some very interesting conversations with JV's at our home years ago...they knew I wasn't about to change my religion, but mutually agreed to share our thoughts on the subject over lemonade..

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

i do have to ask this,just in general...if I walked around spreading literature about aliens/donosaurs/evolution/works by darwin etc,would i offend someone who already was of a religious denomination? i ask this because to me as an atheist it is the same thing. i respect everyone in their belief and believe what i do,but i don't expect that people are going to take time out of their day to listen to what i preach or believe,as it is their home and their time,and if they want to seek something out,they will.

i really believe there should be some kind of bylaw in the fact that if you tell someone you arent interested,and they keep coming back,then that is a violation and should be ticketed.i am a cranky person today..lol..forgive me...i just don't like my son standing by me at the door and having to defend my belief that there is no deity.it sucks and makes me feel weak.i shouldn't have to put up with that in my own home..sorry if i offend anyone but that's what i believe...
    Natalka, DH666 and Candini like this.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    hey, if someone thinks they can come to your door or call your house and bother you when you are trying to rest, relax, cook dinner, pay with your kids, watch a movie etc, then tough on them.

they are bothering you on your time. no excuses needed.

if someone comes onto your property, and knocks on your door just so they can proceed to tell you about their religion because they assume you are some heathen who is destined to be lost for eternity, isn't that the height of rudeness?

if someone thinks they can call you in your home and try to sell you something because they assume you are an impulsive buyer who doesn't know how to make a decision based on your personal wants and needs, isn't that totally rude?
    i think so.i know that they are to spread the word..in my personal opinion though it is rude IF they come back after being asked not to

~just your average nerd~

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TudorChick View Post
    i think so.i know that they are to spread the word..in my personal opinion though it is rude IF they come back after being asked not to
    I find it annoying when I'm asked if I've heard of Jesus....

Of course, I've heard of Jesus. I live in a country which is pre-dominantly Christian.I've lived in a country which had a state sponsored religion. I studied Christiainty for 45 mins a week from grades 2-7. Grade 8 was comparsions of other religions...

So why do people imagine I need to be saved by them. I have plenty of oppotunity to get saved by myself.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I thought you meant a crank from The Maze Runner trilogy

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    MQ,
    Thank you for explaining your side. When I mentioned JW, it was the truth, they did come to my door, but it could have been the Mormons or anyone else for that matter. I had no idea that you were JW, so I hope you weren't made to feel bad on this thread. You have been a good contributor on this forum. I think the common theme coming out of it all is that people value their time and they like to make their own decisions. We are constantly bombarded with advertising and it has become easy to dismiss it in whatever form. My mother-in-law told me that a vacuum cleaner salesman came to her door in the seventies and did a two hour demo in her house...talk about a hard sell - it's not something we tolerate these days (unless you are TaraF's DH! j/k).

When you say that people of your faith are so persistent because sometimes people change their minds, that is perplexing to me. Are you trying to change minds, or wear people down? Are there JW's that don't go door-to-door? What happens if they don't, is there some sort of punitive measures? Did you ever think it might have been an interpretation of the bible taken too literally?

Some very good questions Marstec. As for feeling bad. . . well of course we all do because it's human nature to want to be liked. The thing is. . . the few scriptures I quoted on preaching were just that. . .there are dozens.(So no, I don't think we have taken the Bible too literally. ) In fact the whole theme of the Jesus "ministry", his instructions to his apostles, his disciples and all of the early Christian congregation was literally built around preaching activity.
    I say with all good humour (which most of you know I have) that we do NOT love having doors slammed in our faces or being verbally abused. Perhaps see it like this. . . If you knew from the most reliable source known to man, some catastrophic event was going to come to let's say, Toronto. . . how far would you go to warn the millions of people there? Would you just try once or twice or a dozen times to warn them? We are talking about
    millions of people and maybe the majority didn't believe you. Would you give up? Probably not. . .especially if that reliable source who gave you that solid information entrusted you to make sure absolutely everyone was warned to the utmost degree. Not only that. . .but the place where these people can find shelter is a hundred times better then where they are now anyways.
    We totally appreciate that people want to make their own decisions. We're not there to make a decision for you, just trying to pass on a vital message. We are not trying to wear people down either (that made me smile But as I posted earlier there have literally been millions of people that have changed their own minds for one reason or another. My own husband was one of them as was his father, as were many of my friends. . .
    I think people believe we are judging them and we're not at all. We all voluntarily do this with whatever time we can. . .and I can tell you that many of us aren't talented speakers. . .maybe don't make the point the way we should. . possibly come across the wrong way. . but we're all just ordinary people.
    There are a few Jw's that don't go door to door. Many are old or sick or incapable in some way, but they usually find their own way of passing on the message. And no, there is not a punitive measure if you don't. I think it's more a matter of your own conscience. . knowing what you do and not sharing it.
    In regards to how we are all bombarded with advertising and pushy sales techniques. . . .yes, it IS very overwhelming. But we don't want a blessed thing from you. In fact all we want to do, is give you something. To quote Jesus in Matthew 10:8- "you received free, give free."

For TudorChick: If you do not wish anyone to call on you anymore, you can ask that you be put on the "Do not Call List" It generally works well but occasionally someone messes up, cause we're just volunteers and some do better then others.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If I offend anybody, it is not my intention.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Speckled28 View Post
    I completely agree!!! I've left many stores because of pushy sales people. Ask me if I need some help once......then kindly let me shop, lol. I do the same if they have the sales people that hover over you constantly like they're sure you're about to steal something........following you from table to table......drives me nuts!! I know they have to watch for shoplifting but some of them need a class on how to be more discreet about it.....and how to not make the customer feel like they're being stalked.
    I was actually shocked in a memo my store got around Christmas stating that customers like to be approached multiple times...um no, what are they thinking???

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I like when Toronto Star calls me and promotes weekly ' free ' papers being delivered to my home.
    As soon as I say I live in a building, ' oh okay, have a nice day ma'am ' yaaap, you too.

I`ve been harassed before by a telemarketer for a week straight. If I didn`t answer, the phone (no lie) would ring 20+ times.

And no, I`ve never purchased anything from a telemarketer. Like OP said. If I need something, I`ll call YOU.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

I have a door deco my mom gave me not sure where she received it from says
    I don't talk to strangers no door to door sales people please
    LOL I love it
    Granger likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

PS. I work in retail. Jehovah Witness comes to my store and also gives me booklets to ' read when I have time. '
    KK7 likes this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

aww candini you opened a bottle of worms never have I been so harassed as I have at this new retail place lol I have been asked have I found God, Do I beleive in him and trying to be handed a devotion book Really???? I am working......
    Candini likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information