User Tag List

Page 10 of 149 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

How about some ferns and lily of the valley?

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Now, I need your help please. I have this area in the corner of my garden, it gets ZERO sunshine. One of the plants in the picture is an astilbe and the other one is an interloper - several of them actually - from the neighbour's garden, lily of the valley.. omg do those suckers ever spread fast! Anyway, I have no clue what to plant in that corner. Two requirements - it must love full shade and it must be slug resistant. I had a hosta there that I just pulled out and replanted in a pot because it looked like swiss cheese. Something that flowers would be nice, but not necessary. Also, it cannot be invasive. I know, I'm not asking a lot, am I? I have a couple of ferns from my front garden that I'm considering moving there also.

GoJays likes this.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

lol.. i just planted 4 ferns there today - three transplants from the front yard and one new one.. and those green leaves there are lily of the valley, came over from the neighbour's side - free plants woohoo! too bad they spread like wildfire though
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i'm also going to put an Epimedium in there that marstec suggested - it's really pretty.. i found some at the home depot, i'm just waiting for the price to drop a little bit

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Horny goat weed is an herb. The leaves are used to make medicine. As many as 15 horny goat weed species are known as “yin yang huo” in Chinese medicine.

Horny goat weed is used for weak back and knees, joint pain, osteoarthritis, mental and physical fatigue, memory loss, high blood pressure, heart disease, bronchitis, liver disease, HIV/AIDS, polio, a blood disorder called chronic leucopenia, viral infections of the heart, bone loss after menopause, weak bones (osteoporosis), and as a tonic.

Some men use horny goat weed for sexual performance problems including erectile dysfunction (ED) and involuntary ejaculation. It is also used to arouse sexual desire.

How does it work?

Horny goat weed contains chemicals which might help increase blood flow and improve sexual function. It also contains phytoestrogens, chemicals that act somewhat like the female hormone estrogen, that might reduce bone loss in postmenopausal women.
    anisa, GoJays and snuffaluffagus like this.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i..... am.. speechless................

thanks for the botanical lesson, tweety

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Patty! I found a new hosta for you

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

My assistant brought in a catalogue of bulbs...omg...I am going to change a couple beds to put in some. They are incredible. from Botanus in BC.
    GoJays likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Patty! I found a new hosta for you

This might be one called Empress Wu...I was actually thinking about getting it, then I came to my senses.

There was a horrible wind storm yesterday and I'm so depressed after surveying the damages in my garden. Hopefully the tomatoes recover - they were bent right over and a few stems broke off. The flower beds fared surprisingly well...peonies are all over the place, but that's not unusual.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetybird999 View Post
    My assistant brought in a catalogue of bulbs...omg...I am going to change a couple beds to put in some. They are incredible. from Botanus in BC.
    i've got that catalogue on my coffee table right now
    Tweetybird999 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    This might be one called Empress Wu...I was actually thinking about getting it, then I came to my senses.

There was a horrible wind storm yesterday and I'm so depressed after surveying the damages in my garden. Hopefully the tomatoes recover - they were bent right over and a few stems broke off. The flower beds fared surprisingly well...peonies are all over the place, but that's not unusual.
    Yes, I do believe Wu are correct... lol Sucker's huge! It would take up a good portion of my backyard..... could you imagine the slugs!

Sorry to hear about the windstorm but i'm sure the plants will bounce back
    gourmetsue likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the only drunks that are at my house live there.. bwahahaha!

i'll call King paving for a quote on the asphalt

thanks vike
    what are friends for?
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My peonies were really battered this week with the high winds, usually it's the rain that does them in. I didn't get around to staking a few of them; that will be a priority for next year. My tomatoes are still trying to recover...not sure how they are going to do, some were bent right onto the ground.

Here are a couple blooming right now and one of my daughter's graduation floral arrangement:
    1) Sarah Bernhardt peony in full bloom.
    2) Flowers, inside the house! They are a mix of gerbera daisies, roses, alstroemerias and carnations.
    3) Blue Flax, a perennial that comes back every year and pops up in different places. The individual blooms don't last long, but there are lots of buds.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Here are a couple plants blooming in my yard:

spirea

valerian

borage
    Tbites likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

The wind was awful here to and many of the heads of my hydrangeas broke with the weight of the rain and then the wind. I haved to find cages that are 5 feet tall to put around them the ones i have now just don't cut it.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I wish I could remember the name of my hydrangeas. They only bloom mid/late July. The flowers aren't very big and only weigh down the branches a little bit.

Ok, while I don't have many flowers at the moment, I do have lots of weeds in bloom . Dh is not allowed to cut them down so it makes mowing the lawn quite the challenge, lol.

I have no idea what most of these are but, I think they're rather pretty. Feel free to help me name them. The first three pics are of flowers that grow in patches in the lawn (and even through the gravel!) and along the edges of the driveway. None of my neighbors have them growing so I'm guessing they spread by root?

Name:  weeds 1.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  64.1 KB
    Name:  weeds2.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  36.7 KB

My rose bush has some powdery mildew . I'll have to spray it with skim milk and water asap.
    Name:  weeds 3.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  62.1 KB

I have Daisies popping up here and there in the yard. How I wish they'd take over the whole lawn.
    Name:  weeds 4.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  weeds5.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  37.8 KB

Some type of Asters?
    Name:  weeds 6.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  68.9 KB

This weed is about 3' tall and growing through the Dogwood bushes.
    Name:  weeds 7.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  66.7 KB

Another pretty one growing well where the grass doesn't .
    Name:  weeds 8.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  67.9 KB

Tiny little guys growing on super fragile looking stems.
    Name:  weeds 9.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  33.0 KB

And even tinier little guys.
    Name:  weeds 10.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  39.2 KB

White Clover? Now they have no problem taking over the lawn. I don't mind though as they help keep the lawn looking green even if we haven't had much rain.
    Name:  weeds 11.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  40.8 KB
    anisa, BC Gal and Tbites like this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Page 10 of 149 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread Information