• 2 Post By mandolimed
  • 2 Post By nessa23
  • 2 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 2 Post By anisa
  • 4 Post By nightlite

Thread: Garden Centers letting it all die

Trading Score
    401 (100%)

Quick rant ~ I'm not talking about reputable Garden centers out there-I'm talking about Superstore, Walmart, Home depot/etc watching all those perfectly good plants-flowers and vegetables die - left unwatered and wilted -- I would have taken those off their hands for free no problem had known that they would just die!

What a waste.

Anyone in with me?
    This thread is currently associated with: Home Depot, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Walmart
    Patty Smyth, DaveP and queenkathy like this.
    ღ ღ Coupons are my Money ღ ღ ღ ღ

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The plants are in small pots and have lots of roots and will dry out faster.I'm sure the staff of these stores try their best to keep the plants watered so they can be sold.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    The plants are in small pots and have lots of roots and will dry out faster.I'm sure the staff of these stores try their best to keep the plants watered so they can be sold.
    Disagree. If that's their best then they should not be allowed out in public without helmets.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Disagree. If that's their best then they should not be allowed out in public without helmets.

I know at Super Store, it's just staff from inside who get the privilege of working garden center duty - so not necessarily well trained garden staff. There is usually 'master gardener' employed for the summer outside, to advise the customers.

In Oshawa we have had some 30 degree Celsius days and some plants can't take this.

OP, head office tells Supe rStore when to apply discounts on plants, usually end June or early July, when the garden centers are closing.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It totally depends upon location, some take as good care of the plants as they can.
    Here, lots are heavily discounted already.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post

I know at Super Store, it's just staff from inside who get the privilege of working garden center duty - so not necessarily well trained garden staff. There is usually 'master gardener' employed for the summer outside, to advise the customers.

In Oshawa we have had some 30 degree Celsius days and some plants can't take this.

OP, head office tells Supe rStore when to apply discounts on plants, usually end June or early July, when the garden centers are closing.
    Where I live, the cashiers are the only ones that come from that department to work the garden centers; the ones who look after the plants are from home and garden. They often hire students who only do the minimum requirements of their job; part of that job is watering plants, and they'll do that even when the plants are already soaked. If they are lucky, they will get someone on staff who has a bit of gardening knowledge. I feel sorry for those plants too.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

Yes, I agree. i does seem wasteful.

I buy them and they die in my garden anyway. Nothing green about my thumb.

Trading Score
    401 (100%)

All I'm saying is I'd rather take them before they die-rather than go and see them dead-or in a big heaping pile in the trash. Expecially those really expensive planeters with all varieties of lettuce/etc that cost upwards of 20+$ sometimes!
    VeeVee and DaveP like this.
    ღ ღ Coupons are my Money ღ ღ ღ ღ

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I think the plants dying is partially a management issue - they are supposed to overlook EVERYTHING in the store (garden center included when it's open) Even if the manager didn't have time during his day to take a look, you can't tell me they don't walk past it when they are coming and going.....
    I mean, yes, not everyone does their job properly and we can't expect too much from minimum wage-rs, but then the mgr should step in and say 'please water these plants before they die'
    I don't think stores get reimbursed for plants that die during the season while in their care.
    DaveP and mandolimed like this.
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I've posted this before but the Walmart near me the employees argue over who gets stuck watering, I stopped buying there.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

the sad part is, they won't even let you take the half dead ones for free. at least they'd have a chance to be rescued
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They should hire me. I'll water their plants. I have a garden that I wake up to, water and tend to every day and I enjoy it.
    It sure as hell beats doing inventory for new stocks each season and putting alarm tags on clothing (I worked retail for 8 years to get through University).
    I'd much rather water plants.

Thread Information