User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: hate hate hate being treated like a freaking child

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

happens everywhere. absolutely everywhere. i get dictated to and talked down to everywhere i go. nearly had it out with this lady at value village today when they basically to me to shut up my son who was fussy. told her to go f*** herself and to watch her mouth, she has no clue what im like when im defensive. so freaking sorry a two year old (who had behaved for an hour in there already) was ready to go and the line-ups were huge. soooooooo sorry. just because im not some forty year old mom (im 27) does not mean i am incapable of parenting.

i think people see me with my two year old and assume im some inexperienced mom who (because i look younger than my age) doesnt know what she is doing. meanwhile i have a nearly eight year old daughter and i have been there done that already in respects to little kid parenting. if i doted over his every whimper id have a terror on my hands. nuh uh.

so basically f*** off stupid people who want to parent my children from afar. shut up or i will shut you up. no problem. learning how to shut your mouth will benefit you greatly.
    This thread is currently associated with: Value Village
    aussie, GoJays, DaveP and 7 others like this.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When my oldest son was the same age as your youngest (the 2 yr old), he was fliping out in line at WM b/c he was tired and needed a nap (he was a complete angel throughout the shopping trip earlier). Some guy 2 people ahead of me and in the line directly across from mine was talking on his cell and made VERY loud and snide remarks about me and my child to the person he was talking to on the phone, while giving me dirty looks at the same time. I can tell you how happy I was to walk and then stop my crying child directly behind him so that he couldn't hear the person he was talking to. He ended up getting very angry and hung up his phone, gave me the death stare (which I gladly returned), and walked out without saying a word. The funny part of it, within a min. of him leaving, my son stopped crying. And I was young at the time (22 yrs) but looked like an older teen.

Since then I've learned how to spot the signs of an overly tired/stressed young child (youngest is 1.5 yrs), but sometimes there's nothing you can do about a melt down other then grin and bare it. I find the worst offenders, are those adults who either have much older children and have forgotten the toddler stage, or are elderly. The most forgiving people are those who have siblings who are in the toddler stage, or parents with children that age.

Friday I was at WM with my oldest and youngest (6 yrs and 1.5 yrs), and the two of them where play fighting (to anyone else it would probably look like they where actually fighting or attacking each other). I received A LOT of weird looks/dirty looks from passerbyers as I was doing nothing to stop the behaviour (hey, they where playing). Only 1 person made a comment, and she was walking by with her 3 young kids. She said, "Fun, eh?!" I loved her the moment she said it.
    wolfwoman likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

good for you....standing up for yourself! Even if you do look younger than you are they have no right...
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Last week I was in WM & this little girl (maybe 2 or 3) in front of us what just freaking out, screaming & crying, stomping her feet & the parents just argued with each other about it til the dad finally took the girl out and then I saw the girls face, one side was completely swollen! you could barely tell she had an eye there. I felt so bad for that poor girl, one of those parents should have stayed home with that kid while the other one went & did all thier shopping
    I am currently looking for coupons for non parishable foods or grocery coupons good until December to help with Christmas food helpers.
    If you have any to trade please PM me.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

The part that would concern me about what you said is that it happens everywhere.. If I run into conflict somewhere I assume its the other person.. when there are multiple instances of it I know its time to take a look at myself...
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

I can SOO relate to this! I am 31 but I have a very young face and I am always treated like a child. I hate it when people call me hun or talk in a condescending way. You can just tell they don't respect you as a grown woman. I still have to show ID to buy a lottery ticket and I am 31 years old! Maybe when I am 50 I will look my age LOL. Everyone says that I will enjoy looking young when I am older but I am so sick of it now. I had my first child at 20 and I bet I looked about 12 It was even worse when I was really overweight and young looking. People didn't respect me and I was treated like I wasn't even there sometimes. Anyway, I just wanted to share your pain. Good for you for sticking up for yourself!
    linnyeg, krysta lynne and walkonby like this.
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

Was you son watching when you "told her to go f*** herself"?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I wonder if people who don't have children are the ones to comment negatively on someone's parenting? You would think that other parents would empathize when they see upset children (afterall, we've all been through it). That said, there are some clueless parents who don't even make an effort to console their children, I think that makes people upset. Good for you for saying something...now you won't have any regrets about what you "should have said".

sweetnlow,

You are COMPLAINING about looking young?!!! Ackk!
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Oh I feel your pain. People make judgements and assumptions. It sucks for sure. I was just thinking and feeling thankful that at the age of 35, I am getting the parental respect I deserve from other adults with my 4th child, because I finally look old enough. It feels so good. I know its not because I have become wiser or more well rounded. I had had some great progressive parenting philosophies that I am still using to this day. I generally don't waste my breath when people are like that, I find it just fuels their ignorance.
    ChristieJ and snuffaluffagus like this.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/savings/wIhTlx6/]

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nainai0585 View Post
    When my oldest son was the same age as your youngest (the 2 yr old), he was fliping out in line at WM b/c he was tired and needed a nap (he was a complete angel throughout the shopping trip earlier). Some guy 2 people ahead of me and in the line directly across from mine was talking on his cell and made VERY loud and snide remarks about me and my child to the person he was talking to on the phone, while giving me dirty looks at the same time. I can tell you how happy I was to walk and then stop my crying child directly behind him so that he couldn't hear the person he was talking to. He ended up getting very angry and hung up his phone, gave me the death stare (which I gladly returned), and walked out without saying a word. The funny part of it, within a min. of him leaving, my son stopped crying. And I was young at the time (22 yrs) but looked like an older teen.

Since then I've learned how to spot the signs of an overly tired/stressed young child (youngest is 1.5 yrs), but sometimes there's nothing you can do about a melt down other then grin and bare it. I find the worst offenders, are those adults who either have much older children and have forgotten the toddler stage, or are elderly. The most forgiving people are those who have siblings who are in the toddler stage, or parents with children that age.

Friday I was at WM with my oldest and youngest (6 yrs and 1.5 yrs), and the two of them where play fighting (to anyone else it would probably look like they where actually fighting or attacking each other). I received A LOT of weird looks/dirty looks from passerbyers as I was doing nothing to stop the behaviour (hey, they where playing). Only 1 person made a comment, and she was walking by with her 3 young kids. She said, "Fun, eh?!" I loved her the moment she said it.
    the dude on the phone... thats awesome. lol
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

millie. you have no idea what i contend with. go be pretentious elsewhere
    Last edited by krysta lynne; Mon, Jun 25th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
    aussie, GoJays, salady and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post

he was in the midst of whining and didnt hear anything.
    Last edited by krysta lynne; Mon, Jun 25th, 2012 at 07:54 PM.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I wonder if people who don't have children are the ones to comment negatively on someone's parenting? You would think that other parents would empathize when they see upset children (afterall, we've all been through it). That said, there are some clueless parents who don't even make an effort to console their children, I think that makes people upset. Good for you for saying something...now you won't have any regrets about what you "should have said".

sweetnlow,

You are COMPLAINING about looking young?!!! Ackk!
    i always say something. and no to the haters on here it isnt always a go f*** yourself. if you had heard the names she was calling my son (ie re**ded idiot) you would have been upset too.
    kashkoush and misstarbender like this.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

haters on my rant thread. whatever. my baby boy gets called a re**rded idiot and i tell someone to go f*** themself and im a bad parent who should look at myself. sorry, obviously not a clue what i go through on a day to day basis. my son is a very slow learner and throws some mad tantrums because he cant get across what he wants to say. therefore i get derogatory comments everywhere i go because of his behaviour. i dont think this is a reflection on poor parenting. we do what we can to teach him, it is difficult however, we are fairly certain he is slightly autistic and its difficult to get through to him. i dont need some lady calling him names that cut me deeply
    Last edited by krysta lynne; Mon, Jun 25th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH View Post
    The part that would concern me about what you said is that it happens everywhere.. If I run into conflict somewhere I assume its the other person.. when there are multiple instances of it I know its time to take a look at myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post
    wow, judge much? both of these comments were completely rude and uncalled for.. people come to the rant section to do just that - rant - not to have other people make the op feel worse about an already frustrating situation.. think before you type

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information