User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Wow... you have a big baby... (WTF?!?)

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

haha you really can't win. I get the opposite, my 2 yr old dd is only 25lbs so I constantly get told how small she is. DH & I were both skinny kids, she's not going to be big! UGH. Other than offering her healthy food at all times, there really isnt too much I can do, she eats when she's hungry.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shmeelady View Post
    I am so freaking tired of people telling me this because they are for some reason amazed at how 'big' my child is.

Cashier "he's so cute!, how old?"
    OP, do random strangers say this to you all the time?
    Are they touching your child without your permission?

I guess, if it were me, I would have said to the cashier, " I wasn't watching the screen. How much was that Dragon Fruit (or whatever)" Just to hint to the cashier that you prefer that the groceries get the attention.

The cashier was trying to be friendly, but did not know when to stop or what was appropriate to say.
    She should not touch your DS without permission.

If it were me and people tell me how big my DS or DD is, I would say, "We are happy we have been blessed with a healthy DS/DD." Thank you for the compliment." Then I would not say anything more on that subject.

People sometimes do not think before they speak to a new parent. It's baffling.
    Natalka, Angela273, ssbean and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I have the opposite problem my dd was 9lbs at birth but is now 38lbs and 42" tall and she is 7 and in the 3rd percentile on the chart, barely. lol People are always touching her too but now it's more a pat on the head. I don't mind too much the touching as it is usually older grandparent types.

I realize it must get frustrating hearing that he is a big boy. The reality is many children are getting bigger faster these days. Not overweight just bigger in general. I think it may be time to re-do the growth charts.
    ssbean and angel_2011 like this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

ShmeLady, I feel for you! I have a now five year old who is tall (daddy is 6 feet 2 inches) and when he was a baby he wasn't long as much as he was heavy. He was a smallish guy when born (6 lbs, 13 oz), average length, but by the time of his 2 week appt. he had packed on 8 lbs, by one month he was almost 14 lbs...dr. thinks my fatty milk had a lot to do with it, that and him feeding non stop!!! Now he is solid and tall! I am sorry that the cashier had such poor manners!!

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I'd love to b*tch slap people like this.....
    Oh well.....
    You can't fix stupid
    bmpsmommy likes this.
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Well, that is rude how she put it, and touching is not acceptable!

We, too, had a 'big boy'! Never fat, just tall and built sturdy. All that matters if the child is consistent on the growth chart - he was always at the highest percentile for height and weight, and his graph was steady.
    I don't think anyone was ever rude about it, but people always always commented upon it -- sometimes while shopping, and always by people we knew. I know he got really tired of being called 'such a big boy' for years and years.

A problem we started encountering was when he was around four, and people were mistaking him for six or seven - and expecting him to have that maturity. He had the intelligence, he was reading before he was four, but not the maturity- he was just average, you know - regular! That plagued him through elementary school.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    A problem we started encountering was when he was around four, and people were mistaking him for six or seven - and expecting him to have that maturity. He had the intelligence, he was reading before he was four, but not the maturity- he was just average, you know - regular! That plagued him through elementary school.
    I know what you mean. When my DS was about 3 I had someone ask me what type of disability he had as he couldn't speak well..... I just replied he is actually a little advanced for his age (he talked a lot and he could say some bigger words that you wouldn't expect a 3 year old to say) and I think he speaks perfectly fine for a 3 YR OLD!! Now he about to enter kindergarten and I con't get him to stop talking for one minute!!!
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    93 (100%)

I get asked what school my son goes to, he's 2 1/2 and is rather tall for his age. I haven't had anyone try and touch him though! that would bug me. I get the "he's big!" comments all the time too. I am not even sure how tall he is any more but he's 33 lbs and wears a size 5 top and 3 bottom, he's all body lol. Poeple don't realize he's two so they expect him to behave differently than he does, I find I have to remind myself sometimes he's only two as well, he just looks so much older... Hard to remember when he was itty bitty...

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Growth chart 1912
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Fri, Aug 10th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Oh My Goodness, your rant was a page out of my DS' and my life!!!

To make you feel that you aren't alone: He was the size of a one yr old @ 5 mos, the size of a four yr old @ 2, and now is 3 (end of June) wearing a size 7/8. Mind you, I just bought a pr of size 10 pants at Walmart for $5.00 that fit- just need a good amount chopped off the bottom!

I can't tell you how many times this past spring I was asked, while shopping, why he wasn't in school. People do say the worst things. And I have heard alot. I am trying very hard to give a positive spin to my son about his size, like how strong he is, how he can reach certain things.. etc., but it can be hard. He understands that he is a big boy. I was "big" too- I am from a long line of polish farm people. Seen the olympic weight lifting women?'Nuff said!

One lady though, said it best when she found out how old he was, she looked him in the eyes and told him "Well, that just shows me how loved you are!" It became my come back, every time.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Actually, Patty, that isn't so different now regarding the adults - for Canada, average adult man is 5'8", woman 5'4".

Milan was 12 or 13 already 6' and wearing size 13 shoes. Both husband and I have large feet, and are well above average height.
    Yay for all that milk, cheese, and meat!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    154 (100%)

I can completely relate. Both my boys were over 9 pounds at birth, I heard that they were big all the time. My youngest is 7 months and over 19 pounds. Until he was 6 months he was only breastfed and people would be shocked when I told them that. Do people think we sit home feeding our babies cookies and ice cream
    My oldest is now 2 and a half and is only 28 pounds. He completely slimmed down once he started crawling
    Natalka likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

Both my kids were big babies. My son 10/9 and my daughter 8/10. My son spent the first 2 nights in the NICU and people kept asking how long he had been there cause he was so big. He is now 6'2" and not yet 16, size 12/13 feet. (I think he takes after my grandfather, as he is taller than both hubby and I) My daughter wasn't on the big side of the scale for long she is the second smallest in her class now. (I was always the smallest in my class)
    We did get the "wow he's a big baby ALOT" really annoying.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

This happens to my friend a lot as well. Her 11 month old daughter is huge, but it's not because she's over-fed ... it's genetic: the father is about 6'7" and well over 300 lbs. Tired of the comments, she has started responding with "...yup, I ripped from toes to nose giving birth to her." That shuts them up! Seriously. Kinda like, you wanna make me upset and uncomfortable, I'll make you upset and uncomfortable too!
    Last edited by maidennomore; Fri, Aug 10th, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

Join me at
    Swagbucks, earn free
    Amazon gift cards and never pay for DVDs or books again!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i hear ya! My daughter was born 8lbs 6oz but by 6 months she was 28lbs! She was in 2 year old clothing at 6 months. But she is now 2 and weighs 21 lbs and is still in 2 year clothing. Now all my friends are saying she looks like shes underweight for her age!!! Shes healthy but she is very active now! People just have to have their opinion heard/voiced, even when it is not welcome.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information