User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Wow... you have a big baby... (WTF?!?)

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

I am so freaking tired of people telling me this because they are for some reason amazed at how 'big' my child is.

DS is 16 months, 36 inches and 29lbs.

YES he is bigger but it's not like he's a huge mass of fat. Seriously I get really offended and annoyed when random people are like "how old is he?", "WOW he's a big boy", "He must like to eat."

What topped it off was yesterday I was at Walmart and this cashier didn't know when to shut her mouth, I honestly wanted to slap her.

Cashier "he's so cute!, how old?"
    Me "thanks! 16 months."
    Cashier "wow! Really?! He's huge!"
    Me while rollling eyes "Yeep, he's a big boy"
    Cashier "he must love his sweets"
    Me raising my eyebrows....
    Cashier, grabs my sons leg and is pinching it while saying "mommy must feed you lots of sweets, and I bet you love them"

So at this point I pushed the cart away where she couldn't touch him. She smiled and kept trying to make small talk, I didn't want to say anything but SERIOUSLY?!?!? One, shut your mouth and two don't touch my child. Just because my son is healthy don't assume that I stuff his face full of sweets, on the contrary we don't eat sweets. He get's a juicebox maybe twice a week, he doesn't get cookies or puddings of jello's. Yes my friends may consider me the "mean" mom but why does a kid need that extra crap?! He loves veggies and fruits, he even eats tofu and veggie meats.

End Rant.
    Sorry but I just cannot believe the audacity of some people!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

lol!

i laugh because i hear ya. my son isnt even two and a half and he weighs in at over 40 pounds. thing is, he does not have a roll on him, he is lean hard muscle. at birth he was 10lbs 6oz, so he has always been very big for his age. he is already in 4 year old clothes. (though he has a narrow waist so i need the pants that adjust) and his feet are already 12. i very often am met with confusion because people think he is so much older and expect a lot out of him, so he may come across as slightly underdeveloped. sigh.

thing is. people always have an opinion and always invade personal space. i have told people to gtf away. i wouldnt touch someone elses kid. ever. so dont touch mine. its a shame more people dont understand this
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

I understand where both of you are coming from.

My son was/is big & tall for his age too. I always had problems buying clothes for him, cause he never fit in his age category. I understand where ur coming from krysta, cause my son was the youngest in his grade (born dec 31), but the teacher & subs would always expect more from him cuz he was "bigger" than the other kids. He too comes off as slightly underdeveloped and is quite shy among his other classmates (cuz in his eyes, they are bigger than him, lol).

I dont like when strangers touch my kids either - a) I don't know you and b) I don't know where your hands have been. It's like the pregnant belly syndrome (when strangers love to touch your belly).

Oh, i forgot to add - when people tell me how big my children are - I just tell them that they get it from their father's side, lol
    Last edited by angel_2011; Fri, Aug 10th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Hahah, I took my kids to the public health nurse, my son is four, she said, "I am going to recommend you send him to Desile for Jr High and High School, they have a good football team, but dont worry, they will find you"....I guess its to be expected as my husband is 6'4, 280lbs, and the smallest of all the male cousins in his family :S
    DiamondLil, ssbean and angel_2011 like this.
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Egads, I used to get this like crazy with my first baby.

He was only 8lbs 5oz & 21 inches long at birth, but by 6 months he was just over 16 lbs & 31 inches long; he hit the 30 lb mark by 1 year.

He's 18 now & has hit 6ft at this point, but I have no idea what he weighs, though it would be average for a boy of his age/height.

He was always a very solid, sturdy baby with a good appetite, so I learned to simply ignore people's comments.

He gets his height etc from my Mom's side of the family as it's certainly not from me (5ft3) or his father (the ex is 5ft7). All the boys on my Mom's side of the family are 6ft1 to 6ft7, and on my ex's side of the family, no-one exceeds 5ft9.
    ssbean and angel_2011 like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bgheuchert View Post
    Hahah, I took my kids to the public health nurse, my son is four, she said, "I am going to recommend you send him to Desile for Jr High and High School, they have a good football team, but dont worry, they will find you"....I guess its to be expected as my husband is 6'4, 280lbs, and the smallest of all the male cousins in his family :S
    Woah wait a second. your son is 4 and is 6'4 and 280lbs. Did you mean 14?

I'd freak if someone touched my child, its bad enough when someone touches me. In what world is it okay to just randomly touch a stranger?!?!
    ssbean likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

People can be so rude without even realizing it. I hated when people told me how huge "I" was when I was expecting! Really?? Like I didn't realize!! Makes you want to start pointing out things about how they look, but of course, we don't. We have manners.
    Jonesy

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

hahah,no my son is not that big yet, just my husband, and yah by the time he was 15 he was 6'4 220, my 4 year old is not quit there
    ssbean likes this.
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    104 (100%)

LOL

I completely understand. My son was so small when he was born (6 lbs 2oz) and he just turned 6 months old this month and is already 18lbs and really long (haven't measured him recently...) He has the normal baby chub on his thighs, but other than that, he's just a big boy....not fat at all, just big and tall. I always get the "wow, what a big boy", "whoa, he's going to be a BIG boy when he's older" ....welllllllll no kidding, look at his dad! geez! just because they see him with me and I'm only 5'1....well they aren't seeing his dad who's over 6 feet and has a bigger build to his body!

As well, ahhhhhhh I hate strangers touching my baby!! :O

Although my biggest pet peeve since day 1 of him being born is: people trying to tell me how to parent my own child. (aka my mom, MIL, friends, family...) i don't care what you did 30 years ago, things are different these days! LOL
    ssbean, angel_2011 and bmpsmommy like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Woah wait a second. your son is 4 and is 6'4 and 280lbs. Did you mean 14?

I'd freak if someone touched my child, its bad enough when someone touches me. In what world is it okay to just randomly touch a stranger?!?!
    No, her DH is 6'4" and 280 lbs. But if I ever saw a 4-year-old like that, I'd probably get out of the way of all the people running and waving basketball contracts at him.

*Sorry, late post.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Fri, Aug 10th, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: *see note
    ssbean and DolceBella like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Haha you get the "your baby is big" and I get the "your baby is small". My youngest DS is 20 months and 23lbs and about 32" tall. He eats alot of food but is very active and keeps the weight off!
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I guess I'm the only one on this page with a big daughter? lol. She is just over 2 and close to 34lbs and just over 3 feet. Shes in size 4 clothes and looks more like a 3 year old. Shes off the growth charts(both height and weight) for girls. When we tell people shes 2 their jaws hit the floor. They're like "oh, almost 3 then?" we say "no, just turned 2".

On the other hand, my newest baby, another girl born July 4th was 8lbs 9oz and 22 1/4 inches long. Shes big, but tiny at the same time. Everyone was "wow, that's a big baby", I'm like "No, thats normal"

People need to learn how to think before they speak, but on the otherhand, maybe it will happen to them one day.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Shmee, our babies are the same size! My DS was just at his 15 month check up a few days ago and he was 36.5 inches and 29.07 pounds! lol.

I hear you about the big boy comments. I ignore them completely. Easier said than done, I know. Now if anyone touched him, I'd be extremely upset! I have no idea why random people think it's okay to touch a baby they dont know???

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Both of my sons have been big, fast-growing babies, and I love the "big boy" comments. (I'm not sure how much I'd like "big girl" comments, though!) My now 3-year old got active, stretched out, and got skinny at about two and a half, but he was a big baby. His brother is even bigger -- he blasted through the infant clothing sizes. At 6 months, he started wearing 24 month clothes. His growth is slowing down now, and he's stretching rather than gaining weight, though I'm sure he'll be wearing his brother's current wardrobe next summer.

I'm sure the cashier meant well, but her comments about the sweets were pretty inappropriate.
    Angela273, ssbean and angel_2011 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    442 (100%)

All l know is that you have a very sweet little boy there. He is a real cutie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information