User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: Expensive Healthy Eating

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

i love the bulk store to try things too -yep they do have promo's -sometimes i walk out witha tiny bag of fresh bridge mixture(2.00) worth-only a little bit goes a long way to my craving of chocolate
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Tofu is a great option if you like it and can eat it (I know some people can't for health reasons). I don't eat meat so I use it not only for stir fries, but to make veggie meatloaf and veggie burgers. I've also used it in chili and cabbage rolls. You can also make dips and desserts with it. If you get it from a Oriental grocery store, it's not expensive and it's better than most of the packaged stuff

Silk
    i've heard alot of bad things about tofu.
    Since working in an alternative food market, you find out lots of interesting facts about food.
    as for tofu i've heard that it can cause infertility in women. don't know if it's 100% true but if so that's kind of scary.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    I live very close to Queen and Spadina so where is this place that you were shopping at? I would be interested in knowing if it's cheaper than shopping at some of the other stores I have been going to lately since I find most grocery stores so overpriced here.
    I never knew that it had an English name so I had to look it up on Google. I think it's called Hua Long. They don't accept anything but cash and if you buy cheese, milk, or yogurt, you'll have to make a second trip to another store. I found that even with a 5% cash back on my CC, it was still better to shop there. For that place, and that place only, I carried cash in T.O. There's also a bakery around the corner that's Gail Vaz Oxlade's favourite and sells buns 3 for $1. You might see her around on Mondays.

The lineups are crazy (obviously because of the prices), but you'll wish they hired cashiers this fast at other grocery stores though! Take out your money before your groceries are rung in, because they'll have everything scanned and bagged before I can blink most days.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by c_mcarthur View Post
    Since working in an alternative food market, you find out lots of interesting facts about food.
    as for tofu i've heard that it can cause infertility in women. don't know if it's 100% true but if so that's kind of scary.
    Mum comes from a family of nine children and my dad is one of ten children and they've been eating tofu and soy forever (lactose intolerances). I'm one of four children and it's one of the things I'd eat at every meal if I could. We eat about four large containers a week and I'm currently three months preggers, so no issues here!

Actually, doesn't tofu originate from the countries with the highest populations? Maybe someone should let them know about this cheap method of birth control.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Thu, Feb 21st, 2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify number of kids in the family.
    anisa, r0c0upons and Candini like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I totally agree that some items can be really expensive when trying to eat healthy. There are some other ways to eat healthy though. When people think of veggies, they think of fresh produce. Fresh produce is obviously the best, but you can make some compromises. Frozen comes in a close second as the veggies are picked when fresh and flash frozen. Frozen veggies tend to have almost as many vitamins as fresh. The third is canned veggies. They have the most opportunity to lose their vitamins, but they are still healthy. You can also purchase dried beans and whole wheat pasta.

I think that there is some sort of preconceived idea that the USA has better coupons. I have been visiting family in New England, USA for the past two months, and will be moving here sometime soon. While there are a number of coupons, they have just as many coupon policies as Canada has. Most stores don't allow overages at all. Sometimes they won't accept the coupon at all if there will be an overage, so that means no savings! There are many more products to choose from, but the sales are really that great. I still spend about $100 a week for two people. There isn't any savings for dairy, eggs, meat, seafood, deli meat, and produce. They don't price match at all, so you do have to drive to the different stores to take advantage of the savings. Normally I'd go to the Wal-Mart to price match everything, but the Wal-Mart in my area doesn't have groceries.

The only advantage that the states has is a savings card. Each store has a card that you use. You can only take advantage of the savings in the flyer if you have the store card. The store card tracks what you buy, so it seems like a lack of privacy.
    anisa likes this.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

The only reason I compare to the USA is because I used to shop there when my hubby lived in Buffalo. I loved shopping at Tops, was soooo cheap, the savings card plus coupons was great (not comparing it to extreme couponing, hehe).

And again, thanks for some more tips. They will help out.

And I think as someone else said it is seeming more expensive too because we need to shop more often for the fresh fruit and veggies so I am seeing more grocery trips and therefore thinking more expensive. However, looking at my receipts from past months to this month I am spending about 100 more a month. I am hoping to cut it down to only 50 per month over what we are used to with some of the tips you have given me.

Oh and the WW expense is the least of my worries. I got the online membership as a gift.
    anisa likes this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Dayanara - Earn free stuff just for searching the web!

http://www.wagjag.com/?wid=66bba0e75...fbd07b4aef23ad - WagJag it up! Great deals at a fraction of the cost.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think that calorie for calorie and dollar for dollar, eating healthy is much cheaper than eating junk.

A large apple (I mean big for comparison sake) can weigh about 1/2 of a pound and is about 150 calories.
    A 1/2 lb of potatoe chips (half of a large bag) is 1250 ish calories.

Apples are about $1.00/lb, so the apple would cost about $0.50 to buy.
    The large bag of chips (more bang for your buck) are about $3.49, so half is $1.75.....plus tax.

An apple has no fat, lots of fibre and loads of vitamins and minerals that our bodies need.
    A half bag of chips has 85 grams of fat, half your daily intake of salt and lots of bad carbs.

That apple is going to take its time to digest, and keep your fuller, longer, where as that half bag of chips is going to run through you and make you want more real soon.

Then add on the negative health implications from eating an unhealthy lifestyle, like being obese, heart issues, diabetes etc.....well give me that apple please!!!!!

There is a major misconception about proportions these days. People sit down to a meal and have no idea how much more they are eating than what they really do need to be eating. This, as well as making bad food choices and not getting enough daily activity is what is causing obesity rates to skyrocket.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 08:09 AM.
    anisa likes this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I never knew that it had an English name so I had to look it up on Google. I think it's called Hua Long. They don't accept anything but cash and if you buy cheese, milk, or yogurt, you'll have to make a second trip to another store. I found that even with a 5% cash back on my CC, it was still better to shop there. For that place, and that place only, I carried cash in T.O. There's also a bakery around the corner that's Gail Vaz Oxlade's favourite and sells buns 3 for $1. You might see her around on Mondays.

The lineups are crazy (obviously because of the prices), but you'll wish they hired cashiers this fast at other grocery stores though! Take out your money before your groceries are rung in, because they'll have everything scanned and bagged before I can blink most days.
    I will try to find it next time I venture that way and check it out. I keep saying I will go to china town to buy produce and things but I never end up going lol. I usually have cash since no frills only takes debit and I get charged a fee to use my debit card I use my credit card for shopping at other grocery stores that take it though since I get decent cash back at the end of the year.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by c_mcarthur View Post
    I've never heard that before. One of my first thoughts was: But soy/tofu is heavily consumed in China and they are over-populated, so how can that be? lol

But did a google search and found lots of the same concern/questions -- but about possible infertility in men, not women -- and also found this article that imo puts things in perspective:

http://www.familydoctormag.com/nutri...and-women.html

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Thu, Feb 21st, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
    c_mcarthur likes this.
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly5 View Post
    I think that there is some sort of preconceived idea that the USA has better coupons. I have been visiting family in New England, USA for the past two months, and will be moving here sometime soon. While there are a number of coupons, they have just as many coupon policies as Canada has. Most stores don't allow overages at all. Sometimes they won't accept the coupon at all if there will be an overage, so that means no savings! There are many more products to choose from, but the sales are really that great. I still spend about $100 a week for two people. There isn't any savings for dairy, eggs, meat, seafood, deli meat, and produce. They don't price match at all, so you do have to drive to the different stores to take advantage of the savings. Normally I'd go to the Wal-Mart to price match everything, but the Wal-Mart in my area doesn't have groceries.

The only advantage that the states has is a savings card. Each store has a card that you use. You can only take advantage of the savings in the flyer if you have the store card. The store card tracks what you buy, so it seems like a lack of privacy.
    I'm not sure what states you have been shopping in, in the USA, but I just wanted to add, or correct a few things you stated. The SS and RP inserts that come out weekly (I think they miss perhaps 4 weeks in a year only), have many coupons for dairy, meat and poultry, seafood and especially deli meats. They're not in every single insert, but they definitely have a lot of them. I have tons of coupons in my holder currently for all these products. I even have coupons for fresh veggies and any type of beef steak. I get those coupons off the booze bottles at the store, and I used a coupon for the bottle of booze. I have never seen a booze coupon of any type in our SS back home, but here, tons of them. I'm in Texas currently, but also pick up coupons in our travels as well. We were in Florida for 2 months this winter and the coupons were the same there. While some stores have cards, such as CVS, Walgreens, Albertsons, Win Dixie and so on, lots do not. There is no card for Target (unless you have their credit card), Wal-Mart, HEB, Sav-a-lot and many others. Also Wal-Mart DOES price match and give overages, same as in Canada The thing I like about couponing here is that almost all coupons now have the new wording "LIMIT OF 4 LIKE COUPONS PER PERSON PER DAY" This really helps to stop people from taking huge quantities of an item and leaves lots for everyone else to also get the same deal" I'm hoping that wording comes to Canadian coupons as well. A lot of coupons here though, are for small amounts, so I find it works best if you can find a store that doubles coupons (and there are not to many of those left either). K-Mart will double coupons, but they will only double the first coupon and won't double any coupons more than $1 unless they are having one of their special sale days. But, to be entitled to have your coupons doubled, you MUST be a member (have a card)....which of coarse I do Now, having clarified a few things, I just want to say that I would much rather coupon at home in Canada. If your in a warmer state, fresh veggies can be much cheaper though as they get 2 and sometime (like where I am RGV) 3 gardens a year.
    anisa and lecale like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I've never heard that before. One of my first thoughts was: But soy/tofu is heavily consumed in China and they are over-populated, so how can that be? lol

But did a google search and found lots of the same concern/questions -- but about possible infertility in men, not women -- and also found this article that imo puts things in perspective:

http://www.familydoctormag.com/nutri...and-women.html

Silk

I have also read a lot of studies that say eating too much soy for women can increase breast cancer risks because soy mimics estrogen. I avoid eating soy based products as much as possible since cancer runs in my family and I definitely don't want to speed up the process for myself any or increase my risk.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I now try to buy my stuff to different places. I am lucky enough to have some food market close to my home. Buying the fruits and vegetables to the market, I really can save a lot of money! I get our family ratio for about 20-25$ and that includes several berries, even out of the season. I buy the meat from a butcher when it is a good value, sometimes it feels more expensive but the meat is better quality than at the the grocery, less fat, better cuts, less trimming to do so you loose less!
    I agree about tofu! Also, eggs (omelette, quiche, egg noodles) and beans (vegetarian chili, dips, salads, soups) are high in proteins and really affordable!
    I really check to bogo and coupons rebates offers! For example, I think I haven't paid for yogurt in a year and my freezer is still full of Eggo waffles that I got for free in cereal boxes.
    My grocery budget is from 60-150$ a week and that includes booze, personal care products and diapers for our little one!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Eating healthy isn't expensive for us at all and it's certainly cheaper than dining out or even eating at a fast food place!

Meats, I stock up on when there's a sale. Lots of whole chickens ($1 - $2/lb), chicken breasts ($2-$2.50/lb), strip loin steaks ($3/lb), ground beef ($2/lb), pork chops (88¢ - $1/lb) etc. all goes in the chest freezer.
    Milk, we don't consume too much of this but will purchase with coupons every month or so.
    Staples like butter, sugar, flour, oil, beans- I also stock up on when ridiculously cheap + coupons as they keep for awhile.
    Produce/eggs gets purchased every week and I only buy flyer/sale items! Whatever is on sale that week, we eat.
    I can often find 10lbs of carrots, onions, potatoes on sale for 99¢-$2 and that lasts a while.
    Pastas, rice, bread and quinoa are always on rotation for meals. I make my own bread at home sometimes too.

Everything we eat, we eat in moderation! We try to eat a balance meal and include lots of greens. Lettuce is only 99¢ a bunch or cheaper!

We avoid cold cuts as we find that roast chicken (salad) sandwiches are way better tasting.
    None of us consume alcohol, we're big fans of drinking water and tea and will occasionally drink juice/pop.
    Everybody gets a homemade lunch to reheat for the next day made from left overs.
    There's rarely any chips, cookies or junk food here. I'll make cakes and cookies etc. every so often.

I'd say we spend less than $45 a week on groceries for a family of 4 adults.
    Sometimes a little more if we decide to buy live seafood (fish or shrimp) or if we buy roasted meats from the store, but that's only a about twice a month.

lol, needless to say, I do a lot of price matching and the folks at my local Walmart are familiar with my PM-ing and couponing ways..haha.
    lecale, walkonby and Candini like this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    208 (100%)

I agree. Home cooked food is way better for you as well as less expensive. I don't remember the last time I bought pre made patties. My kids would rather have homemade burgers, pizza etc than take out.

Quote Originally Posted by Safyre View Post
    This is very true. I've always cooked at home, and lately doing it even more frequently, moving into breads and more complicated dishes. The fact that I make my own hamburger patties, or chicken fingers, amazes my friends. It is much cheaper to do it myself than to buy prepackaged, plus I know what I put in them!
    Just last night I was aaking where to get slider burger buns and then realized I can just make them myself. I make tons of other breads, never buns but hey, fresh is best and homemade is better!
    walkonby likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information