User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: Expensive Healthy Eating

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I really wish we had couponing like in the USA, would love to stack and have a bunch of overages so I could get money off my fruits and veggies.

I have started eating much healthier lately and spending over 75-100 every week for my hubby and I to eat healthy really hurts. Not too many coupons out there for the healthy stuff. I shop around and price match where I can, but still hurts. Tried Costco and it is not that great for most things either. Price difference not really that much compared to good sales and sometimes food gets wasted because we don't eat it fast enough.

I want to see coupons for apples/bananas/etc etc...lol (although I do remember the Sunkist oranges one, that was good)

I know, I know, keep dreaming.
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco
    Ceren, walkonby, Candini and 2 others like this.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Dayanara - Earn free stuff just for searching the web!

http://www.wagjag.com/?wid=66bba0e75...fbd07b4aef23ad - WagJag it up! Great deals at a fraction of the cost.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Anyone else remember when websaver had the FPC bananas AND a glitch?

I can`t tell you how many times those coupons were duplicated.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Hopefully OP this year they come out with the 75c produce again and the fpc strawberries & bananas.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

it's true eating healthy is much more expensive than eating garbage

this picture stuck with me

Name:  535756_345933868848624_4329396_n.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  130.2 KB

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

We spend about 160-200/wk on groceries for the 3 of us, and I would say half is on fruits and veggies, and that usually won't even last us a week. It's so expensive to eat healthy and the odd time I find a coupon for healthy meat or produce I need to buy crap to use it or get it.
    coupon girl likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

OP, that is why when I got the chance to use my Tena pad $5.00 overage coupons I chose to buy ALL food to try to ease the pain of our ever increasing grocery bills as we have gone GF, 90% DF, and Organic as much as possible, and like Lyssia510 said, much of the bill is fruits and veg. Yikes it makes one want to cry sometimes when the " easier " way would be to fill my cart up with empty calories, additives, extra fat, sugar and salt.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm not entirely convinced eating healthy is that much more expensive. Half my diet is tomato or celery soup which offsets the cost of more expensive items, and Chunky Beef often goes on sale for $1.75 and bags of rice are cheap when you buy them in large bags.

The other half of my diet is a bit more expsnive I do admit, you don't need to spend $5.00 for a salad for one person either, wal-mart has $2.99 ready to go salads in a bag for $2.99 and can be shared by 2 people.

I don't buy into this organic craze, so when I buy fruits and veggies, I buy the normal stuff.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

p.s. I am not sure what school was like for all y'all, but in teh early 90's, there was this craze going on that forcing kids to participate in physical education was discrimination and they allowed kids to opt out... which more than half did.

Even now, PE doesn't even make kids sweat any-more.

p.s. anyone remember the craze around the same time to force schools to stop keeping score during competitive games??
    walkonby and Tbites like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Spend $5.00 - $6.00 on lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc and eat salad for a week. $2.99 for a ready made salad is way too expensive, IMO. Why pay someone else to make the salad when you can do it yourself and save.

Primo and Campbell soups are often on sale for $1.00 a can for ready to eat, but you can get the same thing in the condensed version for half that price. So many ways to eat healthy for less.
    A bag of carrots is $1.00. Cut them into bite size pieces and it's cheaper than buying the $3.00 bag of baby cut carrots and you probably get the same amount of carrot and maybe more. You pay for convenience. If you're willing to spend some time you can cut the bills in half by doing the work yourself.
    anisa, abbasgirl, Natalka and 16 others like this.
    I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
    anisa, abbasgirl, Natalka and 17 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by electric_viking View Post
    Spend $5.00 - $6.00 on lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc and eat salad for a week. $2.99 for a ready made salad is way too expensive, IMO. Why pay someone else to make the salad when you can do it yourself and save.
    Lazy men. Amazing how little dishes I have to wash

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i don't understand why eating and cooking from scratch and eating healthy is considered expensive?

ppl see nothing in paying 2.99 for a bag of chips, 1:50 for a box of crackers, 2.50 for a case of pop, but wince at paying the same amount for some healthy, fresh produce. the produce fills you more, leaves you feeling better.

yes, meat is relatively expensive, but you can make it stretch. buy bigger cuts, and trim them yourself. package and pop into the freezer.
    keep an assortment of spices in your cupboard.
    a few staples in your pantry like canned tomatoes, beans etc, and you can make anything you want. literally anything!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I think there are a lot of cheap things to eat that are healthy, it is just that people have turned away from home cooking and expect restaurant meals at home. My next planned project is split pea soup...you wouldn't find that as an entree anywhere but with some crusty bread it is a really nice meal.
    This is very true. I've always cooked at home, and lately doing it even more frequently, moving into breads and more complicated dishes. The fact that I make my own hamburger patties, or chicken fingers, amazes my friends. It is much cheaper to do it myself than to buy prepackaged, plus I know what I put in them!
    Just last night I was aaking where to get slider burger buns and then realized I can just make them myself. I make tons of other breads, never buns but hey, fresh is best and homemade is better!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i envy all of you that make your own bread. for some reason making bread has always scared me, even though for a few years i had been making my own pizza dough. nothing as intoxicating as the smell of fresh dough baking!

i make fresh flatbread almost every night, but to me that isn't the same. there's something so much more romantic about fresh baked loaves
    Angela273, kazm-l, lecale and 5 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 03:57 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information