User Tag List

Page 9 of 81 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Loves To Save SimplifiedMommyTips's Avatar
    Trading Score
    260 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    I threw our budget out the window yesterday. We were found out yesterday that my MIL has less than 6 months less now that her cancer is officially terminal. We had everyone up last night to have a big chat and hug fest and we ordered in. I don't care.
    Sorry to hear about your MIL, may the love of God comfort you and your family.
    gourmetsue likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I cook them first, then freeze in 20 counts. Then I just thaw and add to spaghetti sauce, VH garlic sauce whatever takes my fancy on that particular day. Sometimes I will make batches of garlic meatballs as I find there is always leftover sauce and this way I get to make numerous batches at once using the same sauce....saves $ and time in the end.

PS I also freeze the left over garlic sauce for the next time......it all adds up (lol).

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher1962 View Post
    Do you cook your meatballs first and then freeze them or freeze them raw?
    lecale and dreamcatcher1962 like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    260 (100%)

so I started baking bread this morning, I was hoping to have it for breakfast, set up the timer for this morning, but apparently I did not do it right and there was no bread this morning for breakfast. I just turn it on anyways and will save it for later, however it did not come out as I was expecting. It supposed to make a 2.5 lbs bread and it just came out to be very densed but small in size, I am a trying hard baker ever. Don't know what is wrong that the dough did not rise, maybe it is the yeast, my yeast is at least two years I think that is how long I have not been baking bread, any thoughts from the experts ???
    Last edited by SimplifiedMommyTips; Mon, Mar 4th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I don't own the pressure canner it's my parents, they are only around 5 months of the year so they leave it with me to use. Otherwise I would have to purchase my own and they are very expensive.

So I went the meatball only route today, no spaghetti sauce. I got locked out of the house today so I've been in a pissy mood, so I went the easy route.

TOTAL MEATBALLS: 229

Garlic meatballs & rice is on the menu for tonights dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    Canning is something I would LOVE to do. Seems so expensive to get started though.

I freeze mine in those Ziploc twistable containers. Speaking of which, I need to make some this week too.

Just vaccuum sealed 5 packages of turkey, plus the stew I'll make tomorrow. That's at least 7 meals, for 6 people, from a $38 turkey. Man, I love turkey!!
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Mon, Mar 4th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
    Insane, gourmetsue and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    260 (100%)

trying very hard LOL, yes better to have little helper , newbie on training.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    wow sounds like you`re on a roll and nothing better than having a helper!
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I'm not a bread maker but I would say your yeast has expired or is too old.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplifiedMommyTips View Post
    so I started baking bread this morning, I was hoping to have it for breakfast, set up the timer for this morning, but apparently I did not do it right and there was no bread this morning for breakfast. I just turn it on anyways and will save it for later, however it did not come out as I was expecting. It supposed to make a 2.5 lbs bread and it just came out to be very densed but small in size, I am a trying hard baker ever. Don't know what is wrong that the dough did not rise, maybe it is the yeast, my yeast is at least two years I think that is how long I have not been baking bread, any thoughts from the experts ???
    krysta lynne and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

So tomorrow I will be making turkey soup "SEEMS TO BE THE THEME THESE DAYS ON THIS THREAD" lol for dh's turn in the work soup club. I have to make enough for 14 bowls/people, I'm hoping to have leftovers but I'm not sure there will be any as I am hoping to serve soup & bread tomorrow for supper and send enough for the "SOUP CLUB".

Does anyone else participate in a club at work (coffee, soup, etc)? I think it's a great idea & saves $ in the long run.

When I worked at HC (Health Canada) I was in the coffee club.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

This is live right now.

https://www.facebook.com/LiberteCan#...31085883639259

45,000 free* yogurt coupons until March 10, 2013
    jasperandchar likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

So I'm thinking ahead to next week, my mom wants to come over during March Break for a day or so,

SO I am THINKING that I could use the extra hands and will get her to help me do some canning, I'm sure she won't mind me putting her to work while the boys are busy doing their thing. My mom likes canning so it won't be a problem.

1. Deer Meat
    2. Spaghetti sauce
    3. Turkey soup (lol)
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks for posting macw1960!

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    This is live right now.

https://www.facebook.com/LiberteCan#...31085883639259

45,000 free* yogurt coupons until March 10, 2013

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

It could be your yeast or it also could be the order in which the ingredients were put in the bread machine. If they are put in, in the wrong order it may deactivate your yeast especially if you set it on the timer so the ingredients were sitting in the bread machine over night. I have never used the timer feature on my bread machine as I usually make it to go with dinner.

I love my bread machine I just do not have the patients to make bread any other way.

macw1960, lecale and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Does anyone hang their clothes inside the house in the winter or outside?

I do both

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I make my bread by hand now. I love it. It's a lot of fun and theurapetic to knead that dough! It doesn't take much time. Just lots of down time. I use this recipe....
    http://myhealthygreenfamily.com/blog...es-like-white/

Proof your yeast. Then you'll know if it's still good. Dissolve about 1 1/2 tsp of yeast in about a 1/4 cup of warm water (warm, not hot, that'll kill your yeast). Add about a tsp of sugar or honey. Swirl it a bit with your finger. Let it sit. It should start foaming and bubbling after 10-15ish minutes. If it doesn't your yeast is dead.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I don't own the pressure canner it's my parents, they are only around 5 months of the year so they leave it with me to use. Otherwise I would have to purchase my own and they are very expensive.

So I went the meatball only route today, no spaghetti sauce. I got locked out of the house today so I've been in a pissy mood, so I went the easy route.

TOTAL MEATBALLS: 229

Garlic meatballs & rice is on the menu for tonights dinner.
    Share your recipe!! I have yet to find a recipe the kids like as much as store bought ones.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

No recipe, just straight ground beef rolled into balls and then thrown into whatever you choose.

Tonights case is meatballs in garlic VH sauce.
    matty's mom likes this.

Page 9 of 81 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread Information