User Tag List

Page 10 of 81 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    No recipe, just straight ground beef rolled into balls and then thrown into whatever you choose.

Tonights case is meatballs in garlic VH sauce.
    Do you put the raw meatballs right into the VH sauce and then cook them ?
    Or do you put them on a cookie sheet, cook them in the oven and then reheat them in the VH sauce?
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Loves To Save SimplifiedMommyTips's Avatar
    Trading Score
    260 (100%)

sure enough the yeast is no good, thanks for the tip, now I am looking for yeast on sale, anyone knows where ???

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I make my bread by hand now. I love it. It's a lot of fun and theurapetic to knead that dough! It doesn't take much time. Just lots of down time. I use this recipe....
    http://myhealthygreenfamily.com/blog...es-like-white/

Proof your yeast. Then you'll know if it's still good. Dissolve about 1 1/2 tsp of yeast in about a 1/4 cup of warm water (warm, not hot, that'll kill your yeast). Add about a tsp of sugar or honey. Swirl it a bit with your finger. Let it sit. It should start foaming and bubbling after 10-15ish minutes. If it doesn't your yeast is dead.
    Insane likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

1. I cook the meatballs in the oven on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes at 350.

2. Then I add the VH garlic sauce in my pot and throw in the meatballs - let them sit like that for about 10 minutes (stirring the meatballs so that the sauce soaks in).

3. Then I simmer them on the stovetop for another 10 minutes stirring occasionally so that the sauce soaks in, then serve them.

4. I also make batches of these and freeze them in containers, HOWEVER mostly freeze them in ziploc bags.

5. I freeze the sauce that is left over also for the next batch I make down the road or for garlic ribs, etc.....as the sauce is still good and don't want to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher1962 View Post
    Do you put the raw meatballs right into the VH sauce and then cook them ?
    Or do you put them on a cookie sheet, cook them in the oven and then reheat them in the VH sauce?
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

never fails....it's like when you want a bowl of cereal and there's no milk

Quote Originally Posted by SimplifiedMommyTips View Post
    sure enough the yeast is no good, thanks for the tip, now I am looking for yeast on sale, anyone knows where ???

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
    YOU AND ME and jasperandchar like this.

Loves To Save SimplifiedMommyTips's Avatar
    Trading Score
    260 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I was in Food Basics this week and they had their yeast on sale (unadvertised, YMMV)

thank you, will check that out..

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Okay- so a crazy busy weekend, and $ spent. Because I spend my budget for food according to sales, and I needed stuff, I spent a third of my monthly budget this week. Oh well, we will use it this month for sure.

On the upside, we went to the library for DS and I decided to check the Bargain Shop beside. I found CHEAP RAINBOOTS!!!! They were on clearance!!! (I am very happy about that- can't you tell? LOL!)
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

It was painful but I decided to skip the SDM promo this weekend. I REALLY wanted to shop.
    I even went in there to look but to hit $75 I would be buying things I don't need...man it was hard though!
    I *may* do the 20x WUS $50 tomorrow as that is a threshold that is doable with grocery/toilet paper.
    I ended up going to No Frills to get my free dove shampoo and butter (which I needed) as it was the cheapest I could find.
    Then on to Sobeys for the items I needed for the rest of the week. DH is not happy I am not buying extras like chips, cookies,etc...

So far I have spent about $80 on groceries for this pay period (budget is $250). I would like to be under $150 for the two weeks..we have a ton of expenses this month including sports payments for the kids.
    I cooked the turkey last night and it was a success although I hate the cleaning up part lol. Today is swedish meatballs and rice with broccoli and tomorrow homemade perogies.
    Thursday and Friday I am undecided so far lol.
    gourmetsue and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Tonights Dinner is bbq porc chops with a side of Swanson's Skillet sensation with Tuscan veggies.

I pre-cook my porc chops in the oven this way they won't burn as my bbq is not working the best, only the back part works and it's flaming hot, thus why I have to precook them in the house but SINCE my oven will already be warm, I will bake something tonight with ds's help as we are down to 5 cookies from my sunday's baking session .

When I spoke to Hydro a couple months back when my in-laws were staying with us while there new house was being built and my hydro bill was out of control, I called hydro and they told me that your OVEN is your worst enemy, I told him I had a energy efficient stove and he said it doesn't matter it's a hog on hydro.

And that your best friends should be a crock-pot, toaster oven and BBQ, so I've been only using my oven ONLY when I have to and make the most of the fact that it makes me want to get my $'s worth, therefore, a good excuse to force myself to bake, cook more than 1 meal at a time, etc.

I'm already foreseeing a challenging grocery week coming up as there are so many great items on sale, I will be purchasing Nutrigrain bars which are on sale at NF's I believe for $1.88 - $1.00 printable = .88 CHEAPER, need to stock up on these AS well I overspent last week by $25.00 hmm.

And chicken breasts will be on sale for $2.00 lbs at No Frills starting Friday - BUT they are on sale this week at FB for $2.00 lbs as well.

I stocked up on ground beef but now I'm oogling the chicken breast prices I am hoping they are boness if not I will not have a problem doing without.

I must admit with the lack of coupons to use this month other than the odd 1, I must admit at times am struggling with the grocery budget for all necessities for the week. My meat supply has been depleated since we started this FRUGAL business in January and can now can safely say that we are replenishing with fresh meats and the cuts that we actually like and will eat without complaints (purchased only when on SALE. I thought I still had a whack of chicken breasts but I was WRONG! I do have 3 turkeys (lol), deer meat which I need to can in the pressure canner (next week) and market cut fish which we eat every other Friday as that is our meatless day (alternate between tomato macaroni casserole & fish).

MY RESOLUTION FOR THIS MONTH:
    I am not buying any cleaners, hygiene items or other such items this month unless they are free or almost free .

PS I find it so much easier to come to thread and know that we are ALL IN THE SAME BOAT, thanks everyone for MARCHING ON with your fellow SC'ers!

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

I hear you!!! I have been able to do okay on my budget. What I do is 1 week I do eat stock up (I only decide this when I see the flyers), another week I stock up on cleaners and toiletries, another week I stock up on snacks for the kids and dinner sides (like canned veg, sauces, taco kits). But every week I buy milk, fruit and veggies. Also yogurt and if I really need a dinner side (ex. Want to try a new recipe and I don't have one of the things needed.

That Is way when I make my grocery list I know what I am looking for. But even if I decide its not meat stock up week, if I find an amazing deal I will still get it. It just stretches the budget that bit more. For the next meat stock up week.
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Lisa View Post
    I hear you!!! I have been able to do okay on my budget. What I do is 1 week I do eat stock up (I only decide this when I see the flyers), another week I stock up on cleaners and toiletries, another week I stock up on snacks for the kids and dinner sides (like canned veg, sauces, taco kits). But every week I buy milk, fruit and veggies. Also yogurt and if I really need a dinner side (ex. Want to try a new recipe and I don't have one of the things needed.

That Is way when I make my grocery list I know what I am looking for. But even if I decide its not meat stock up week, if I find an amazing deal I will still get it. It just stretches the budget that bit more. For the next meat stock up week.
    I try to do the same Lisa, that way I only stock up on one type of product at once.

Budget is out the window this week...DH did the shopping. He finds it embarrasing to use coupons (nevermind I've saved hundreds already this year) and will only shop at Zehrs. I almost had a heart attack when I saw he bought BlackDiamond cheese for over $7! I haven't been feeling well lately and he's picking up the slack (which is awesome and I totally appreciate)...but really shopping at Food Basics or NF won't kill you.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I am looking forward to my 10% off grocery shopping trip at Sobeys later today. I have about $50 worth of coupons to use, many of them are FPCs. Sobeys takes off the 10% discount automatically before the coupons, so you get the "extra" amount towards your other purchases. I also have bonus points coupons that I will be using.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I I plan my meals weekly. Every friday sit down and plan the meals for Sunday-Saturday. Then on Saturday morning I go to the grocery store and do the shopping. This is the only way to make sure we don't end up with take out and crap throughout the week with all the activities. I plan what I am going to make based on what we have going on that night. It also eliminates the stress of what we are going to eat that night. This week goes like this...

Sunday: Turkey (purchased the week before since it had to defrost.
    Monday: Turkey stew
    Tuesday: Chicken pesto
    Wednesday: Tortellini soup (in slow cooker)
    Thursday: Stir fry
    Friday: Meatloaf (I actually made it last night and froze it. We'll see how well that goes!)
    Saturday: Lasagna

I also plan the weekend lunches (to avoid the trip to McDonald's cause everyone is hungry and I don't know what to make). Sunday was sausage rolls and Saturday will be leftover stew (I found a huge tub of it in the freezer from last time I made stew-oops!)

Planning our meals every week has been by far the best thing we have done to stay on budget. You plan, you shop, done. There is no need to go to the grocery store again (which inevitably leads to buying other things) unless they didn't have something or everyone once and awhile I run out of a staple and didn't know I was low (like small ziploc bags this week!).

I'm trying to save up for a meat order. I'm not happy with the meat at Extra Foods. But it's a lot of $$$ to put down up front.
    lecale and jasperandchar like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Jan 22nd, 2015 at 04:50 PM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

CHANGE OF PLANS - I HAVE 2 sicks boys HOME

so porc chops will be tomorrow's dinner & baking as well. Tonight will be a mix & match dinner with a pizza kit for the kids

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Tonights Dinner is bbq porc chops with a side of Swanson's Skillet sensation with Tuscan veggies.

I pre-cook my porc chops in the oven this way they won't burn as my bbq is not working the best, only the back part works and it's flaming hot, thus why I have to precook them in the house but SINCE my oven will already be warm, I will bake something tonight with ds's help as we are down to 5 cookies from my sunday's baking session .

When I spoke to Hydro a couple months back when my in-laws were staying with us while there new house was being built and my hydro bill was out of control, I called hydro and they told me that your OVEN is your worst enemy, I told him I had a energy efficient stove and he said it doesn't matter it's a hog on hydro.

And that your best friends should be a crock-pot, toaster oven and BBQ, so I've been only using my oven ONLY when I have to and make the most of the fact that it makes me want to get my $'s worth, therefore, a good excuse to force myself to bake, cook more than 1 meal at a time, etc.

I'm already foreseeing a challenging grocery week coming up as there are so many great items on sale, I will be purchasing Nutrigrain bars which are on sale at NF's I believe for $1.88 - $1.00 printable = .88 CHEAPER, need to stock up on these AS well I overspent last week by $25.00 hmm.

And chicken breasts will be on sale for $2.00 lbs at No Frills starting Friday - BUT they are on sale this week at FB for $2.00 lbs as well.

I stocked up on ground beef but now I'm oogling the chicken breast prices I am hoping they are boness if not I will not have a problem doing without.

I must admit with the lack of coupons to use this month other than the odd 1, I must admit at times am struggling with the grocery budget for all necessities for the week. My meat supply has been depleated since we started this FRUGAL business in January and can now can safely say that we are replenishing with fresh meats and the cuts that we actually like and will eat without complaints (purchased only when on SALE. I thought I still had a whack of chicken breasts but I was WRONG! I do have 3 turkeys (lol), deer meat which I need to can in the pressure canner (next week) and market cut fish which we eat every other Friday as that is our meatless day (alternate between tomato macaroni casserole & fish).

MY RESOLUTION FOR THIS MONTH:
    I am not buying any cleaners, hygiene items or other such items this month unless they are free or almost free .

PS I find it so much easier to come to thread and know that we are ALL IN THE SAME BOAT, thanks everyone for MARCHING ON with your fellow SC'ers!
    gourmetsue likes this.

Page 10 of 81 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread Information