Page 41 of 117 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast
Like Tree7794Likes

Thread: Frugal June Bugs - Frugal Chatter continued

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know

What do you do for reading material and what do you do with it when you are done? Do you buy? Borrow from a friend or a library? Magazines? Books? Ebooks? when you're done do you pass them on? return them? keep them for another time?

Rarely buy books other than garage sales for $0.25 lol.
    Sometimes borrow from my sister as we tend to have the same taste in books.
    Quite often download torrents for my ereader

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Thank you, got mine

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    GO! Target and P&G samples -

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/357014-...r-live-canada/

Took me about five min to get through; keep refreshing if it says in maintenance mode.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know

What do you do for reading material and what do you do with it when you are done? Do you buy? Borrow from a friend or a library? Magazines? Books? Ebooks? when you're done do you pass them on? return them? keep them for another time?

I borrow books from the library my library is 5 minutes from where i live also borrow from my DD.My magazines i drop off at the hospital when i around there
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    93 (100%)

I read on my Kobo, my dad finds me the books I want to read, and then some. I buy one or two a year, usually cook books because I like to see the pictures and I mark them up so library wouldn't do. I also buy books for my son, though not many, he inherited a lot from my sister's kids.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    All this talk of books makes me want to go to the second hand shop and pick up some Michael Connelly books.

Normally I get hand me downs from DH's aunt who reads a lot, then I either pass them onto friends or give them to my step dad who takes them to a fundraising book sale.

Hmm may have to see if DH wants to go to the book shop!

Gourmetsue i love Michael Connelly books i just finished reading the "9 Dragons"
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I just may cave and order a subscription to a magazine. Our library won't lend my favourite and it's reserved for use in-library only. The Toronto libraries lent them out so I miss my old address for that. Also, there wasn't much that the Toronto libraries didn't have in terms of movies, obscure books, and much more.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I buy books for my kids. I like them having an assortment on their book shelf. I look for as new at garage sales, sally ann and a local thrift store that sell them 5 for $1. I get youngest some from the library too but tend not to often with the fear of it getting lost etc.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I just may cave and order a subscription to a magazine. Our library won't lend my favourite and it's reserved for use in-library only. The Toronto libraries lent them out so I miss my old address for that. Also, there wasn't much that the Toronto libraries didn't have in terms of movies, obscure books, and much more.
    Do you have AIRMILES? Not sure what's available anymore but I redeemed for a subscription last year for a treat

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I had a free e-reader but sold it since I like to read a real book.
    I love real books. I really enjoy my e-reader as well - especially when traveling as i can take 4 or 5 or 100 books if i really wanted to and not take up a ton of packing space. I also enjoy the ability to resize the text.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    I buy books.When I`m done with them I pass them on to friends or take them to a used bookstore.
    I just bought a year`s supply of books from Book Closeouts. After adding shipping and taxes each book cost less than $4.
    I`ve been thinking of getting an e-reader but the books would be more expensive and I couldn`t pass them on.

Thats an awesome deal.

E-books are "pricey" compared to real books as you get a digital copy and not thing to feel/touch when you buy it. As i mentioned i get mine from the library, a friend and i will email books we enjoyed to each other. I also take advantage of a site called tuebl (the ultimate book library) for free which is apparently legal as they do follow DMCA take down requests.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    Gourmetsue i love Michael Connelly books i just finished reading the "9 Dragons"
    I'll have to check it out! I haven't read one of his in ages but I miss them. We're going camping with my uncle and while he and DH cycle I'm going to kick back and read!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I borrow from the library; magazines, books, DVDs, ... The walk is lovely and it's so nice to get out to return them as well. One benefit of the big city is that you have access to so many different programs, different books, and types of media.
    Since moving to a larger town than i was in i noticed the library here has a lot more going on than our little small town library did. They have movie nights even!

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    All this talk of books makes me want to go to the second hand shop and pick up some Michael Connelly books.

Normally I get hand me downs from DH's aunt who reads a lot, then I either pass them onto friends or give them to my step dad who takes them to a fundraising book sale.

Hmm may have to see if DH wants to go to the book shop!
    My aunt used to pass my mom and i about 50 books every few months she'd read what she wanted when other ladies from her area passed them on. When we were done we'd pass them on to another family member. I'm 14 hours away now so dont get near as many passed on!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseythegoalie View Post
    I have a $20 per year sub to Family Fun which provides me with Gymboree/crazy8 coupons that are more than worth $20 When done, I just recycle
    Thats really awesome.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    GO! Target and P&G samples -

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/357014-...r-live-canada/

Took me about five min to get through; keep refreshing if it says in maintenance mode.
    Thanks Nat! Got mine.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Wow, we are really a chatty bunch! LOL!! It is hard to keep up!

Today started out awful, aura stage of a migraine for most of the day. Hate the migraine.... But between DS's sleep apnea (often he actually wakes up) and therefore my lack of sleep, and the rain, two of my three triggers at the same time? I was doomed. I haven't been able to do a thing! I broke into DS's party supplies and made him organic cheese & macaroni w/ hot dogs (these are not usually in our house! LOL!) and broccoli. Chop, throw in pot, and boil- yep THAT I can do today. My eyes have just started to come back into focus.

I am feeling so behind as I have so much to do for DS's b-day party. I am making all of my decorations so I am using scrap book paper etc that have just been hanging around too long. I also borrowed my church's ancient overhead projector to blow up and create large dinosaurs to put on the fence. Thanks so DH's left overs from past clients, I won't need to buy paint. I inherited a large roll finger print paper- but now I just need the time/energy. I have started on the food though. Dino gingerbread cookies and sugar "fossil" cookies are in the freezer.

Cath007- when I was living in TO my landlord was adamant about the 12 months of cheques. When they were due- I just handed him the one for the next month, and he couldn't complain. I told him that he would see the next one at the end of the month. I made sure that he always had it by the 1st. He didn't say anything for the next three years that I lived there. Do you think you could do the same with your landlord?

Reading material??? Reading... what is that??? Sigh... I wish I had more time. Most books I read these days are to my DS and not for me. I sometimes get in 15 minutes in before I fall asleep with the book in hand, but most often than not, it is a book for work related stuff. I have subscriptions, thanks to airmiles & wagjags, to Today's parent, Canadian gardener and Marie Claire (which I love to use for inspiration on my next sewing project). I love the idea of a reader- but I really like holding a book and smelling the pages.

Our thrift stores have some awesome books, and I return them for resale. We go to library every week. But often I am in such a hurry with DS that I forget to look for myself. I have had great success with bookcloseouts as well. Those go to charity as well.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Grocery list done and ready to go for when I get off work tomorrow. As long as we stick to the list we should stay on budget, but I am really really starting to question our budget. As our diet changes I am finding it harder and harder to get everything we need on $50/week and am really having a struggle within on this. I know we can live off $50 a week if have too and ideally it is where I would like our budget to be, but if I make sure stick to $50/week we are going to be giving up new favourites and will have to cut back on produce which I do not want to do. I do have the money to up the budget to $75/week but I feel a little like I failed if I up the budget. I do have to say I think one huge factor is we just do not seem to be using the coupons we used to use. I am pretty stocked up on almost everything we have a coupon for so I am noticing more and more we just buying what is on sale and not what I have a coupon for. Really going to have to ponder what to do on this especially since I am getting my second freezer which I want to fill with my own frozen fruits and veggies and precooked meals.

Page 41 of 117 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast

Thread Information