User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lists of freezable/non freezable foods - will update w/your additions!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Lists of freezable/non freezable foods - will update w/your additions!
    Hi people, thought this would be a good addition and can maybe keep to the top of this subforum.

If people can post foods they know freeze well (or don't!) I will update the lists in the first post. It would be really helpful to include relevent experince with the products or tips and tricks we need to know to be successful with freezing food we find good deals on.

Thanks and happy freezer stocking!

Freezable:
    Bricks of cream cheese - "same consistency/taste after freezing once you cream it when thawed."

Pillsbury crescent rolls - "I had called the company about it, they said they may not come out the same when baked, but I've frozen them then thawed and baked them up as usual, and I find no difference."

Cheddar/mozza cheese - "fine after thawing, but not for slicing/grating because it kind of crumbles. Great for pizza, lasagne, etc. though."

So – finally updating this post – I have just put like posts together and my own comments at the top. If it doesn’t say OP it is a contribution from an SCer and came from one of their great posts. KEEP IT COMING!!!

SCer: Garbage freeze:
    I freeze my meat bones or any meat/skin/fat/grease thats being tossed, until garbage day so there's no chance of stinky trash and no animals can get into them and choke! (or make a mess)
    OP: I live in Downtown London and have to freeze my bio/organic garbage – the urban terrorist squirrels here work in teams with skunks and raccoons to tear whatever garbage they can to pieces to get meals.

OP: I tried freezing chopped onions but the flavour runs out with the ‘juice’ as they thaw. Carrots and parsnips not too bad, use them fairly soon, same with turnips. I think I need to read more about blanching and figure that out to help the veggies last with flavour.

OP: I have been making small meat loaves in mini banana bread type baking trays – there’s spaces for 8 loaves so I reduce the cooking time and then wrap them in singles. Also stuffed peppers, cabbage rolls, thai coconut chicken, stir frys with rice in, chili, stew, beef and chicken soft tacos (two fit in a small small ziplock, perfect for the BFs lunches etc., lasagna (cut into container sizes so I just take out for lunches. Recently made stuffed chicken breasts (ham, swiss, roasted peppers & feta) and thawed them for dinner – when I came home we just coated lightly with sauce and stuck in the hamilton beach grill for a few minutes to warm up – they were great!

OP: I’ve found when thawing slices of bread, English muffins etc. (if you don’t need the whole package) – if you can’t wait and need to microwave it put it on a piece of paper towel – this will absorb the moisture that can otherwise make it soggy.

OP: Like others I freeze browned ground beef, cooked chicken cubes etc. and I can use them for lots of things to get supper going, or I can throw them with some veggies into a tortilla and make a quick wrap or quesadilla.

OP: Best thing I’ve started doing in the last year – when I use the slow cooker for ribs, roasts etc. I freeze the liquid into ice cubes, ziplock them and then throw into gravies, use for shepherds pie or stews – amazing! I boil chicken carcass after beer can chicken, or if I had to buy a cooked chicken – I’ll throw in carrot peels, potatoes, parsnip peels and tails and tops, celery left over bits and freeze the liquid. I’ll use that for flavouing when boiling potatoes for mash, etc. instead of plain old water.

SCers:
    Cooked ground beef freezes well, so does pasta and lasagna. I also freeze cooked chicken and turkey sometimes, works well too

Hubby also dices and cooks up a lb of bacon at a time from Costco and freezes it for salads, etc.

I've frozen milk, and it's fine, but I've only done it in 250ml, 500ml and 1L cartons, am not sure about the bags.
    my m-i-l freezes milk in the bags all the time. they live about 30 mins from a store so they buy in bulk.
    I used to freeze 2l jugs of milk when we didn't have have agood grocery store near us. Skim milk tastes the same but 2% and whole milk have the fat seperate, they really need to be shaken as it's thawing and as you use it up.
    I buy the 1l cartons of choc milk when on sale for 0.99 cents. I just huck them in the freezer as is. Still have some from dec and they still taste like they were just bought.
    If you freeze chocolate milk, let it thaw halfway, then shake the hell out of it. Break it up with a butter knife if you have to, but the slushy consistency is sooo nice in the summer.

I have frozen the oasis juice that was on sale at no frills a few weeks back. well....taste amazing, let it thaw for about 15 mins and then its liek shaved iced but yummy. the kids have been asking for it all week

I freeze yogurt, all bake-it-yourself squares and cookies, pies, breads, pasta sauces, berries and stock.
    I like to buy the yogurt tubes and freeze them for the grandkids, they taste a lot better than regular popcicles.
    how do you thaw out yogurt?
    - Don't just eat as a yogurt pop its great I love doing this with the yogurt tubs my kids love them

I've frozen whipping cream in the cartoon and it's ben fine.
    It doesn't work for whipping anymore, probably a fat seperation issue, but for making biscuits or other baked goods that use whipping cream/full fat cream in the recipe it works no problem.

I freeze butter all the time. I will have a min of 8-10 bricks in the freezer at all times.

If you're wanting to freeze cheese and want it grated (like for pizza), grate it first, then freeze. Once it's defrosted, it's just like normal. Or you don't really have to defrost at all.. lol

Hot peppers -- like jalepeno and Scotch Bonnet.
    When these are reduced, I keep them longer by freezing.
    They can be sliced (semi thawed) and added to ground beef, stews, fish, soups-- to spice things up.

I also freeze seasonal berries and fresh ginger. It actually grates easier than when it's not frozen.
    I've frozen garlic in the past . I prefer it peeled first.
    Basil: I pick it fresh, wash, dry and pile the leaves on top of each other, then wrap tightly in clear wrap, then a sandwich bag, and freeze. When I need some, I cut them across chiffonade-style and it's like having fresh basil all the time!
    Dill: I pick them fit also, wash, dry, then smoosh it all together in clear wrap, then a sandwich bag and freeze. When I need it I just cut it up and it's as good as fresh!
    We're now growing fresh tarragon, and sage also and I'll do the same with those.

I've never had problems with potatoes turning black and I've frozen them as mash, roast pots, in stews and curries , as Dauphinose or my version of Bratkartopple(sp??).

You can freeze grapes! I know sounds bizare. Just wash them up and put them in a freezable tupperware container. They are a nice cold treat in the summer. You can just eat them frozen! Very tasty and kids love them!!!
    Oh and I love slicing bananas/kiwis into discs, inserting a stick and freezing them. Then we dip them in melted chocolate and freeze them again.
    Like fruit lollipops!

We freeze cheese, bread, sauces, fruits (strawberries,blueberries,etc.), veggies (diced peppers, onions, celery carrots, etc.) milk, chocolate, butter, cartons of juice, baked goods, yogurt tubes

I freeze bread, meats, seasonal fruits, yogurt, eggwhites...

Bread/buns can freeze well- just let them thaw over microwaving them or else they'll taste funny (like the freezer). Pasta sauce also freezes well.
    You can freeze cake, also. many cake decorators do this because the firmness allows for easy decorating.
    Leftover sheet cake. I always have leftovers from the twin's birthday cakes. I cut it into pieces and then put pieces of wax paper between the slices. Then I put it in the freezer. Once it is frozen, you can easily remove a slice or two
    Baked goods freeze well: cookies, muffins, cakes, breads, bagels. Since it's just the two of us, we never eat a whole package of bread, so I often freeze half. Burger buns I throw in the freezer right away and warm them on the BBQ when I'm cooking the patties.

I freeze leftover rice all the time, but use it in a casserole. stirfry, chop suey or something after. I wouldn't serve it 'alone' as a side dish after freezing.
    Frozen rice is awesome to have around! I like making microwave dinners at home. I'll make a huge pot of stew or curry and portion it with rice in containers and into the freezer they go along with the date it was made. Hooray for super fast meals! Just make sure to add a splash of water to it before cooking it, so it can "steam"!
    I also freeze al dente pasta with sauce to make frozen meals.

spaghetti sauce freezes (i freeze it in personal sized serving sizes) well so does chili, bread freezes well but isn't as fresh when defrosted best for toasting! (i preslice french bread and garlic bread then freeze it) you can freeze cooked meats.. i will cook ground beef and freeze it, it's great to have it precooked for adding into things or add as a topping
    . My mom makes pre-made meals for her business and most people who order from her ask that it be frozen before they pick it up, because they want to freeze it too. So we tested it and ; Lasagna, Shepherds pie and cabbage rolls can all be frozen. Aswell as chili and chicken soup
    Spaghetti sauce, chili, stew and soups as long as they don't contain potatoes, since they turn black.

Purchased:
    bags / cartons of milk or juice
    sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, any type of cheese, dips
    bread/buns/baked goods of any kind
    Nuts, seeds, dried fruits
    Left over sauces ie tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce/ tomato paste (in sealed containers)
    Luncheon meats of all kinds/salami sticks/hotdogs/bacon/pepperoni
    Jamaican beef patties/samosas

Homemade: Just about everything
    Baked cookies/loaves/muffins/cakes/pies/fudge/ anything really
    Soups/stews/cassroles/lasagne/broths and stocks/cooked rice/veggies/mashed potatos/cabbage rolls/perogies/pizza dough/whole baked pizzas
    This thread is currently associated with: Cake Beauty, Costco, No Frills
    Last edited by snow00774; Mon, Oct 3rd, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Bricks of cream cheese - same consistency/taste after freezing once you cream it when thawed.
    Pillsbury crescent rolls - I had called the company about it, they said they may not come out the same when baked, but I've frozen them then thawed and baked them up as usual, and I find no difference.
    Cheddar/mozza cheese - fine after thawing, but not for slicing/grating because it kind of crumbles. Great for pizza, lasagne, etc. though.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Bricks of cream cheese - same consistency/taste after freezing once you cream it when thawed.
    Pillsbury crescent rolls - I had called the company about it, they said they may not come out the same when baked, but I've frozen them then thawed and baked them up as usual, and I find no difference.
    Cheddar/mozza cheese - fine after thawing, but not for slicing/grating because it kind of crumbles. Great for pizza, lasagne, etc. though.

Thanks Natalka!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

What a great thread...I will be keeping an eye on this one. does anyone know if you can freeze bags of milk
    A little goes a long way!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I've never frozen milk, but I think there are some SCers who do it all the time.

Cooked ground beef freezes well, so does pasta and lasagna. I also freeze cooked chicken and turkey sometimes, works well too.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I've frozen milk, and it's fine, but I've only done it in 250ml, 500ml and 1L cartons, am not sure about the bags.

Past thread
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/96452-f...g-food-canada/

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ummali View Post
    What a great thread...I will be keeping an eye on this one. does anyone know if you can freeze bags of milk

My grandmother used to freeze it all the time -- you just have to shake it well after it thaws.

I'm A Couponista addict kellyschool1's Avatar
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

You can freeze grapes! I know sounds bizare. Just wash them up and put them in a freezable tupperware container. They are a nice cold treat in the summer. You can just eat them frozen! Very tasty and kids love them!!!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

If you're wanting to freeze cheese and want it grated (like for pizza), grate it first, then freeze. Once it's defrosted, it's just like normal. Or you don't really have to defrost at all.. lol

Just make sure the bag you use is super air tight and don't refreeze after thawing!

I freeze bread, meats, seasonal fruits, yogurt, eggwhites...
    Oh and I love slicing bananas/kiwis into discs, inserting a stick and freezing them. Then we dip them in melted chocolate and freeze them again.
    Like fruit lollipops!
    Last edited by janetta; Thu, Jun 23rd, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

mle
    Female
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Bread/buns can freeze well- just let them thaw over microwaving them or else they'll taste funny (like the freezer). Pasta sauce also freezes well.

I found this chart with those that don't freeze well, but some people can prove me wrong on some of these:
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/...eze_foods.html

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

my m-i-l freezes milk in the bags all the time. they live about 30 mins from a store so they buy in bulk.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mle View Post
    I found this chart with those that don't freeze well, but some people can prove me wrong on some of these:
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/...eze_foods.html
    I freeze leftover rice all the time, but use it in a casserole. stirfry, chop suey or something after. I wouldn't serve it 'alone' as a side dish after freezing.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Frozen rice is awesome to have around! I like making microwave dinners at home. I'll make a huge pot of stew or curry and portion it with rice in containers and into the freezer they go along with the date it was made. Hooray for super fast meals! Just make sure to add a splash of water to it before cooking it, so it can "steam"!

I also freeze al dente pasta with sauce to make frozen meals.
    Last edited by janetta; Thu, Jun 23rd, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ummali View Post
    ...does anyone know if you can freeze bags of milk
    We do it all the time. Just handle the bags gently when they're frozen as you don't want to pierce them.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I buy the 1l cartons of choc milk when on sale for 0.99 cents. I just huck them in the freezer as is. Still have some from dec and they still taste like they were just bought.
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information