User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Dogs in Stores???

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I understand everyones point of view but for me personally I don't worry about getting bit by someones dog but that's because I don't just reach out to pet them without asking and I generally just admire them from afar. I also catch people before they try and touch my dog(no matter where we are, ie park, store, etc) and tell them he'll bite*** if you do that and you need to let him sniff you first and if he wants to let you pet him he will kinda nuzzle you otherwise don't and it's never been a problem.

As for the "surprises" left behind that's just gross but I can also tell you of MANY things left behind by parents from their kids. Everything from 1/2 eaten Mcd's, snot filled kleenex to dirty diapers and vomit! (sorry to gross you all out ) but these are few and far between(thank goodness) just as I am sure it is with pet parents.

I have brought Harley into the bank with me when I have lets say just picked him up from the groomers or on my way there or to the vet. I just don't feel like driving 20-30 min out of the way to drop him off and then back home. I ALWAYS carry him and never let people just reach out and pet him cause it can startle him. Mind you the only time you have to worry about him lunging at you is if you have a hot dog in your hand lol

***just needed to add he wouldn't bite unless you had a hot dog or something Kidding. Really he wouldn't

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never really seen it other than Petsmart and service dogs. It wouldn't bother me personally because dogs always make me smile. But I always thought there were rules about bringing them into stores.
    pippinelkhound, ryry and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

If we allow pet dogs, we will be forced to allow pet rabbits and pet rats. We do not want another incident like the Ikea monkey.
    Can you imagine a pet rat in Home Outfitters?
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Jul 1st, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
    ryry, hydroxybutane and xox2010 like this.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

stores seem to tolerate these cute lil puppies...let me bring my great pyrenees in the same ages as my neighbors teacup yorkie and see who get asked to take their dog out of the store first...leaveyourdogshome people...cause if you do take them shopping and leave them in the car...i will bust your window
    ....just be happy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When we were shopping in toronto we were in a winners store and a lady was shopping with her dog. We were amazed, but she said in toronto it is common to take dogs into stores. I have a large dog who is super cute and very well behaved, I wouldn't have a problem taking him into stores if it was allowed where we live. I know most who responded to this post are against it but I have to say my dog would be much better behaved than a lot of small children (and adults) I have had to endure while shopping. Crying, screaming, temper tantrums, snotty noses, sticky fingers, dirty diapers etc. When I worked at winners, I saw people pee in the change rooms, leave used tampons and pads in the change rooms. I also saw many parents unwrap toys and give them to their kids to play with then abandon them anywhere in the store when they were done shopping, items no longer in saleable condition. I watched adults throw clothing on the floor and walk all over them. It was hard to watch. Just something to consider.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
    stores seem to tolerate these cute lil puppies...let me bring my great pyrenees in the same ages as my neighbors teacup yorkie and see who get asked to take their dog out of the store first
    I had to look for a picture of your dog. I agree with you - would not want your dog jumping on me, in a friendly gesture

http://www.goldstrikeboergoats.com/i...8goats-008.JPG
    ryry and saddlebag like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My son is very allergic to dogs, so much so that we even avoid parks and other places were dogs are welcome. While I understand that dogs and other pets are considered part of your family, they can send my child to the hospital! Thanks OP for addressing this issue. Im shocked at the response you received! I've addressed it before a couple times in a store and the manager asked the dog owner to leave.
    ryry, gracesmommy, GoJays and 5 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

There is a Future Shop , I used to go to . They had a Canadian Tire and Pets Mart right next door.

People always used to come into FS with their various pets ( cats, lizards etc ) and dogs to browse along , I guess as they used to bring the dog to the PM next door and then pop into FS later on.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    There is a Future Shop , I used to go to . They had a Canadian Tire and Pets Mart right next door.

People always used to come into FS with their various pets ( cats, lizards etc ) and dogs to browse along , I guess as they used to bring the dog to the PM next door and then pop into FS later on.

Just reminded me, at my local NF somebody had a pet iguana in their arms while checking out with groceries.

Most likely not necessary.
    Last edited by Candini; Mon, Jul 1st, 2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: :\ spelling.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

it's a lie, they are not allowed in germany.(service dogs only)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    It's funny how people are about dogs here because in Europe they are allowed in stores and restaurants...and I'm not talking lap dogs either: in Germany I saw a woman with a Rottweiler in a department store.

I don't think dog germs are going to kill you but you have a right to complain because things are different here.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 07:51 AM.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

OP, great post - I would be freaked out if dogs were allowed into stores, it's not something I've encountered.

(And a dog doesn't need to be provoked to bite - my son was bitten in the thigh by one when we were just walking by it. It was a big dog - just turned his head and took a munch.)

I don't think any animals should be - of course, aside from service animals.

Last year at Value Village, a woman ahead of me at the till put down what I thought was a totebag as she was going into her purse for her wallet, and I see something moving - and it was a cat, a beautiful Ragdoll cat. I have an affinity for them, since we have a Ragdoll cross, so I chatted with her about it - but gosh, if someone hadn't known and they were shopping and had severe allergies, that could be awful.

If a store is going to have animals allowed policies, it should be stated at the front door.

(My dream would be to have here as they do in some Asian and European countries, coffee shops with dozens of kitties inside of them - gosh, I would never want to go home!)
    ryry, GoJays, lecale and 4 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

my children do not like dogs...unless they know the dog's owners personally and can rely on them to remove the dog if needs be.

They hate being in a situation where some-one is almost forcing them to interact with Mr Fluffy cos "Mr Fluffy is the world's friendliest, child-loving goggies in the universe!".

They still don't like strange dogs...they are better than when they were younger and had less options to remove themselves from the situation..

A good dog owner on hearing " I'm not keen on dogs and would rather not interact with your dog" removes dog or allows a person to withdraw rather than bullying an interaction...

A bad dog owner wants to control both parties regardless of either's desires..I've seen dogs cower because they don't to interact with some-one they feel is "off"
    ryry, gracesmommy, GoJays and 3 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a yellow lab and there is no way that I would bring him into a store with me.
    If I am out and he is with me, I bring him home before I go anywhere else.

We all have to live together and need to respect others. I think that if I saw a dog in a grocery store I would get irritated and make a fuss. Animals carry fleas and other things. I do not want that near food I am shopping for.
    ryry, Natalka, gracesmommy and 3 others like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree as well about dogs being in stores. I am an animal lover, but I feel only service animals should be in stores (pet stores are the exception). I am also allergic to dogs (not bad, but still there is an allergy there). When my son was younger if he even seen a dog he would cry and scream he was that afraid. Many shopping trips were ended early due to this. One person even kept bringing his dog up to my son and trying to convince him that the dog was friendly until I let them know to keep the dog away and he was terrifying my son. My son now tolerates most dogs. I also can't see how a store can say little dogs are OK, but not big dogs.
    ryry, gracesmommy, GoJays and 1 others like this.
    Superpoints is back again! Sign up and earn points and cash in for great rewards!
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/7Np...0a_1VnDfDcJDq8 Thank you for using my referral link!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information