User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Dogs in Stores???

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I had to look for a picture of your dog. I agree with you - would not want your dog jumping on me, in a friendly gesture

http://www.goldstrikeboergoats.com/i...8goats-008.JPG
    yup that's what it's like
    ryry, xox2010 and Shwa Girl like this.
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

When DH and I went to SDM on Saturday 3 women with a baby stroller were walking with a very-very large Poodle meaning XL size normal dog into the store and my husband says can you bring your dog in there? They said we're gonna find out. Why would someone even think consider doing that. I have seen several toy dogs in stores in owners arms. I hate it when they leave them outside alone though? I hate that, they look so lost and abandoned. I always stop and keep them company.
    ryry, xox2010 and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'll have to agree with the OP. I'm a dog lover and I know if I brought my dog into a store he would sniff and pee on everything in sight and I do mean everything. I would not want to purchase something that has been peed on by a dog that lies on a low shelf or hangs on a rack.
    Some people have a real hard time cleaning up after their dogs on walks outdoors, can you picture the messes that would be left behind in stores. oops.. I think I just stepped in something.
    It's best to keep your dogs at home where they belong.
    ryry, Natalka, GoJays and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I love animals BUT!!! I would a) never bring my cats into a store b) it's not o.k. just because it's a small dog c) JUST YUK!!!!

This is one of my top 2 pet peeves (no pun intended). That and smokers who still ignore the law.
    ryry, GoJays, xox2010 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I can understand pet stores and pet bakeries that WANT dog owners to bring the dogs in (but I have no idea WHO is expected to deal with the bathroom issues) but not pets in most stores.

I remember a bank visit with a supposed service dog (black lab) whose leash was held by woman's foot as she yakked with someone not behind the wicket. I was the next wicket over and discerned new dog was not trained yet and there are rules about service animals-have to have a level of training approved by an organization. There is an Ontario health rule that service dogs cannot go into areas not open to the public i.e. kitchens.

Saw someone's white standard poodle let into the municipal service centre (one of the Hamilton, ON ones) this spring and it bounded into someone's office. That person closed the door behind it. I remarked to municipal staffer "dogs are allowed in here?" and got no reply. Within two weeks, City put a sign by back entrance no animals allowed>service dogs permitted.
    Last year, someone's large white dog (about size of German Shepherd) unleashed was inside the back lobby leading to library/municipal service centre. Someone probably made the dog go out. But I never saw who was responsible for the creature! It was walking around and the bike racks are near there too....

I had seen in the past a couple of seniors carrying a small dog in their arms into a local Shoppers but I'm certain that staff must have remedied that quickly. No one wants to clean up someone else's pet poop/bathroom mess.
    In general, co-workers have a hard time cleaning up their break areas after they use them at their workplace-usually a few people are upset enough to make sure break areas are tidy because public health units can shut down those rooms if they have issues.
    ryry, xox2010, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a beautiful black Lab who loves people, but I would not dream of taking it into a store with me. Why do people feel that if the dog is small, it's okay for it to go everywhere? I also do not like the idea of taking a dog on a plane to sit with it's owner. I spent 4.5 hours on a flight sitting next to a yappy little dog that shed hair like crazy. I love dogs, but I did not love this one and I felt it was totally unfair that I had to put up with this for the whole trip. I left my dog at home while I was away on vacation and I really wish this person had done the same thing. If you can't bear to leave your beloved dog for a week, stay at home with it, or don't get one in the first place.

My dog is a part of my family and when she dies, I will most certainly mourn her. But she is NOT a person and does not have the same rights and privileges as a person. That's why they are called "pets" and not "furry people". People need to stop thinking only of themselves and have some consideration for those around them.
    ryry, GoJays, coupon girl and 5 others like this.

Coupon Queen!!
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I have to disagree here.
    If a store sells animal products like home outfitters does (dog clothes, beds, pet products, strollers) then yes I think you should be allowed to bring your dog. At my local homeoutfitters theres actually a store dog stroller for you to use.

I would much rather someone bring their dog into a store, than leave it in a hot car.
    Sometimes people have to stop places, while traveling with their dogs.

I dont agree with them going to grocery stores, but malls, and big department stores I dont see a problem with that. As long as the dog is well behaved and trained not to go inside, then that should be fine.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

anything with food, its against the law i think
    anything else its up to the store if they have a policy or not

if your afraid of dogs in public because dogs "might" bite....well people might bite also....bath salt zombies!?!!?
    VeeVee and MillieH like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The human dog relationship seems to have gone berzerk somewhere along the line (and I love love love dogs). From poop and off leash issues to being pushed in baby strollers (saw a stroller at Home Sense once that was specifically for small dogs to be pushed around in... had a sign on it and everything!!!). Really? A lot of people must bring their dogs shopping! If I had actually watched someone push their dog around Home Sense I would have burst our laughing. From thinking our pets should come with us wherever we go and that everyone must love our dog because he is so darn cute (even when jumping up on you or running through your garden)... we seem to think our pets are precious fur babies that can do no harm and are a gift to the world. Sure they are our loyal companions (and loved dearly), but we seem to have forgotten that we are their masters and they are still dogs (not humans). It blows my mind that some dog owners (seem more and more as of late) say things like oh he doen't need to be on a leash he is a friendly dog... or I couldn't possibly leave my dog at home it may miss me to much.... or I don't have to pick up my dog poop because I am an entitled dog owner. Phew... I have having issues with this topic lately so sorry to vent! Feel tad bit better now though. Thank-you.
    Last edited by couponingtosurvive; Tue, Jul 2nd, 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

since I live in barrie, I should bring my cat in on a leash and see how well south barrie likes that LOL can't discriminate just because it was a cute puppy. That walmart is a dump, and will always be a dump even after the change (same management so why should anything change). I literally will drive to Orillia to go to walmart if I have to because its a nicer store.
    gracesmommy and xox2010 like this.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

How about the best one yet. I was on the packed TTC bus the other night and this girl had her huge dog sitting in the seat beside her...There were seniors and people with bags of groceries standing yet her and her dog got to take up two seats for one fare.

Most places in Toronto allow dogs in the store. Winners allows it and has a sign in front of the food section that says animals are not allowed past that point.
    xox2010 and oscarandme like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    Just leave it at home it's not like you're out walking your rabbit downtown.
    Actually, I saw someone in downtown Toronto who was walking her rabbit on a leash. I had to do a double take because at first my thought was that it was a really fat small dog.
    lecale, xox2010 and colourcube like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I understand the relationship people have with their dogs, but like many have said, not everyone is comfortable with dogs. I am absolutely terrified of German Shepherds because I was bit by one when I was 8, completely unprovoked. I once had a panic attack on a subway train because of one. It wasn't that particular dog's fault, he was well behaved and just happened to walk by where I was sitting but being attacked has really traumatized me for the breed. I wouldn't want to be shopping in a clothing store and then encounter a German Shepherd. I avoid places like parks and pay attention when I'm walking and walk away from them.

The problem too is that some people think their animal is trained but it is really not. And some dogs can be huge. My friend's dog is like 80lbs and is as gentle as can be, but sometimes he forgets his size and he's very clumsy. From a store's point of view, they wouldn't want him in it because a place like Home Outfitters will have tons of broken dishes. He can also intimidate people simply because of his size. And people are sometimes very selfish; your rights as a pet owner do not necessarily trump mine as a non-pet owner.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by dietfrog View Post
    I have to disagree here.
    If a store sells animal products like home outfitters does (dog clothes, beds, pet products, strollers) then yes I think you should be allowed to bring your dog. At my local homeoutfitters theres actually a store dog stroller for you to use.
    By that logic though, most grocery stores or stores that sell groceries would have to allow a dog inside because they often sell pet products other than pet foods.
    GoJays, lilo0003 and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I have been in a few stores that had dogs (little ones) and my eyes started watering & I was sneezing. I am allergic to dogs and I had to leave. I wouldn't bring my little Himalayan kitty to the store with me, he is leashed trained and wouldn't hurt a fly - he doesn't even attack his brother and sisters. But I know people are allergic to cats and would have the same reaction as me when I in the same room with a dog.
    I go to school so I talked to my teacher - former public health nurse & worked for the city. A store that sells food - packaged or cooked - its a health violation and report it to the city. Any animal except service dogs are not allowed in stores that serve any type of food (cooked/packaged). She mentioned Starbucks use to allow dogs in the store until they go charged with health violations. They can carry feces, urine and other animals diseases - and if you have a dog or cat - depending on what animal was there - diseases are transmittable. And for people with allergies - the person in the store may not have the allergies but dander can attach to the person. I know when my hubby has touched a dog without washing his hands or on his clothes cause he comes home and I sneeze.
    I see my cats as my fur babies but they stay home where they are safe and do not disturb people.
    GoJays and xox2010 like this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information