User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree432Likes

Thread: Breast Feeding in a Restaurant

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

This morning hubby and i went out to breakfast. While there a woman came in with a newborn (probably about 1 month old). She was seated in the middle of the restaurant. The baby started crying so she took him out of the carrier and whipped out her breast (OMG) and started breastfeeding the baby.

Now i have nothing against breastfeeding in public, dont get me wrong. But a little modesty goes a long way! I mean this woman was seated in the middle of the resto. People tried not to stare at her but it was hard to miss. At least she could have put a blankie over the baby. Its like, what was she thinking!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Jina, Natalka, Patty Smyth and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I agree that breastfeeding is wonderful, but modesty is important. It's not a biggie to put a light blanket over.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

hungry baby....hungry baby needs to be fed...feed baby. Those were my thoughts at the time.

Now I would probably have asked for a more secluded spot than the middle but if those spots were taken and no-one wanted to change, then blanket and baby in restaurant all the way.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I don`t mind if people breastfeed in public but a little discretion goes a long way.
    Jina, Natalka, Patty Smyth and 4 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Personally I did not breast feed in public, my kids were breast/bottle so in public I brought their bottles(for convenience). That being said I am all for public breastfeeding but just use a blanket to cover up and for crying out loud people don't stare, it makes the moms uncomfortable. It is still not socially acceptable though. I think it's a typical North American azz backwards mentality about woman. They can't seem to separate the sexy image from the mom image.

I know a lot of people will probably be offended and say let her whip it out where ever, but it works both ways. A little common courtesy from both sides is needed.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I think this world has come along way.. I was asked to feed my son in a bathroom 20 years ago..!
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    I think this world has come along way.. I was asked to feed my son in a bathroom 20 years ago..!

That is a no-no. I can't imagine gong to the bathroom, how gross.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Personally I did not breast feed in public, my kids were breast/bottle so in public I brought their bottles(for convenience). That being said I am all for public breastfeeding but just use a blanket to cover up and for crying out loud people don't stare, it makes the moms uncomfortable. It is still not socially acceptable though. I think it's a typical North American azz backwards mentality about woman. They can't seem to separate the sexy image from the mom image.

I know a lot of people will probably be offended and say let her whip it out where ever, but it works both ways. A little common courtesy from both sides is needed.
    Same here. I boob-fed at home but brought some pumped milk in a bottle to public places I knew didn't have a discreet area to feed. The mall for example has little salons to feed privately and comfortably. If all else failed then yes do it but with a blanket.
    It's a natural mom thing and even today it makes people uncomfortable, yet we have a*ses on billboards. ( anyway the whole sexy/nudity in public being acceptable but not mom business thing is another debate.. ) . But I'm thinking about the children at the resto. I want to be able to explain to my kid in due time what breastfeeding is, not when some random lady decides to whip a boob out at the resto and then i'm stuck explaining to MY child what breastfeeding is for the rest of my meal.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    My niece (12 years old) to this day sometimes is asked to go inject her insulin in the bathroom at restos and other public places. Really !? An injection in the bathroom.. How so very sanitary isn't it ...

*sigh*

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Boobs provoke all sorts of reactions and emotions. When I get to heaven (they WILL let me in), I'm going to ask God about this, why he created those that way, and I am sure he'll give me a funny smile and laugh.

Yahoo!!

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

i nursed both my kids (am still nursing the youngest) and i am going to keep most of my comments to myself.

I will say a mother is legally aloud to breastfeed anywhere the child is aloud to be.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by francine1985 View Post
    i nursed both my kids (am still nursing the youngest) and i am going to keep most of my comments to myself.

I will say a mother is legally aloud to breastfeed anywhere the child is aloud to be.
    I have nursed too but a blanket is not a luxury. Yes adults should be able to contain themselves (but they don't sadly ) but I find it's more for respect for little kids who don't yet know what it is and such.
    Crochetlady, vesper and oscarandme like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I am currently breastfeeding our baby boy. I always use a cotton blanket when we are out anywhere or if people are visiting at our house.

Quote Originally Posted by tasha313 View Post
    My niece (12 years old) to this day sometimes is asked to go inject her insulin in the bathroom at restos and other public places. Really !? An injection in the bathroom.. How so very sanitary isn't it ...

*sigh*
    I agree that a person should not HAVE to do an injection in the bathroom. I wish that people were more comfortable with it, but the fact remains that needles still make most people very uncomfortable.
    I have had to do an injection of blood thinners every day for the last 6yrs. When we are out in public 95% of the time I do my injection in a bathroom stall. The other 5% of the time I will do my injection in my vehicle. I keep the used needle and dispose of it properly at home. I am a teacher and routinely do my injection in the bathroom at work too. My injection is time sensitive and it has to be injected into belly fat. It is painful and often leaves a colourful bruise. As much as I don't like doing my injection in a small bathroom stall with questionable cleanliness, I also don't need to have people staring and making comments at me.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

We did not have children unfortunately but I can only comment on what I perceive. There seems to be a schedule to the feeding times and locations in public places too should be considered I think prior to going out. That time seems so special between a child and her/his mother and seeing a bazillion strange people and all that noise and under a possible hot blanket drinking milk and you cannot even see your mommy. Think about their environment too before going out. There should be some discresion used and I remember my sister preparing bottles when going out. I see sometimes mothers without even a diaper bag or purse walking with their little ones. I remember my sister packing the car with everything under the sun and the stroller just in case. It makes people/me uncomfortable and I'm sorry the injection too, although I have never seen it I would not like to see it either. It must be painful and a very personal medical treatment and while I the reaction looks and stares and while I am having dinner have to see someone prick themselves and if I had to explain that to my little one. There are times and places for certain things and planning ahead or using discression is a small effort to make I think.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Wed, Aug 14th, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
    Natalka and Crochetlady like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

not every-one can express milk using a breast pump though. I couldn't and I refused to use formula until I really, really had to.

And sometimes..especially with a very small baby, you can't predict just when it's hungry..Even with DS who was my 3rd..he'd surprise me by being hungry as short as an hour after he's drunk both boobs dry..

It's easy saying that babies should be feed on a schedule but babies have a far different priority..

eta...

and sometimes when you have older children ..you are at the mercy of thier schedule if they are at school/day-care/camp etc.. it's not just a quick trip to the shops if the school contacts you cos your older child need to be taken home/to the doctor/hospital.
    Last edited by Darth Penguin; Wed, Aug 14th, 2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: add eta

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information