User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: We wanna save money but what about making it ?

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

I was wondering.

We're all for saving money here (yes we are ). However I was wondering if any of you have a sideline at home to make extra money and what it is . I'm going to be on leave from work as soon as I hit 24 weeks and I would love to find something to do from home, or at other's homes (ex: babysitting, homework help ect), that would actually work. Not place an ad or somthing and never get a response.

So does any of you do this or know of someone who does something of that nature ?

Happy SCing !
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've made soap to sell at a craft fair years ago. A friend of mine has been making things and selling them at craft fairs later in the fall. Someone I know is a virtual assistant.

Do you have any particular interests? Are you able to leave the house, for deliveries, for example?
    Angela273 and tasha313 like this.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    I've made soap to sell at a craft fair years ago. A friend of mine has been making things and selling them at craft fairs later in the fall. Someone I know is a virtual assistant.

Do you have any particular interests? Are you able to leave the house, for deliveries, for example?
    pretty much anything . And yes I Can leave the house . Ill be off work soon enough so ill have all my time

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I crochet things to sell at gift shops...baby afghans, crochet top towels and dishcloths.
    Kitty77, Angela273 and Candini like this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

My friend has a home based business making bows, all sorts of bows. From the tiniest ones to the mega bows. Also packaging bows and labels. Ive been working for her for about 20 years. Its part-time work and i can make my own hours. Also i knit and sell Sashay Ruffle Scarves. Also i sell stuff on ebay, which is the world`s greatest garage sale. Another friend of mine packages those shoe and boot liners for a local company (also part-time work) and still another friend is into making jewellery. Still another friend does delivery for several florists in my area. These are all part-time jobs and they make their own hours. Two of my other friends offer services to the elderly, like taking them grocery shopping and accompanying them to the medical appointments. You need to look around and talk to people to see what`s out there. This is a great place to start by the way. Good luck, i hope you find something.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

SnowFlakey....how do you determine shipping costs when selling in ebay? That's the thing that frightens me the most...I feel as if I'll get dinged for more shipping than I calculated...

Tasha, when I was younger, I sold a line of absolutely gorgeous jewellry from 5th Avenue Jewelry...it's a Canadian company. That was a long time ago, so I don't know what their start-up costs are now.

https://www.fifthavenuecollection.com/home.aspx

If anyone just wants to shop for jewellry.....this is the place! The gold isn't that cheap colour, stones stay in forever...I still have pieces I love to wear and still get compliments on them!

Avoncalling has sold Avon, so you could ask her about her business; I believe start-up costs are low.

Dropshipping can be big business, but it's complicated.....perhsps if one is young...

Good luck with your search, Hon!
    Crochetlady and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I used to tutor for extra income. Spend a couple hours in the evenings and would make between $50 - $100 for two hours, and I was cheaper than the going rates. Tutoring rates are absurd if you have decent credentials.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    SnowFlakey....how do you determine shipping costs when selling in ebay? That's the thing that frightens me the most...I feel as if I'll get dinged for more shipping than I calculated...

Tasha, when I was younger, I sold a line of absolutely gorgeous jewellry from 5th Avenue Jewelry...it's a Canadian company. That was a long time ago, so I don't know what their start-up costs are now.

https://www.fifthavenuecollection.com/home.aspx

If anyone just wants to shop for jewellry.....this is the place! The gold isn't that cheap colour, stones stay in forever...I still have pieces I love to wear and still get compliments on them!

Avoncalling has sold Avon, so you could ask her about her business; I believe start-up costs are low.

Dropshipping can be big business, but it's complicated.....perhsps if one is young...

Good luck with your search, Hon!
    Determining postage when selling on eBay can be tricky. But when i sell an item that needs larger than an envelope packaging i go to the post office and ask what the postage would be to say BC because im at the other end of Canada. Same goes for shipping to the US; i always ask what the cost is to California. same goes for postage Overseas. I package the item and bring it to the post office for the clerk to weigh it and then give me shipping estimâtes. Also you can offer tracking on their parcels but that is an extra cost which you pass on to the buyer. Dont forget, the buyer always the postage, insurance and tracking.
    Crochetlady and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Oh i just remembered, one of my friends who is single and living on an extremely fixed income cleans and washes for senior citizens. She charges 10 an hour (which isnt much but then those people are on fixed incomes also). Also she relieves caretakers for several hours so that they can get some time to themselves. Also charges $10 an hour which is reimbursed to the caretaker by a special program here in Québec. The down side of relieving caretakers is that my friend gets a receipt and has to declare this as income.
    Crochetlady and Shwa Girl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    I used to tutor for extra income. Spend a couple hours in the evenings and would make between $50 - $100 for two hours, and I was cheaper than the going rates. Tutoring rates are absurd if you have decent credentials.
    As a certified teacher (without a full-time teaching job), I also tutor.
    This extra income has now become my sole income.
    As @alicia mentioned, at home private tutoring is REALLY expensive. If you stay a little below that rate, you can get a LOT of clients. My tutoring started last September (VERY loosely) and it's strictly word of mouth. I now have 15 clients.
    You never know what is needed out there, you just have to be prepared to work for it.
    Natalka, Crochetlady and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

Thank you for all the ideas .

For the tutoring I'm a college nursing student and I'm fully bilingual so not that much credentials there. I figured in Quebec alot of French speaking parents that can't help their kids with English homework ..
    How much is the going rate? And how much should I charge ?

For eBay , I never managed to sell anything on there ... Any tips ?

Also where is the best places to advertise for all these services and get some start up clients ,?
    Crochetlady likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tasha313 View Post

For the tutoring I'm a college nursing student and I'm fully bilingual so not that much credentials there. I figured in Quebec alot of French speaking parents that can't help their kids with English homework ..
    How much is the going rate? And how much should I charge ?
    It depends on where you are. I tutored high school chemistry and undergraduate chemistry courses (I have a Chemistry PhD) and the going rate is anywhere between $30 - $75/hr depending on you, your area, and the material. Personally I felt really badly charging more than $30/hour, but maybe I'm a softy. And it wasn't my only source of income, I was just supplementing it.

Do you have any teaching experience? I think the bilingual part would be excellent, but I'm not in Quebec so I don't know how in demand that might be. Good Luck!
    Crochetlady likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tasha313 View Post

I've found it hard to get a tutor to help 15yo Penguinette 1 with her French since we can't and I don't know any-one in the local home-schooling circles who has a child of similar age who can help.
    Crochetlady likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been selling Avon for years and I love it. Its not only the money you can make selling, its the discount you get on the products. I get so many gifts from Avon for Christmas, Birthdays etc. There are many positives, that's for sure. You can do almost all your business online as well.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by spidey46x2 View Post
    I've been selling Avon for years and I love it. Its not only the money you can make selling, its the discount you get on the products. I get so many gifts from Avon for Christmas, Birthdays etc. There are many positives, that's for sure. You can do almost all your business online as well.
    Yes my D-I-L sells Avon as a side-line for some extra bucks. She`s also been doing this for years and likes it. Although she finds it hard for the drop-off because no one is at home during the day.
    Crochetlady likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information