User Tag List

Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
Like Tree5611Likes

Thread: Thankful for Savings - October 2014 Frugal chatter thread

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I have a new appreciation for butchers who know how to get cuts from meat. Tried to remove remaining duck meat from today's roast and well, I pulled more off with a fork than I could cut with a knife (I should have used a heavier knife) and fork. Bagged the carcass for now to see if it can be used for flavouring some other dish. The reserved duck fat from the roasting pan-have to see what Jamie Oliver does with it as he raved about its flavour.
    Ooh duck, yummmm. We used to have it as a treat when I was young. The duck fat was put in a jar and kept in the fridge. We used it like butter - nothing like duck fat on fresh bread with thinly sliced onions on top. Drooools.

As for getting the most out of a cut of meat, on Friday, my Mom & I popped into the store for last minute things before the chaos of shoppers rushing around for Thanksgiving turkeys started. She bought a large piece of pork at the local Asian supermarket (there was a really good sale on) and the butcher was kind enough to cut it into pork chops. So for about $6, she got about 18 chops. Once home, since we prefer pork schnitzel, she then cut the nicer parts into the soon-to-be schnitzel, the not so nice parts and some fatty bits were ground up to be made into burgers and the bones (with a bit of meat on them) were set aside to be made into a another dish. So for $6, we have 15 schnitzels, 10 hamburger patties and the bones will flavour at least 4 meals.

I, of course, am not that talented (ok, so the truth is I'm lazy ), but I do have the knowledge to stretch out food to make several meals.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 3 others like this.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

If anyone has a few prayers to spare, I could use them. A good friend of mine had major surgery last Feb to fix a previous surgery (long story). Looks like something went wonky (she's been trying to get the surgeon to agree that there is indeed something wrong and it's not just a let's wait & see thing) and now she needs really really major surgery to correct the problem.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Angela great job on the baking and dividing them up for charities, lunches etc
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Andit your mom got an awesome deal on the pork wow and stretching the meat out is very frugal and smart
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 3 others like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

good gracious Andit. your friend indeed has our prayers.

its a warm but wet day. trying to get the energy to clean up around here. i swear these guys live a seperate life while im sleeping.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Absolutely Andit, one can never give or get enough prayers!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Mrs. S. of course the guys do it's called bachelorhood (lol), it's never too late to train them or harp on them until they get the point.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning. Back to work and reality. Was nice having an extra long long weekend. And I am off Friday too so only a 2 day work week for me Continued laundry this morning, hung load to dry. Washed all dishes in sink and they are drying on counter and will be ready to put away when I get home. Took 2 packages of ground beef out this morning to make taco meat this evening. Tacos will be dinner tomorrow night. Thinking chicken and salad and fries for tonight.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Good Afternoon everyone,

Decided to start a pot of soup this am at 730am and just had a bowl for lunch with some toast, great comfort foods for this rainy/cloudy day. I love soup but I like my soup chunky

Called the butcher this am to give the specifics of what and how we wanted the moose done up. Dh mentioned maybe needing another freezer hoping that is not the case as we don't have the funds to buy one and replacing the back door is a must before the snow flies as it's rotten hoping that Home Depot has don't pay for 6 month or a year but will investigate once life is back to normal. Dh is gone back up to the moose camp and will be back on Friday, they are gone back up to pack up their things and do a few odd jobs that need to be done as they left in a hurry to get the moose to a butcher because of the warm temperatures. Also he and FIL will be going back up again next week for a few days to play catch up again on those projects that they want done, this way next spring/summer he wont have to run up their to do them.

Dinner tonight is 2 chicken breast and 4 hot Italian sausages, cleaning the freezer and using those small packages up to make room.

Vacuumed the ceiling downstairs again for a few minutes but to be honest I am really tired, I guess the weather is playing on my ambitions/energy levels.

Checked out the flyers that start tomorrow and well looks like FreshCo. is the place for us, going to stock up on the pork tenderloin for $2.00 lbs so we have some variety we ran out about 1.5 months ago.

Wishing everyone a super afternoon & evening.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

here's my link, need 5 people to use my link to get free Earhoox, I will return the favour, thanks

http://launch.earhoox.com/?ref=3f4eef2f27

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Went to grab groceries on my lunch and did well I think. Freezers are full at home but needed fresh stuff but didn't want to over do it. Trying to shop/cook smart. So spent about $21 between Food Basics and Superstore. Best deal that I wasn't expecting was the wraps at FB were on for .99 (Reg $2.79) And bacon for $1.97. We don't need it lol and I don't make it often anymore but figured with the cold upon us I should grab it on sale and put in the freezer for a Weekend big breakfast or week night dinner when I have nothing planned. I have tons of hashbrowns in the freezer (thanks Cavendish coupon) and we always have eggs on hand so a big breakfast is easy to make. Also found 1 pack of hamburger buns on the reduced rack (tons of hot dog buns) so a 12 pk for $1.50 and they expire on the 19th lol. So thinking I will make chicken burgers tonight for DS for his highschool lunch for the next 2 days. Easy lunch prep in the morning and no handing over money for something worse he could be eating.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

We have a hockey tournament 2 hours away from home this weekend. Was going to drive back and forth but since we have a early day Sat and 2 games that day I will book a room (its under $100 and our tournament in November is $150 cheaper then I was expecting for the hotel room for the weekend so its a wash) So my meal planning for being away begins! Will scan the flyers for sale items that I can pick up Friday before we leave. Then can decide fruit and snacks etc. Will make eggs at home so I can make my hockey player a healthy breakfast in the hotel room

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We have a lacrosse tournament in NY this weekend. So a bit of cross boarder shopping for me (in the budget though). I think we will just do one overnight as we have two more weekends coming up that are two nights in the US.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

oh Nancy I SO wish we never gave our upright away. stupidest decision ever. getting stuff out of our chest is awful. you practically have to unpack to get anything.
    i splurged and ordered myself a hat from a friend. i'll post once i get it. its so freakin cute.
    went to NF's to get a few basics. its a heck of a lot harder to not be frugal when you got minimal $ and payday is friday. so only a few treats
    Nancy.. do you have to give that link your email to help you.
    I have a set of ear hoop plugs from SDM LUV them as they are the only ones that fit my ear. skull something or other.
    i'd rather not give them my email. but if it will help you i will.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    oh Nancy I SO wish we never gave our upright away. stupidest decision ever. getting stuff out of our chest is awful. you practically have to unpack to get anything.
    i splurged and ordered myself a hat from a friend. i'll post once i get it. its so freakin cute.
    went to NF's to get a few basics. its a heck of a lot harder to not be frugal when you got minimal $ and payday is friday. so only a few treats
    Nancy.. do you have to give that link your email to help you.
    I have a set of ear hoop plugs from SDM LUV them as they are the only ones that fit my ear. skull something or other.
    i'd rather not give them my email. but if it will help you i will.
    Mrs. S. don't worry about it I totally understand as you never know what might appear in your email (spam, etc)...

Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread Information