User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: I'm in a bad mood about a lot of things!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

No offence to you personally, but it just boggles my mind that people now adays expect hot lunches and cafeterias in their elementary schools. Our grandson doesn't. He hates most sandwiches, so soups are provided by his parents in thermoses...even in high school we didn't have a cafeteria~! I can't even begin to think of the cost that would be passed along to parents if cafeterias were mandatory!

As for teachers, I have to agree with Angela. Unless you're a teacher or have been married to one, you cannot begin to comprehend that a working day is NOT over at 5pm! They coach, they provide extracurricular activities, and for heaven's sake, they spend Saturdays or Sundays marking papers or making up tests and exams!!
    I thought that in this day and age, that would be understood. Oh. And THEY commute, too!! They don't all live within walking distance to their schools! AND they have children who also have to be driven to schools where no hot lunches are provided!

As for Canada vs the US....I just thank God that I live here and not THERE.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Mon, Dec 8th, 2014 at 10:38 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

The school you describe is very much like our public schools here in Alberta that all four of my kds attended.
    Yes volunteering in kindergarten is very much appreciated.So many little ones at different stages is hard for one person to tend to, i did more than my share as a sahm but many couldn't .it all seems to even out in the end.
    You will be hard pressed to find elementary schools with cafeterias,like others suggest a thermos is a great substitute, my granddaughter brings one daily with leftovers, soup, pasta, perogies etc. You are lucky you can microwave twice a week, most can't.
    the reason you pay a fee for lunch hour is that someone actually comes to the classroom to make sure your child's food gets warmed, hands are washed and proper outer wear on before they go outside and lunches are eaten safely. Money well spent in my opinion, these are usually Mom's that get paid a whole 12.00 a day(Alberta, may be higher now) to watch your child for an hour.Do you want to watch 20 kids eating lunch and keeping things organized for 12.00 an hour?
    I am passing on arriving in Gym clothes..never heard of it and it seems silly to me.
    Yes your are paying for someone to watch your child on PD Days do you think you shouldn't have to.Don't you have training days at work when you aren't available, teachers do and they actually work on these days.
    Funding is very sparse for public schools for extras like supplies for classrooms, yup we buy are own and I am fine with that.I think you would be surprised at how many teachers fork out their own money for the occasional craft supply.
    If the school was doing a fundraiser I didn't want to participate in I would go to the office and just donate 5.00 or 10.00 dollars, I always felt this was a better way to support the school and not have to buy or sell something I didn't want.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    The school you describe is very much like our public schools here in Alberta that all four of my kds attended.
    Yes volunteering in kindergarten is very much appreciated.So many little ones at different stages is hard for one person to tend to, i did more than my share as a sahm but many couldn't .it all seems to even out in the end.
    You will be hard pressed to find elementary schools with cafeterias,like others suggest a thermos is a great substitute, my granddaughter brings one daily with leftovers, soup, pasta, perogies etc. You are lucky you can microwave twice a week, most can't.
    the reason you pay a fee for lunch hour is that someone actually comes to the classroom to make sure your child's food gets warmed, hands are washed and proper outer wear on before they go outside and lunches are eaten safely. Money well spent in my opinion, these are usually Mom's that get paid a whole 12.00 a day(Alberta, may be higher now) to watch your child for an hour.Do you want to watch 20 kids eating lunch and keeping things organized for 12.00 an hour?
    I am passing on arriving in Gym clothes..never heard of it and it seems silly to me.
    Yes your are paying for someone to watch your child on PD Days do you think you shouldn't have to.Don't you have training days at work when you aren't available, teachers do and they actually work on these days.
    Funding is very sparse for public schools for extras like supplies for classrooms, yup we buy are own and I am fine with that.I think you would be surprised at how many teachers fork out their own money for the occasional craft supply.
    If the school was doing a fundraiser I didn't want to participate in I would go to the office and just donate 5.00 or 10.00 dollars, I always felt this was a better way to support the school and not have to buy or sell something I didn't want.
    Well spoken, TG....I could not agree with you, more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information