User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: measles

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Toronto public health is also asking that anyone that may have attend the Acquire the Fire events at Church on the Queensway, located at 1536 The Queensway, may be at risk.

The event was held at the church, formerly called the Queensway Cathedral, on Friday, Feb. 6 and Saturday, Feb. 7. Williams said that a person who has the virus attended the event during the measles infectious period. Individuals who attended the events, and are born after 1970, are requested to review their immunization status to ensure they're protected against the measles, the statement said.

Anyone who has not been immunized is requested to "self-isolate" and contact public health officials, or call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000. They're asked not to attend a doctor's office or health centre without calling first to warn of the risk. "They should not attend any public gatherings and should not attend school, work, daycare or any post-secondary institutions until they are cleared of measles risk," the statement said.

Full article here

I posted a status to my facebook about this as I use to go to church years ago and remember actually attending Aquire the Fire. I'm surprised they still have this event. So I figured maybe some friends that still attend church may have gone and wanted to inform them. Thankfully they didn't go but a g/f of mine does have a friend that attended and will let them know.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    10 cases of measles in Quebec
    get this
    the Quebec measles cases are linked with the California Disneyland cases
    scary

They are anti-vaxxers who belong to some religious extremist group.
    madchives and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I live in the same region @TaraF . Sad that there are people that have an unnecessary disease. My parents are getting their immunities tested to see if they require additional vaccination...this is the process that is being undergone for those born before 1970.
    madchives and TaraF like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I know I don't get my flu or pneumonia shot (bad cancer patient) lol but I'm a HUGE believer in children getting their vaccines. I got them when I was younger, (and a few boosters when I was 18 when I worked with seniors). And then once your kids are adults then leave it up to them to decide what they want to do and if they want to keep them up or not. But that's just me. Having said that.......

The exposure at Toronto's Aquire the Fire was due to someone in Niagara, and all of the cases in Niagara were unvaccinated. There are also more potential exposure sites that have been released for the area for anyone that lives in this area. They are:

- The Boys and Girls Club in Niagara Falls and The Church of God in Chippawa. The possible exposure took place at The Boys and Girls club on Monday February 9th between 6pm and 10pm and The Church of God on Sunday February 8th between 10:30am and 1pm
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, Feb 17th, 2015 at 11:59 PM.
    madchives likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

wondering if the reason i am a tad crazy about getting vaccinated is because
    my mom had scarlett and rheumatic fever and apparently shouldn't have lived.
    so a shot in the arm that can do good to so many,,, why not?
    if you have some spare time

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by madchives View Post
    wondering if the reason i am a tad crazy about getting vaccinated is because
    my mom had scarlett and rheumatic fever and apparently shouldn't have lived.
    so a shot in the arm that can do good to so many,,, why not?
    My mom had rheumatic fever also, she was not supposed to live. She told me horror stories about being in a body cast and then afterwards her sisters had to carry her around for months, back and forth to school. She had lifelong medical implications from that.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My great nephew had scarlet fever last year. Thank goodness it's not how it used to be, thanks to antibiotics.

Gosh, I remember being freaked when our son got Fifth Disease when he was a baby, because I hadn't ever heard of it.

I didn't know anything about rheumatic fever til I just read up on it.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

We now have 6 cases here and there are 9 in Toronto. For those in the Niagara area here in Ontario there is an updated list at this link with new exposure places and times. There is also information on who should be getting the vaccination. That whole before/after 1970 stuff I was yappin about earlier. lol It also has phone numbers and information on where to get the vaccination if you're interested or how to check your records to see if you even are vaccinated. It also includes information regarding the School exclusions and Immunization of School Pupils Act here in Ontario.
    Natalka and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by madchives View Post
    been watching way too much news which talks about whether or not
    to vaccinate.
    personally i think we should.
    Elmo agrees with you. See video where Elmo gets a shot and uses his own strategy to help with his fears
    http://www.people.com/article/elmo-s...t-off-vaccines
    trishka likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Couple of interesting reads this past week. One is an anti-vaxxer from the Ottawa area who has since changed her stance when her children were struck with whooping cough

Another is a case that went to court involving a 10 year old and her two separated parents. One parent didn't want to vaccinate before the girl's trip to Europe, the other one did. In their separation agreement, they had agreed not to vaccinate before the child was 12, when she could then make up her own mind. Court ruled in favour of the father, who thought she should be vaccinated.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Some people may suffer from severe complications, such as pneumonia (infection of the lungs) and encephalitis (swelling of the brain). They may need to be hospitalized and could die. As many as one out of every 20 children with measles gets pneumonia, the most common cause of death from measles in young children.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Just saw this on the web about measles
    Children's immune system weakened for up to 3 years after measles infection

and
    "if you get measles, 3 years down the road, you could die from something that you would not die from had you not been infected with measles."
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/293660.php

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information