User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: measles

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My son is up to date with his vaccines, although as some say, we don't get the flu shot.

Funny thing though on the MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella) vaccine. I know that I had this as a kid, but when I was pregnant they tested me to ensure I was immune. I was not. You can't get a vaccine while pregnant, so they told me that if I saw someone with spots, run away, then they gave me the vax before I left the hospital after giving birth. I have a cousin whose mom had Rubella when she was pregnant, and he is deaf.
    Andit, Natalka, Angela273 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    it was unfortunate that one person commented that "measles caused autism and that the doctor is full of sh*t ", then posted their avatar which is a pic of their young child. I hope that child will have good health into adulthood.

A good article would be by a parent who formerly thought "measles caused autism", but their child (unfortunately) experienced measles and the parent writes that they changed their mind and regretted the serious health effects their child is living with for years. That parent would change some minds.

I hope that this article does not have to be written. I hope people protect their children.
    Andit, Natalka, Angela273 and 3 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Interesting article on herd immunity
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylst...-herd-immunity
    Andit, Shwa Girl, ticul and 1 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    My son is up to date with his vaccines, although as some say, we don't get the flu shot.

Funny thing though on the MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella) vaccine. I know that I had this as a kid, but when I was pregnant they tested me to ensure I was immune. I was not. You can't get a vaccine while pregnant, so they told me that if I saw someone with spots, run away, then they gave me the vax before I left the hospital after giving birth. I have a cousin whose mom had Rubella when she was pregnant, and he is deaf.
    I think there is some confusion about vaccines and the relationship between them and the flu shot. To clarify, I'm not saying Zonny is confused but I think the general public and the media are. The flu shot is not a vaccine like the MMR vaccine. The flu shot is not guaranteed to protect against the flu, and we've seen that this years shot hasn't been all that effective, because it predicts which strain is going to be around this year. I'm not a scientist or have any medical training but my understanding is that the MMR viruses don't mutate the way the flu virus does and so having the MMR vaccine is effective because it's not guessing which strain it is. When people discuss mandatory vaccinations, I don't think they're suggesting mandatory flu shots.

Edit: My brain is not fully functioning this morning so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say...
    Last edited by trishka; Wed, Feb 4th, 2015 at 09:14 AM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post
    The flu shot is not guaranteed to protect against the flu, and we've seen that this years shot hasn't been all that effective, because it predicts which strain is going to be around this year. I'm not a scientist or have any medical training but my understanding is that the MMR viruses don't mutate the way the flu virus does and so having the MMR vaccine is effective because it's not guessing which strain it is. When people discuss mandatory vaccinations, I don't think they're suggesting mandatory flu shots.

Edit: My brain is not fully functioning this morning so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say...
    You are correct that the measles, mumps and rubella viruses differ from the Haemophilus influenza virus.
    You are correct that there are different influenza viruses, each season.
    You are correct that there are varying levels of protection from influenza based on:
    - if the person was exposed to influenza within the 2 weeks of getting a flu vaccine (so get the vaccine early in the season, if possible)
    - if the person has a weak immune systems because of their existing health status, the vaccine may not be as effective as with a "healthier" person
    - if the child is receiving their first flu shot, ever, their body may not be as protected
    - persons with diabetes may not have full protection (again, weaker immune system)
    - persons with respiratory problems may not have full protection (again, weaker immune system)
    - people who smoke may not have full protection (again, weaker immune system)
    - persons with COPD, emphysema, heart disease, cancer, arthritis, HIV, hepatitis not have full protection (again, weaker immune system)
    Andit, trishka and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Late to the party on this one. But I heard on the news that if you were born between certain times you had certain levels of protection (in general). I think if you were born before 1977 you are considered to have full protection because you would have been exposed to measles and had it, and for myself, being born between 1980-1995 I would have only had 1 inoculation and have a "waning dose" or something like that? So that means if I were healthy I wouldn't get hit with it as bad if I contracted it. Can anyone confirm this with a link somewhere? I've been trying to find something online but can't.

Thanks.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

All children born after 1963 should be vaccinated against measles

The Canadian Public Health Agency of Canada says that adults born before 1970 can be presumed to have acquired natural immunity to measles, because the disease was circulating widely in those years. However, health care workers, military personnel and travellers to destinations outside of Canada should receive the MMR vaccine, regardless of year of birth to ensure they are protected.

In 1996 to 1997, every Canadian province and territory added a second dose of measles-containing vaccine to its routine immunization schedule, and most conducted catch-up programs in school-aged children.
    If you don't know whether you were vaccinated as a child, you could try contacting your parents or the family doctor you had as a child, who might still have a record. Public health units also keep records.
    Dr. Allison McGeer, the head of infection control at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital, says if that doesn't work, it's best to talk to your doctor or health provider to find out which vaccines are most important for you to have. Then, he or she can order blood tests to determine your immunity.

If you received both doses, there is a very good chance you are completely protected, since the efficacy of a single dose given at 12 of age is estimated to be 85 to 95 per cent, while the efficacy of the second dose is almost 100 per cent.
    For those who suspect they only ever had one dose of the vaccine, it's worth discussing with your health provider whether you should a booster shot. Those considered at greatest risk of exposure include travellers to destinations outside of North America, health care workers, students in post-secondary educational settings, and military personnel.

If there is an outbreak of measles in your area and you are not sure if have received two doses, it is best to speak to your doctor or health provider.

Last edited by Natalka; Wed, Feb 4th, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
    Andit, TaraF, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Funny thing though on the MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella) vaccine. I know that I had this as a kid, but when I was pregnant they tested me to ensure I was immune. I was not. You can't get a vaccine while pregnant, so they told me that if I saw someone with spots, run away, then they gave me the vax before I left the hospital after giving birth.
    The same thing happened to me. I was vaccinated with the MMR on schedule (early 80's) and then found out while pregnant with my first child that for whatever reason "it did not take" (doctor's explanation) and I was not immune. I was extremely worried. As soon as I had DD, I was given the MMR vaccine again and apparently "it took" because when they tested me when pregnant with DS, I was immune.

I'm assuming that may be part of the reason for 2 shots now...

Both my kids have been vaccinated on schedule as per Ontario's recommended guidelines. The only vaccine they do not/ have not received is the flu shot.
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Wed, Feb 4th, 2015 at 07:55 PM.
    Andit and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Thanks Natalka. I wasn't sure what the time frames were on that. I see Bryan Adams at the ACC on Feb 28th and now I'm all hypochondriac about being stuck in the middle of thousands of people with my crappy immune system. I might wear a mask! lol

Name:  smiley.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  14.0 KB

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Thanks for this thread. I have been selectively pro-vaccination (for life-threatening-in-a-pandemic-way illnesses). I am still forming opinions as I acquire information. That being said, all family members have been immunized with boosters. My family doctor said to get a booster every 10 years, so I know my hubs and I got one when we were around 16 (the second shot of which you are speaking), but another about 10 years after. I recently got a Whooping Cough shot which came with MMR, as I read that Whooping Cough is another disease where a second shot was found to be needed in adulthood. Hubs has not yet had that.

I choose to delay chicken pox vaccination for my children, as both my hubs and I had it and I didn't understand the point. After doing some research on the vaccine itself and measles resurgence last summer I decided if chicken pox was absent due to the vaccine (I did a little poll on my class of Grade 6 students and almost none had had the chicken pox and very few vaccinated), I felt I could spare my children pain and suffering with it.

My daughter is has an autoimmune disease and is sick often, so we had all planned to get the flu shot this year, BUT our doctor's office hours and availability has made that difficult after several attempts, so I have decided to allow the body to do it's natural defence as we are well into the flu season and there is a two-week latent period for the vaccination anyway.

I understand the need for choice. I have been able to change my mind about the flu shot. At this time I would also decline the HPV vaccination in Gr. 8 for my daughters...but that choice could change with time as did the chicken pox. I am trying to understand a family member who is completely anti-vax, and I worry about her child. I would like to know more about the pharmaceutical company benefits for the-non-life-threating-in-a-pandemic-way vaccinations.

At this time, like many things, my beliefs for vaccinations fall on a continuum, not black or white. I am seeking more information. I am willing to change and form new opinions based on data not anecdotes. I am for choice, but not stupidity...it appears to be a fine line. I look forward to following the thread.
    Andit, Patty Smyth, Lynn49 and 1 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I just heard an interesting statistic on the radio , it seems vax talk is popular this week. According to stats(sorry can't remember what study he cited may have been stats-can) vaccinations are on the rise in Canada and we are approaching 95%.

Some areas in California, due to the "celebrity" effect are so low they are on par with 3rd world country vax stats.

The number of cases is no greater in Canada this year than other years. The is no "outbreak".

In the U.S. there are a reported 100 cases of measles, hardly an alarming stat for a country of 350 million.
    Andit and MortgageQueen like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Also schools cannot refuse children who are not vaccinated. I checked with ours.
    Andit likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Also schools cannot refuse children who are not vaccinated. I checked with ours.
    This is true. In face of active cases in an area, however, those unvaccinated children must stay home (Ontario). I imagine this would be determined by public health.

More information:
    http://globalnews.ca/news/510959/fac...ted-in-canada/

It is up to provincial/territorial governments what the legislation is for schools. In Ontario vaccination is compulsory...but as I stated above and outlined in the article, despite the mandate it is ultimately the parents' decision.
    Last edited by Granger; Wed, Feb 4th, 2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added link
    Andit and MortgageQueen like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would encourage everyone who is hot under the collar about "non-vaccinators" to give this article a quick read. It seems to me (as per Patty's comments about there actually being NO outbreak in Canada) that once again the Media has stirred the pot and produced almost akin to hatred for these people. . . who in my opinion are making a personal decision for their family.

It's downright scary how fast they stirred up public animousity. Something to reflect on, I think.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-w...ntent=BISelect

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We did get our shingles vaccines...I saw my Dad go through hell and back with them when I was young and I sure don't want to go through that!! Because I have asthma, I also get my pneumonia shot on schedule....been there, done that, too and don't want to do that again!! Stay well, everyone!!
    Andit and Natalka like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information