User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: measles

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Thanks Natalka. I wasn't sure what the time frames were on that. I see Bryan Adams at the ACC on Feb 28th and now I'm all hypochondriac about being stuck in the middle of thousands of people with my crappy immune system. I might wear a mask! lol
    I am jealous of you, getting to go to see Bryan Adams. Hope you have a good time
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

measles reported in Manitoba today
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I am jealous of you, getting to go to see Bryan Adams. Hope you have a good time
    Thanks Shwa Girl but I swear I'm wearing a mask. I don't care how dumb I look. lol Serious question here. What I don't understand is what is considered an outbreak anymore. It seems that if 2 people get sick with something nowadays it's an outbreak. Is that being overly cautious? Is that causing unnecessary panic? Or is it something to really be concerned about?

I think at last count there were 6 kids in Toronto that had measles, all unrelated cases.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Saw Bryan Admas at Milton Keynes Bowl supporting ZZTop way back in pre-history....he was suporting his it single "everything I do"frpom Robin Hood...

Darth Ye Fossil...
    TaraF and thriftygranny like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I think anyone that sees an infant with whooping cough would be a supporter of vaccination after witnessing it.
    I believe strongly in immunization, I survived measles both red and German, mumps and chicken pox, but I am glad that I had the privilege of protecting my children from them,. Personally I resent people that don't immunize and cannot understand why they have made the choice not to.
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Wed, Feb 11th, 2015 at 01:31 AM.
    Natalka and Shwa Girl like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canadian mother's powerful post on measles: 'I blame you'
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canadia...52f3662fe0436b

Her post is an example of the importance of herd immunity.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Wikipedia - not my favorite source but

Canada[edit]

The Canadian government defines endemic measles as a situation where a chain of transmission continues uninterrupted for 12 months.[1] By this standard, Canada has been free of endemic measles since 1998, but sporadic imported outbreaks have continued.[1]
    Southern regions of the province of Quebec witnessed a measles outbreak affecting 94 persons in the Spring and Summer of 2007. The outbreak lasted 25 weeks, included more than one strain of the measles virus and had 12-17 generations of spread.
    In 2008, Canada had more than 30 confirmed cases in Ontario in 2008, with more than half reported in Toronto.[2]
    In 2011, Quebec experienced the largest outbreak of measles in the Americas since 2002.[3] The outbreak began on 8 with unvaccinated individuals acquiring the disease whilst traveling to France, a country with high measles incidence, and returning home to Quebec.[4] Public health officials responded to the outbreak by launching a mass vaccination campaign,[5] and on 22 December, the outbreak ended with a total of 776 cases having occurred. 615 cases (79%) had not been vaccinated, including 29 infants too young to receive the vaccine. 11% of cases required hospitalization, and complications occurred in 64 cases (8%), with pneumonia being the most common complication observed (3% of cases). No deaths were reported.[3]
    A measles outbreak was declared on 8 March 2014 in regions east of Vancouver in the Fraser Valley area where vaccination rates were known to be low in school and religious groups. A total of 228 cases were confirmed. On March 24, Fraser Health Authority said the outbreak have been contained and confined to the original community. [6]

Last edited by Patty Smyth; Wed, Feb 11th, 2015 at 02:23 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

today, one new case in York Region/Markham Ontario area
    the person was at his doctor's office so those who were waiting for an appointment are affraid, including a Mum with a 15 day old baby
    thriftygranny likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

today, one new case in York Region/Markham Ontario area
    the person was at his doctor's office so those who were waiting for an appointment are affraid, including a Mum with a 15 day old baby
    10 cases in Joliette all from Disneyland visit, all kids unvaccinated.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...reak-1.2953336

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

10 cases of measles in Quebec
    get this
    the Quebec measles cases are linked with the California Disneyland cases
    scary

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The National had a panel discussing the importance of vaccines. They are all pro-vaccines but were there to defend their positions, not necessarily debate.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

WRT the video in the previous post: I wish there was an anti-vaxxer to represent and defend their position. After much research, I have realized I am a converted "hesitant," as they are calling those like me. I have yet to hear an anti-vaccination support their views as well as this. Most of what I have heard has been emotional hype or pseudo-science. I suppose this is why I have converted, but not on all vaccinations...still not buying into HPV.

The only part that made me uncomfortable was the mandatory part of the conversation...a sure way to get opposition is force. At the end of the day, that would violate human rights and would not work.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

The Niagara Region (where I live) has just confirmed its 2nd measles case. The first was an unvaccinated girl in her 20's and the 2nd appears to be a 14 year old girl who contracted it from the first. This a very short local article below.

"Regional Medical Officer of Health Dr. Valerie Jaeger told a news conference Saturday morning that lab results from late last night confirmed the second case

It's a female teenager and this case has been linked to the first confirmed case in Niagara.

An unvaccinated woman in her 20s was found to have contracted the virus earlier this month.

Yaeger says government protocols require her now to take certain precautions to stop further spread of the disease

Students who do not have the required vaccines or have not had time to update their vaccinations status will be excluded from school until they complete their required vaccinations or until the time period of exposure has passed."
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Make that 5 cases where I am. 3 more were confirmed over the weekend. The 3 new cases all involve people under the age of 20 and they have established a link between the cases.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information