User Tag List

Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree2879Likes

Thread: Christmas 2017 thread

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just a thought If you're not much of a sweets-baker but want to give food gifts this holiday, why not do appetizers that are frozen to give as a gift? If you're making them for yourself anyway, most recipes are easy to double.

Like for example :

-Coconut shrimp - Dunk shrimp in tempura batter ($1ish a pouch at RCSS, ethnic aisle) with a little seafood seasoning and a touch of honey mixed in, and then dip in a mix of panko and coconut. Flash fry in your deep fryer for about 10-15 seconds. Then lay out on paper towel and stick them right in the freezer before they start getting soggy. Recipient simply bakes from frozen (about 20 mins @ 375).

- Spanakopitas (make to the ready-to-bake stage and freeze)

- Meatballs (cook and freeze individually)

- Sausage rolls (cooked and ready to be reheated)

-A cheese ball & crackers

-Prepared brie, ready for baking.

-Prepared hot dips like spinach dip or artichoke and asiago. You can buy disposable bakeware to package it. All the recipient has to do is let thaw somewhat and then stick in the oven until it's hot and bubbly.

-Puff Pastry hors dourves (M&M meats has a quartet we used to get that includes spinach/feta, roasted red pepper/asiago, mushroom/leek, caramelized onion etc) which are all easy enough to make at home. All you need are some fancy decorative cuts on the top and you're golden. Bake fully and freeze.

-Mini Quiches

-Jalapeno poppers

-Stuff inside wonton wrappers

-Prepared ready-to-bake bread or buns

The list goes on and on and on. The last thing people want to do around the holidays is worry about having something for when guests drop by. People pay big bucks for that stuff at stores and artisan markets. If you can find it in the frozen aisle, you can make it, and probably better.

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    We used to do cookies/sweets exchange between us sisters, but now that each of us has our own families, that just stopped...

I just finished reading this heartwarming novel about a cookie exchange that had been going on for years and years, mostly with the same members - they have rules and all, but lots of fun - it was a great read, as they each told their story about why they chose that particular sweet to bring (so it went into their background story) - and there are recipes. I like that each woman brought 13 dozen, 12 to share, and a dozen from each woman that would go to their chosen charity.

http://annpearlman.net/blog/book/the...s-cookie-club/
    I read that book about a month ago- LOVED it! It's in my "I plan to read again" pile
    Natalka, Ciel and macw1960 like this.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

@Chantel , love the appetizer idea!! If someone gave me appetizers for a gift I would love them forever- seriously!! We always do an appetizer supper on Christmas eve and I do up a lot of them in advance so it wouldn't be hard at all to make extra to freeze and give as gifts

Got a bunch of shopping done yesterday and I'm almost done the Christmas Eve box for the kids. They each get a new pair of Christmas jammies (matching lol), a new mug, hot chocolate mix, a new movie (usually a Christmas movie but I bought Inside Out so I might just use that), popcorn and snacks, and a new ornament for the tree based on their interests that year. It's been one of our favorite traditions for years. Now, if I could only find a Minecraft ornament somewhere for DS...
    Natalka, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Took advantage of the awesome weather and did my front porch urns this afternoon. Bought 3 birch branches thinking that I could cut them in half and have 3 for each urn but decided that they would be to short. Didn't want to spend another $15 so had some regular tree branches Ina pile in back yard to took watered down white paint and an old toothbrush and lightly dry brushed them to look like the birch...decided they were too white so rubbed dirt into them and they look pretty good. Then ran around the yard with clippers and cut cedar branches,different types of evergreens like frazer fur, Australian pine, weeping Cyprus and holly, added in some kiwi vine branches and ivy and they look great. Will add in a bow and some Christmas balls on Friday and all done! This seems to be an off year for my holly...not many berries. Last year they were loaded with berries? Too bad.
    Great effort! Especially with the painting and dirt Would love to see pictures
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sheetsofemptycanvas View Post
    @Chantel , love the appetizer idea!! If someone gave me appetizers for a gift I would love them forever- seriously!! We always do an appetizer supper on Christmas eve and I do up a lot of them in advance so it wouldn't be hard at all to make extra to freeze and give as gifts

Got a bunch of shopping done yesterday and I'm almost done the Christmas Eve box for the kids. They each get a new pair of Christmas jammies (matching lol), a new mug, hot chocolate mix, a new movie (usually a Christmas movie but I bought Inside Out so I might just use that), popcorn and snacks, and a new ornament for the tree based on their interests that year. It's been one of our favorite traditions for years. Now, if I could only find a Minecraft ornament somewhere for DS...
    Minecraft ornament would be an easy enough diy. I see a few on google image search. They are pretty low on detail and could be made with square beads or something like that.
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I just finished a lovely handmade basket for my hairdresser -she is a family friend and always charges hubby and I less each time we go in the basket I got (oh basket was new 2.99)
    -puff 1.00
    -anne geddes xmas blank notebook 2.00
    -fruits and passions shower gel and lotion 3.99 (bought new at a garage sale ) she didn't care for it -cranberry
    -body shop bar of soap 2.00
    -face mask 1.00
    -hand lotion -avon .79 (another garage sale find)new
    (1) pr socks .97
    -emery board 1.48
    -foot file -half off at fortinos 1.82
    -airwick candle bought last year for 4.00
    -nivea chap stick -free after coupon
    -foot cream -free after 5.00 cpn months back
    -Cadbury chocolate bar large one 1.00 after checkout51

spent 22.64 on a lovely homemade gift -see shopping for small things year round helps me save a little bit at xmas and she loves the baskets I make

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Two more gifts bought online today...cash calendars and they help support breast cancer.
    Natalka likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by vw_girl View Post
    Great effort! Especially with the painting and dirt Would love to see pictures
    When I get them completely finished, ran out of daylight on Wednesday and Thursday was super windy and rainy I will post. I am really happy with them so far. Just have to figure out how to post a picture!
    vw_girl likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Last week yves rocher was out off stock about a promotion of jewellery trio for free gift with order so they send me another one with a free hand cream for the inconveniance and I have a 15$ credit for next time to my account
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I think Christmas will be with my father again this year no plans are made......I miss my child Christmas time and my mom ,with brother who are in heaven now
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Another present bought today.
    cath007 likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Vacation day today so finally went through the Christmas gift bin. Kids stockings are mostly done. Just want to grab iTunes or other gift card each. Niece is done for books and tons of toys ( she is 1 ��) but want to get her an outfit. Have a few little gifts for gram to unwrap but need a gift card still. Kids have a few little things. Just need Santa gifts but have my ideas ( teen was gifted and early $1600 guitar! So he isn't getting much more)
    macw1960, scouponer and vw_girl like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 33848
Size:  94.9 KB the teens stocking so far. I like to get long narrow things to fit lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 33848
Size:  94.9 KB the teens stocking so far. I like to get long narrow things to fit lol
    Our stockings are so big that they go in large bins.so we don't have to worry about size and shape. One year my mom bought stockings that were so big I could stand in it and pull over my head. These stockings were per couple. It was hysterical when my mom and dad lugged these things out completely full.only used one year then decided to downsize a bit and gave some of the $ we would have spent to charity. My brother and I paid our own way through university and that's when our stockings became so big. Parents stocking us up with food and toiletries etc for the year.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

got a 10.00 tim hortons gift card to put in a card with the basket for my hairdresser -a little extra for her

Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread Information