User Tag List

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree2595Likes

Thread: January 2016 frugal chat thread

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    She has no idea what is going on with her work, they have lost a number of employees but head office does not want to replace anyone so they are in a holding pattern until their year end in February to see where they will stand on hours for her department.
    I think lots of work places have the same situation - less people, I mean.
    When we have someone retire or have time off with a new baby, no new hiring.
    We know we will have more work in 2016.
    Plus more people will have to be at work at one time -- no more having people take all their vacation for kids at March Break or summer holidays when school is out.

At least I know that the job will be there in 2016.
    At least I know that the time will fly at work.

Already looking forward to vacation and days off. Looking forward to enjoying 2016.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@YOU AND ME Hope you recover quickly.Prayers and positive thoughts to you and your sister.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Happy weekend, everyone!

I have never kept track of savings, just been very grateful when they have come around.

We did a fair bit of stocking up on groceries before the holidays - especially some meats, so we'll just be dealing with keeping up on bread and produce - so not too much on the shopping list this week, which is great.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Happy New Year. Our church does a fast in the new year. It will start tomorrow. While not fully decided, I think I am going to give up social media, which means SC too. It will be for 21 days. Join up at the end of January.

Since I will most likely be on hiatus...and this is my most frequented thread...my first goal for 2016 is to pay off the LOC. About $2000 from our second vehicle purchase. Being that last January we paid $7000 cash and successfully paid off $4000 LOC for the first, I am feeling far less stressed about it than last year.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

morning all.
    So yesterday - cleaned the pantry out. it looks fab.andIhave a lot of meal ideas. so good shape there.

today made cinnamon rolls. - leftout 10 for the family. frozeabout 40ish for future breakfasts. froze them in unbaked, but ready to rise.so all I have to do is take them out the night before... and they will be ready to bake in the am.

I need rice , fruits, veggies, and milk for groceries. will do that today.

I need to figure out how to do all the coupon apps ont he phone . snap,and co 51? I think those are whatit is called, I never know . ... I would like to do better with those this year. I never have figured out howto do them.
    points... well, points I am a pro.
    getting a book at the dollar store to start tracking savings. I have done it in the past ... did well... Iwas up to about 3000 in savings...

my goal this year. is to do 1 savings thing a day. hang laundry, things like the cinnamon rolls for the freezer. use up leftovers. something.
    1 a day is doable.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

OK, I don't get it. I have a nephew who has travelled Europe (while on student loans). He has a good job now but tons of debt. He needs winter tires for his truck but says he can't afford them because he had too many other unexpected expenses.

I told him flat out that he shouldn't be taking trips if he didn't have the money - to get his loans paid off first. He looked at me like I had two heads and said, "We'll then I'll never get to see anything for years." I said, "If it takes 10 years then so be it." What is it with people...sigh....the age of entitlement I suppose. But it bugs me because we get to hear these stories and it is almost like he is hoping some family members will cough up the money for him!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Happy New Year. Our church does a fast in the new year. It will start tomorrow. While not fully decided, I think I am going to give up social media, which means SC too. It will be for 21 days. Join up at the end of January.

Since I will most likely be on hiatus...and this is my most frequented thread...my first goal for 2016 is to pay off the LOC. About $2000 from our second vehicle purchase. Being that last January we paid $7000 cash and successfully paid off $4000 LOC for the first, I am feeling far less stressed about it than last year.
    We will be thinking of you while you do your social media fast. I have been away as well for a few weeks and wow a lot more can get done in a day, just not as much fun!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Momof5boys: it amazings me how people of all ages have no idea about saving for something. Travel should is a want not a need. Snow tires are a need.
    Granger: we will miss you, enjoy the media fast. A great idea.
    Am I the only one that likes January. It's like spring cleaning early when all the Christmas stuff gets put away. The house looks great
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I told bf we need to make use of the breadmaker more as we have the ingredients and go through alot of bread.

I've sat down and built a budget for jan to march with bf being off. We will have to touch some savings but not as much as it could be...and it could be less if certain things get processed in a timely manner.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Saundyl: I so agree on the bread machine. I need to dig mine out of the basement. I am really digging in this year to try and reduce costs as much as we can. As I have said my work is super stressful and I need to scale back or lose my mind and since I work in mental health scaling back is the ideal solution. But we still have some significant finacial goals first, once we reach those I hope to quit as this is not a job I can do part time. I am thinking 20 more months. DH is on board and to some degree so are the kids as the see my stress level.
    logan's BFF has twin brothers so tonight we are hosting a sleepover with the three boys, they are just 5 yrs old but just love their time with us, tomorrow we are backing cookies before they go home.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Youandme, my thoughts are with you. Winter is so much harder when you are battling depression, you know this. But you need to take care of yourself first.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Saundyl: I so agree on the bread machine. I need to dig mine out of the basement. I am really digging in this year to try and reduce costs as much as we can. As I have said my work is super stressful and I need to scale back or lose my mind and since I work in mental health scaling back is the ideal solution. But we still have some significant finacial goals first, once we reach those I hope to quit as this is not a job I can do part time. I am thinking 20 more months. DH is on board and to some degree so are the kids as the see my stress level.
    logan's BFF has twin brothers so tonight we are hosting a sleepover with the three boys, they are just 5 yrs old but just love their time with us, tomorrow we are backing cookies before they go home.
    I understand the scaling back as well as the need to reduce stress levels. As well as the need at times to stick with ut because of financial reasons.

In switching jobs in November I've discovered just how stressed i really was in my old job...and how much happier i am...bf is and the boys are with my tensions reduced. Im much more pleasant to be around again. I didn't realize how much my work stress was affecting our family.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by YOU AND ME View Post
    Happy New Year all

Well December wasn't a good month for me found out one of my sister has bladder cancer she will be starting treatment this month.

My youngest DD has frequent attacks of kidney stones which happens at 4 times a month so i'm usually in charge of the kids

My depression has gotten the best of me in December too many things going on .A few days ago fell down a flight of stairs broke a rib and black and blue from hip to my knee on both sides,hurt my back and both arms now i have to take it easy.

I hope 2016 is a better year as 2015 wasn't that great

coupongirl i have been keeping track of what i have saved through the year will have to check it out and see how much i've saved

Got to get busy and work on my budget for 2016 have to get that damn LOC paid off so no unnecessary spending and try to make more money somehow .

Well making some spaghetti sauce better go and check on it .
    Oh, YOU AND ME! I'm so sorry to hear your troubles.
    Gentle hugs to you!
    Here's hoping your sister's treatment goes well and is not too invasive!

Kidney stones are NOT a happy time. My dh used to get a lot of them. His are uric acid ones though, not calcium, and so he takes sodium bicarbonate and that has been very effective. Maybe a change in diet would help your DD?

A broken rib is no way to start the new year!

Best wishes!

Thanks for starting the new thread, coupon girl! I was noticing that J&C has not been around. Do you know why?

We have started the new year by making a plan to move to an apartment. We have a month to clear out our house and sell it. Think it can be done????

Hope so!

So mega, crash purge!

Will catch up later.

Happy Holidays to those who head back to work on Monday!
    saundyl, Crochetlady, Ciel and 6 others like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @coupon girl excellent savings my dear
    @YOU AND ME so sorry to hear about your injuries and mental well being (take care of yourself), so sorry to hear about your sister, sending prayers for you and your/her family.

I've been mia(ing) an internet problem along with a busy holiday season, Wishing everyone a year of health, happiness and prosperity
    @coupon girl thanks for starting the new year frugal chatter thread, great bunch of folks on here
    Glad to see you back, J&C! I was just asking about you!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post

That's quite a goal, Granger!
    Will miss you lots!
    Good luck with your "fasting" from Social Media!
    I bet you will get a lot done!
    See you in February!

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information