User Tag List

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree1079Likes

Thread: Crazy Grocery Prices - Due to Loonie tanking.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Bough cauliflower for the first time in ages. Bought at superstore..pm'd farm boy 2/$4 and Dh had 200 points for every 1$ so $1.60 each. Also got a pork picnic shoulder on a 3 day special for $.99lb at farm boy (London locations only). It was pretty big and cut in half so can use in 2 seperate meals and it was $10. Never cooked on before but Jamie Oliver had a recipe so will try that. Also got 2 big packs of chicken breasts with bone for $2.99 lb. they were nice looking.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Fortino's has a deal on regular white cauliflower this week:2 for $5 or $2.50 each. The regular purple (teeny) cauliflower is $4.99 but walk over to the reduced produce rack->there are about 4 heads at $1.99 each. I noticed bags of reduced green beans are $1.99 but in the regular produce section, they are over $5.
    Did an early look around today as I had to recheck my Guiding Stars count for items purchased on the 11th as I am missing 100pts for one eligible GS item ranked with 3-stars.
    Natalka, macw1960 and dededi like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Saw on the news a couple of days ago that celery is predicted to be the next veggie to be hit with a price increase. Peppers are having to be shipped in from overseas instead of from Mexico. And then I see Youtube videos of all the still good food being picked out of dumpsters by people dumpster diving.
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ High celery prices have hit here already. I really needed some last week, so had husband get it for $2 - and there were maybe 6 or 7 long skinny stalks on it.
    macw1960 and dededi like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    ^ High celery prices have hit here already. I really needed some last week, so had husband get it for $2 - and there were maybe 6 or 7 long skinny stalks on it.
    $4.49 here

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I think that if there is low demand for high-priced produce, and it sits rotting on the counter, sooner or later there will be a breaking point where grocery chains will need to lower prices.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Celery here is $4. Refused to buy it even with 500 points offer. I usually eat celery every day so I miss it.mhope somebody has it on sale soon

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Fruits have started coming down in place especially apples, pears and oranges. Produce should be next.

loonie is also slightly inching up now, grocery prices should be decent by March. Just 1 month or so to tough it out, before weather and prices improve.
    macw1960 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Fruits have started coming down in place especially apples, pears and oranges. Produce should be next.

loonie is also slightly inching up now, grocery prices should be decent by March. Just 1 month or so to tough it out, before weather and prices improve.
    Produce prices are down in some areas. Cauliflower was $1.88 this week
    We got mini sweet potatoes for $1.49/bag, reg. $4.99/bag

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaK View Post
    I think that if there is low demand for high-priced produce, and it sits rotting on the counter, sooner or later there will be a breaking point where grocery chains will need to lower prices.
    Exactly! I keep saying that, JUST stop buying many items unless you absolute cannot go without something. Force the stores to lower the prices.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Exactly! I keep saying that, JUST stop buying many items unless you absolute cannot go without something. Force the stores to lower the prices.
    I have eaten so much Ontario carrots and rutabagas that I don't know if I am going to make it lol

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I have eaten so much Ontario carrots and rutabagas that I don't know if I am going to make it lol
    Awwww....I have missed broccoli, we usually ate 2-3 a week, but I just stopped buying it when the price went crazy high ( well high for me was when it hit a dollar! lol ) Now I have a war on celery! ( pffft! over $3.00 for one! )
    On a much happier note I bought a 10 lb bag of very large onions ( I love when the onions in the bags are big!! ) and the cashier at WM said
    " you are PM that right " ? but I had just my wallet ( no flyers with me ) and she said that's o.k. and gave me the pm price of $2.99

Cannot wait till the prices come back down a bit....IF they do??

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolthepickle View Post
    I've noticed that tomatoes are really high now.
    But baby wipes have gone back down. Last year they were at least a third higher than they are now.
    Yes the tomatoes are so pricey. We had to do canned this week (I come from an Italian family. Tomatoes are so important in everything. We never, ever use canned, but the price is right (99 cents) so had to switch this week)

We spent $100 on groceries yesterday and the only fresh produce we bought were some figs, plums, and carrots. Everything else was expensive, looking mouldy, or expired tomorrow, even at the fancy renovated Loblaws which we went to specifically to get produce. I'm trying to figure out how to eat healthy this week. Canned beans I think, but that's more protein, less veg. I really hate the taste of canned vegetables like green beans or peas, but I think we'll have to make due
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Jan 25th, 2016 at 12:06 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

^ you've got to try cooking dry beans: they taste way better than canned. It's just the 1-1/2 to 2 hour simmer that sucks.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    ^ you've got to try cooking dry beans: they taste way better than canned. It's just the 1-1/2 to 2 hour simmer that sucks.
    +1

We stocked up the cupboards a while ago with all types of the dry beans ( now when the canned ones are on sale I am not even tempted ) and the yield is so much more with the ones you soak overnight. Mmmm, agree the flavour/texture is the best!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information