User Tag List

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1079Likes

Thread: Crazy Grocery Prices - Due to Loonie tanking.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    But when our weather gets better, Ontario produce will be available at reasonable prices. Those who can freeze, can or keep in a cold cellar will be able to have lots of cheap veggies over winter.
    Yes! I'm not wasting valuable garden space when I can buy 10 LBs of onions (red and yellow) for .99 cents a bag!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Yes! I'm not wasting valuable garden space when I can buy 10 LBs of onions (red and yellow) for .99 cents a bag!
    I agree! Last year I decided to buy fresh veggies in season ( therefore cheaper) and put all of my garden to use for the winter. I grew peppers, tomatoes and herbs. As the tomatoes harvested, I would make either tomato sauce, pizza sauce, or chili based sauce and froze it, in meal size. I have enough that it will take us from October to at least March. (we use one container a week).

We love coloured peppers but they get so expensive this time of year. I have fresh frozen for my stir frys, chilis, casseroles etc.

I will have more time this year, so I may have expand my garden so that I can blanch veggies for freezing as well.
    Ciel, macw1960, wolfwoman and 2 others like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    I agree! Last year I decided to buy fresh veggies in season ( therefore cheaper) and put all of my garden to use for the winter. I grew peppers, tomatoes and herbs. As the tomatoes harvested, I would make either tomato sauce, pizza sauce, or chili based sauce and froze it, in meal size. I have enough that it will take us from October to at least March. (we use one container a week).

We love coloured peppers but they get so expensive this time of year. I have fresh frozen for my stir frys, chilis, casseroles etc.

I will have more time this year, so I may have expand my garden so that I can blanch veggies for freezing as well.
    That is exactly what we are doing! Growing all the stuff to make pasta sauce (and some soups etc) and the veggies we can freeze etc for winter use. We are in the middle of a snowstorm/squalls and I was just thinking that I want to plan the garden on date night Friday night! (Dinner made at home with usually way too much wine!)
    We are using our Canadian Tire money to get plants etc so I was happy to get gas today and receive $1.60 in CT $
    Ciel, macw1960 and toronto166 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post

Did you start any seeds indoors last year?
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Some produce is grown in Ontario hydroponic garden operations. I did not see Ontario grown English cucumbers but rather Mexican ones in the produce aisle.
    It's going to be a creative produce time this winter. 69 US cents for one Cdn $-ow!
    Anyone who canned or pickled things last summer must be really happy to have a stash of ready eating on hand.

When you reach for the $2.50 cauliflower heads, some heads need minimal trimming of brown spots but other heads (after you trim the big stalks) might only have about 1/2 head of useful florets after all trimming is done. This is the last week that I buy reduced cauliflower for roasting. Going to look for deals on other root vegetables (peeled and chopped the rest of my bag of carrots last night).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Did you start any seeds indoors last year?
    Last year, no. The year before, yes. It came down to time. This year, I will do seeds again. I think.

On a different note, I was in my local no frills talking to the man refilling the pork ribs on sale. He told me that they had not ordered enough for the sale for the weekend. It caught them off guard, I think. I teased him saying that with cauliflower @ $5.97 people are desperate to save money. He responded saying that it isn't the worst. They have decided not to order pomegranates to the store as they are now $4.00 each. I was shocked. I wonder what that means for juice?
    Last edited by matty's mom; Wed, Jan 13th, 2016 at 07:17 PM.
    Lori, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    yikes did you see the prices in Nunavut. A bag of pasta was $5.99, orange juice $15. Milk $10, tide $30.
    Ciel, macw1960, Candini and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    I think that these prices have been that way in Nunavut for a very long time --> not just this year.
    Ciel, macw1960, wolfwoman and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^yep, I remember hearing a lg. jar of Cheese Whiz could cost $29 in Nunavut, whoo!
    Ciel, macw1960, Candini and 2 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

A family member's cleaning lady's daughter was living in Nunavut and the list of things she missed eating because she could not afford them was quite long. 5 lb bag of potatoes was $30.
    Ciel, macw1960, wolfwoman and 1 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Fresh produce and fruits are generally more expensive during winter months...
    AGREED!

Try grocery shopping on the west coast - since we moved here - 12 years ago - our brocolli, cauliflower and celery etc - are sold by the POUND. Although I just that our cauliflower, right now, is 'each' - ($5.00 for not a bad size). I don't think that is much more than what was being offered in the summer @ up to 1.99/ lb
    Ciel, macw1960 and toronto166 like this.
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I was shopping at RCSS on Sunday & I have never seen so many people phone in hand price matching. The cashier I had said 50% of the shoppers were PMing now.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So many shoppers price-matching...wow!
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information