User Tag List

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Like Tree2233Likes

Thread: December 2016 Frugal Chatter thread (all welcome)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SS-I know you are seeing the doctor regularly but I was just wondering if it is worth asking if reflux meds will help your baby keep her feeds down and gain more? I know some newborns spit up alot and might need meds until they outgrow this. Hope things are improving with her feeds and weight checks.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Very little shopping will have to be done over the next week, which is a very good, frugal thing!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-yes nat very little shopping for groceries at this end too -I will skip this week and go out next Wednesday or Thursday
    -angela I read your post in the "what did you do to save money today" I commend you for spending very little over the holidays -I see it too much (even my daughter-in-law is a shopaholic for sure and buys ashlyn too much -I don't say anything as I wish to remain a nice mother-in-law and its not my business) but on the other hand my daughter asked me if I would not buy Sebastian any toys this xmas as 4 people in total (sister-in laws and her mother-in-law) were probably buying him a few toys and they don't have the space -so I bought him much needed clothing and money towards his travel playpen
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Dec 30th, 2016 at 09:34 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have returns to do. Does anyone know if Best Buy does exchanges without any receipt (sales or gift).
    Newfiescreech, ROMEO, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -yes nat very little shopping for groceries at this end too -I will skip this week and go out next Wednesday or Thursday
    -angela I read your post in the "what did you do to save money today" I commend you for spending very little over the holidays -I see it too much (even my daughter-in-law is a shopaholic for sure and buys ashlyn too much -I don't say anything as I wish to remain a nice mother-in-law and its not my business) but on the other hand my daughter asked me if I would not buy Sebastian any toys this xmas as 4 people in total (sister-in laws and her mother-in-law) were probably buying him a few toys and they don't have the space -so I bought him much needed clothing and money towards his travel playpen
    Thank you. We don't go big on holidays or birthdays. Our children do not "need" anything. I wish some people would put money towards their savings accounts vs giving us unwanted gifts that our children do not play with and our home does not have room for. We spent $130 total on all three children, Dh, friends, and family. I am not including the few gifts Dh bought for me, they weren't expensive and I don't want to examine his purchases for me. This does not include the family pictures that we had taken with Wal-Mart. This does not include the gas, and eating out from our 3 day trip to Saskatoon. We put over half of the money from the grandparents into each of the children's personal savings accounts, the rest was spent on our Saturday of family activities with my sister.

How we spent this little on gifts for Christmas. We do not buy gifts for some people, and they do not buy for us either. My family stopped their adult gift exchange a few years ago. I used coupons on some gifts. We redeemed $30 in Optimum points. I bought a few items second hand for our children. I also redeemed Pampers rewards points for two $25 gift cards that were on clearance. Both gift cards were a perfect patch to people on our list. We could have spent a bit less, but I didn't know that Dh was buying little toys for our kids stockings, otherwise he possibly could have used my $10 off toy coupon.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Dec 30th, 2016 at 11:22 AM.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 6 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Angela-good for you! I don't think they need much either-especially at their young ages. If you don't already have an RESP for them, may I suggest considering converting their personal savings accounts into one and having the govt contribute a 20% bonus too!
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-I was just having tea with my neighbour and told her this is the year to condense -I made 545.00 from kijiji in 2016
    -and yes angela my daughter fully believes in saving for Sebastian future (he even got a piggy bank for xmas they bought for him ) incase anyone wants to contribute or he gets money as gifts)and will be opening an RESP,my son on the other hand has a savings account for ashlyn -whatever works
    -well tallied up what I spent this xmas mind you had a new grandson added in and a few friends ,and hostess gifts I had bought-only spent 300.00 more than last year so not too bad -at least its all paid off when the visa came in in dec and my mastercard next month
    -cant wait to go out new years eve early for supper with hubby's brother and his wife -haven't had a nice evening in awhile
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Sobeys shopping trip took longer than I had hoped, but our young children did quite well. I had to do two transactions to use my $3 off wub2 Canadian cheese coupons because it said one per transaction, so it wasn't as good of a deal on the cheese and I bought 8 blocks. We have lots of marble cheese now.
    $116.69 OOP from free Air Miles gift cards
    438AM = $46.11 in future Air Miles
    $8 in coupons
    $10 free gift card
    Forgot to get the rain check.

$10.50 refund for the undercooked rotisserie chicken that I purchased on Tuesday.

The guy that is storing the yard tractor in our garage stopped by and gave me a cheque for $80 to store it until the end of April. I have an $80 pickup scheduled for early this evening.

edit: Today I am +$160 and bought a cart full of groceries with my Air Miles gift cards to Sobeys.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Dec 30th, 2016 at 05:25 PM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 5 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Angela-good for you! I don't think they need much either-especially at their young ages. If you don't already have an RESP for them, may I suggest considering converting their personal savings accounts into one and having the govt contribute a 20% bonus too!
    We already have education funds set up for each of our children that we contribute to monthly. These savings accounts are extra. Most of the money in these accounts are from Christmas and birthday money. It is surprising how much money is in our oldest son's account.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Dec 30th, 2016 at 03:50 PM.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Today had a brighter white sky while the snow was falling into the afternoon but a greyish cast has returned to the sky again. I'm finding this week a problem light wise and sinuses are acting up via a headache today.

Was glad I did an evening shovelling of the driveway last night as the snow had firmed up . This morning's snow I only removed from the steps and walks and garbage shed (snow does not fall off of the roof readily).

Realized that my carried-forward education credits from a long past continuing education course are going to waste for 2016 income tax year (as I don't have income that needs to be brought down for taxes) and thus they jump the shark (they won't be useful for 2017 income tax claim as credits are eliminated). Suggest all of you carrying forward any tax credits to review what can be applied against your personal tax claims for 2016.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -I was just having tea with my neighbour and told her this is the year to condense -I made 545.00 from kijiji in 2016
    -and yes angela my daughter fully believes in saving for Sebastian future (he even got a piggy bank for xmas they bought for him ) incase anyone wants to contribute or he gets money as gifts)and will be opening an RESP,my son on the other hand has a savings account for ashlyn -whatever works
    -well tallied up what I spent this xmas mind you had a new grandson added in and a few friends ,and hostess gifts I had bought-only spent 300.00 more than last year so not too bad -at least its all paid off when the visa came in in dec and my mastercard next month
    -cant wait to go out new years eve early for supper with hubby's brother and his wife -haven't had a nice evening in awhile
    Our son was given a piggy bank for Christmas last year. He gets excited when he can run to his room to put in more change. He even puts in any change that he finds outside. He says that he is waiting until it is full, then he's going to go down to the bank to deposit it into his savings account. It was his idea to wait until it is full, which is quite entertaining. He already comments about how heavy it is.
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I feel like I am at a crossroads of saving/frugal living and I am searching for the next level if that makes sense. I have spent the past year reading minimalist blogs and frugal blogs and I am at the point that I refuse to bring more stuff into my house, for the sake of stuff. I am very aware of the clutter that we are soon going to have to deal with in both our parents homes and I am not going to do that to my kids. So I have unsubscribed from all store emails and shopping blogs, the exception being this one and I know I will need to stay primarily in this thread as I have to resist the deal posts for fear of missing out. This mindset is working as I examine every purchase I make especially if its for me. I just did our 2016 year end net worth and we increased by 22%. I don't count cars and houses and we paid cash for a brand new card this year. Our last big expense is a full kitchen renovation. We have been waiting 15 years for this so my spendy self will be have an outlet. In 2018 we begin the college/university tuition for the boys, but like many of you we started this when they were babies so I feel some what ready.
    Natalka, ROMEO, JadeAngel and 5 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Angela: I have one son that is saver to his core and it was evident from a young age, he loved a full piggy bank. Now he moves his paycheque to savings as soon as he gets it. I am very happy to report that son also do his g1 test this week and we can now begin the driving lessons (not with his parents). It is such a milestone.
    FBM & Coupon Girl: You inspired me this year and I managed to make close to 600.00 and I have a lot less stuff. So I am going to keep searching for things to sell from my house in 2017.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Ciel-if you can't use your education credit this year can your parents?
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I feel like I am at a crossroads of saving/frugal living and I am searching for the next level if that makes sense. I have spent the past year reading minimalist blogs and frugal blogs and I am at the point that I refuse to bring more stuff into my house, for the sake of stuff. I am very aware of the clutter that we are soon going to have to deal with in both our parents homes and I am not going to do that to my kids. So I have unsubscribed from all store emails and shopping blogs, the exception being this one and I know I will need to stay primarily in this thread as I have to resist the deal posts for fear of missing out. This mindset is working as I examine every purchase I make especially if its for me. I just did our 2016 year end net worth and we increased by 22%. I don't count cars and houses and we paid cash for a brand new card this year. Our last big expense is a full kitchen renovation. We have been waiting 15 years for this so my spendy self will be have an outlet. In 2018 we begin the college/university tuition for the boys, but like many of you we started this when they were babies so I feel some what ready.
    That's incredible 22%, great job

I hear ya about the stuff dh has really decluttered this year and I'm extremely grateful, what a difference it makes.

And like you I dread having to deal with my parents stuff as they have a house, a summer place (NS) and my dad's storage building....so much crap. They go to garage sales and continue to buy, I just don't get it to be honest. There house could be considered organized hoarders if there is such a thing but the other 2 buildings is definitely HOARDING.
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread Information