User Tag List

Page 1886 of 1958 FirstFirst ... 886 1386 1786 1836 1876 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1896 1936 ... LastLast
Results 28,276 to 28,290 of 29357
Like Tree118520Likes

Thread: Chat-a-Thon 2017-18 Thread!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I just read a blog post from the wife of the Businessman Shahzada Dawood. This is an account of a close call the 2 of them
    had in 2019 on a flight.

Her name is Christine and she wrote the following.

I should have known when they cancelled our flight and put us on the next one. We should have taken the sign, gone back home and had a long and
    generous breakfast. But we didn’t, and this flight became one of the most memorable ones of my life.
    The start was uneventful and so was most of the cruising but just as the seat belt signs came on to alert us to our imminent landing approach, the plane
    took a deep plunge. I later read that a plane doesn't drop more than three to five metres during turbulence, but my stomach in that moment would beg to differ.

The whole cabin let out one simultaneous cry, which turned to a whimper and then silence.
    Dead silence.The plane plunged again, and shook left and right.
    I felt like a grain in a big bag of sand, or a boxer being soundly defeated – punched from all directions. I clutched my armrests, as if that would make a difference.
    I needed something to hold on to, something stable in a shaky metal tube thousands of feet above the ground.

I've read many times that people start to pray in such situations or that their life flashes by like a movie. My husband told me later that he was thinking of all the
    opportunities he’d missed and how much he still wanted to teach our children. My thoughts weren't that selfless though. In fact, they were quite the opposite.
    All I could think of was how much I abuse my body. Stuffing it with junk and poison. Yes, poison!
    I made a deal then. With God, the universe, whoever was listening. "Let me land safely and I’ll never touch a cigarette again."

It went dark. Storm clouds amassed around us, immersing the cabin in a strange kind of twilight. It was not quite light and yet not fully dark. It engulfed us,
    teased us and breathed fear into some and bravery into others. The mumbling got louder. Some were praying, I'm sure, some just nervously talking. I heard a
    cry here or there and a few swear words thrown in for good measure. People were falling back on their natural coping mechanisms I realized, and mine was calmness.
    Not the good kind, though. It was the stillness stemming from absolute terror. I was frightened like never before in my life. I wasn't even able to wipe away the tears
    running down my face or move my head to look around.

Plunge!
    It wasn't over yet. Shake left, shake right! My head hit the window. Then came an announcement. It was the captain telling us that he would try to land
    from a different angle. The engines roared and we gained height again. There was a moment of stillness when we were out of the clouds but the relief I longed for
    didn't come. As the plane turned, my side lifted forcing me to look down to my left. My husband faced me, our eyes locked and our hands interlinked. No words
    were needed. He was as scared as I was and yet we were together. ‘Until death do...’ No, don't go there!

The shaking started again. Even heavier than before if that was even possible. I don't know how long it took for us to land. Five minutes? Ten? I started praying then,
    chanting the same phrase over and over again. I transported myself into a form of trance, still holding the armrest on one side and my husband’s hand on the other.
    I blanked out the noise and buried myself in a hidden place deep inside.

Touch down!
    The force of the thrust slowing the plane brought me back to reality. We had made it. We had survived. But I still couldn't move. I still couldn't comprehend.
    We were safely on the ground and yet my throat felt as if a noose was tightly around it. I felt a squeeze of my hand and heard somebody talking to me, but I was frozen still.
    It's then that I realized that my life had changed and would never be the same again.

@Lynn49 I fully understood all the warnings and evidence that this vessel had stacked up against it wrt it's safety....and yet as you said, guests
    paid their money and allowed themselves to be buried at sea essentially. I hope to God they NEVER ever make a damn movie about this!

Last edited by walkonby; Thu, Jun 22nd, 2023 at 06:15 AM.
    Lynn49 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Purdee, Lynn49, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Skippy, harbie, Purdee and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I thought the guy was crouching there in his boxer shorts
    Purdee, Lynn49, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@walkonby , thanks for that article, scary indeed. However I reacted very differently after my flight with our DD out of Th.bay in that Bearskin flight. We dropped 300’ at one time with several other smaller drops, seeing the pilot using all his strength to handle the control, steering wheel….I mean fighting the wheel, seeing his tension, the co-pilot doing things quickly…I really felt we would be crashing to the ground anytime. I felt her anxiety, the sheer terror, making deals with God…until I saw we were landing back in ThBay. We were safe in that snowstorm.
    Unlike her husband who felt he didn’t want to miss opportunities for …what…excitement? I felt quite the opposite. No more tempting fate, although flying through that windstorm wasn’t my choice…I felt blessed not to need to make decisions like that anymore; I want to be safel6 on the ground, no more flying in prop planes. Our flight to the Dominican at Christmas? I was just about as scared as I was on that prop flight. I hid it well, but all I wanted was for us to land. Now!

Funny how we each react differently to terrifying experiences….some seek out more adventures, others just orefervieepingvtgeurcfeetvonntgecground.

Off to camp today, hoping for a less exciting visit there this weekend!

Enjoy the beautiful day!
    Skippy and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Skippy, Lynn49, GoJays and 1 others like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by danger_dan View Post

I could do this all day dan.....ha ha ha
    Skippy and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

You two are bonkers.
    GoJays, walkonby and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Body hurts you’d think by now I would realize my limitations but nope!
    Whole sub story sketchy operation from the start and catering to those with more money than brains but hey they made their money somehow! But still $250,000 US a pop…No doubt this whole operation will cost way more all for what?
    Yet I do feel for those left behind! Hug those whom you love!
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Whole sub story sketchy operation from the start and catering to those with more money than brains but hey they made their money somehow! But still $250,000 US a pop…No doubt this whole operation will cost way more all for what?
    I don't think that you need look at deepsea adventures to find sketchy operations. Many years ago, a British couple told me of their flight aboard RyanAir. They heard air whistling from the door while airborne. I guess there was a leak. The aircrew just told them to ignore it and that they were landing soon. Cheap is cheap.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

yes Skippy, the tragedy of that 19 year old following his Dad into that underwater coffin has me so irked! Luckily ( ? ) for me I had watched a series on Apple+ for almost the entire afternoon/evening, then dozed off some, only to awake near midnight when I heard the word implode on CNN.
    Before that all I had heard was a field of debris was discovered. So that's it then? No one now will ever embark on building another one of these stupid vessels?
    Fat chance of that.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

walkonby and danger_dan like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

walkonby and danger_dan like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)