User Tag List

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree1499Likes

Thread: October 2017 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The salad recipe is posted in the Lentils recipe thread (the protein part of the salad comes from lentils). I have most of the ingredients or near substitutes so I plan to make it today. May as well try to expand our squash recipe uses! I had some laundry done yesterday and today, so other tasks will get my attention this afternoon.

I did the fall pantry cleanup this week when I saw red (someone bought more of something already in multiples in the pantry) so the vacuuming, consolidating and reorganizing got done just before supper hour. I did leave a note about multiple stock with the purchased items.

Project Closet is put off another week. The current Lowes flyer features lots of BOGO deals and the paint deal is still not the one I am waiting on. I have to sand the other baseboards that I patched with wood filler. I've dated some of the newer supplies so the next person needing them knows their vintage.

Since many of you cook, check the Contest thread. Just found a contest that involves sharing Cdn recipes and there will criteria for judging. Good prize for each provincial winner! I'll be going to see the Longo's dietitian at today's health fair in Ancaster!

I keep forgetting to post fun things from the last magazine issue of First for Women so I'll jot down some things for posting next week. Tomorrow is supposed to be windy in Southern Ontario--not planning on walking for Net time in that case. (By the way, I've noticed the magazine is sold at one Rexall store I do visit but not the other location--have to remember that the next time there is an Air Miles magazine points offer or contest).

Some October coupons are expiring-the buy 2 Ziploc bags coupon (SmartSource or RedPlum?) expires Oct. 26. The Gluten-Free Barilla pasta coupon (save 50 cents), and Schneiders buy any 3 deli meats and get 1 free pkg pepperettes both end on Oct. 31.

I did treat myself to a new sewing magazine issue (Burdastyle October) and think the shirt fabrics I never sewed over summer might be enough for a top in the magazine. Have to explore the fabric needs and pattern sizing to make sure. Had to reattach a button on a top and realized I need to get more black thread (had a little more left after the handsewing was completed).

The Lego Movie DVD had trailers that just pitched Lego business (movie or resort or video game) prior to the movie. Felt the movie was more for teenagers and older viewers. Some content would not really suit young kids despite the Lego connection. My five cents.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Oct 14th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.
    barbis9 and cath007 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good evening everyone!!! Today was a reading about apples and pumpkins recepies I want to make soon and get some rest.I will do the grocery shopping list this evening or tomorrow morning.I dont need that much,maybe 15 things,Inspection is due on friday so we need to finish cleaning.We need to empty the sink and the bathroom cupboards by monday for the extermination .Wishing everyone a great evening !!!
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Needed to go to the mall today as the younger teen had few pants to wear, we got lucky last week and picked up a pair at American Eagle for 26.00. So the two pairs for 120.00 hurt today. He has an SPC card so was quick to whip that out to save 10%. Thankfully he has what he needs and while he did spy an expensive (imo) hoodie he was quick to say it would go on his Christmas list. It's the kind of thing a grandparent would be happy to buy. I happily left with nothing more than I intended to buy. @Ciel thanks gif the wind tip, I have started running again and I hate running in the wind so I will watch the weather to see when is best to run Sunday.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It was supposed to be windy here today too so DH and I got out early and biked over to SDM to get eggs and tissues on sale. Then also fit in a walk late morning before the wind kicked up this aft. Spent some time day dreaming and researching where we should retire-I would certainly prefer a place with milder winters in Canada that does not cost an arm and a leg to move to!
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@lizzie bargain I too dream of warmer climates, but at 50 with two kids in high school it shall remain a dream.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    I processed 10 lbs of carrots today I got from Freshco for a $1. I did some as a dice for soups, some as a thinker grate for soups and sauces and a finer grate for baking. All and all I got over 20 - 1/2 cup bags of carrots. I used the food processor to grate the carrots as I just did not have that much hand grating in me today. I had to laugh it has been so long since I have used the full size food processor I had to call Mom to help me get the blade in correctly.

Today was Thanksgiving with Mom, we were supposed to have Roast Beef but she was an hour and a half late putting it in the over so we ended up ordering pizza. Roast Beef will now be on tomorrow's menu.

My morning was off to a slow start as I did not want to get out of bed as well I had a few phone calls from work for various things so had to pull my laptop out to check the system.

I plan to do a lot of cooking tomorrow. I have learned the only way we can get through a week without take out is to meal prep. I take my breakfast with me to work so I need to prep that, we both need lunches, as well Mom will need a dinner to take. I also find it extremely helpful to have sides in the fridge ready to go, some rice, potatoes or pasta, I find this gives me the push I need to make dinner when I get in from work.

I plan to make another batch of cauliflower chowder to use up one of the $1 cauliflowers I got at Freshco this week. I am also thinking of making a Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup, I have been eyeing the recipe for awhile but something always seems to get in my way of making it so I think tomorrow is the day.

Off to Pinterest to get ideas for tomorrow, Have a wonderful night everyone.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well we didn't have Ashlyn sleep over as she was a bit congested -so son asked uf we may go there so he could take his wife out for a meal and dessert as a treat -yep took Ashlyn to mcdonalds to use up my free ice cream cpn she got from library this summer -got home at 8.00 p.m also did a load of laundry for my dear daughter-in-law to help out as she is getting pretty big baby is coming next month -lol
    -woke up this morning and called the gap -the items I purchased 2 days ago for girlfriends son and almost a week ago sebastians sleeper for xmas (today was an an extra 10% off )so got back $11.01 on my mastercard from the 2 spate orders -that made my day
    -ciel -good that you got to sears -I plan to get ther at some point -socks for me are what I am looking for or grandkids clothing etc
    lilo-my kids loved American eagle when they were in highschool -I remember always going in there
    -well off to see my daughter today in Toronto -she invited hubby and I for supper (chicken and mashed potatoes and peas )plus love seeing Sebastian may as well get in as many times before winter comes then we wont be travelling in bad weather ,windy day here today later on

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

So much laundry. About to put away another big bin. That's what I get for no doing laundry all week.
    We have a hockey game out of town later this evening so at least I will get all my chores done .
    Million things I want to get done but will be happy with all the laundry done and put away.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Local garage sale Facebook purchases.
    Purchase #1
    $5 for brand new winter boots for our son, tags still on.

Purchase #2
    $30 for a tote of over 100 items of clothes for our twin girl to wear now, and the next size up.

Purchase #3
    $20 for a bag of 47 items, most for twin girl and some for twin boy. This bag had 5 swim suits, so I’ll be selling 4 of them.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 4 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good evening everyone!!! Today I baked another loaf of bananas bread for my breakfest and snacks this week.Did the dishes,emptied the kitchen and bathroom cupboards and did a little bit of cleaning,Supper is chinese beef fondue with french bread and ceasar salad.Have a good evening and night everyone!!!
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well had a lovely supper at my daughter's yesterday stayed til 6.00 p.m,woke up this morning and my one eye is watering and puffy -I remember sat night lying on my son couch and Ashlyn jumped on the couch close to me -but then yesterday my daughter said her eye was sore ,so relaxing today
    -bonus daughter gave me a few items from her closet a long tank dress,blouse so that made me happy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Morning! Proud mama this morning. My baby got a hat trick at the game last night. Great group of kids this year and they all played so hard last night. Hoping we do it again tomorrow night

Put the last load of laundry in the dryer this morning! Will make sure to keep up on it now because that was crazy.

Picked up a dress for myself off the mom swap for $5 ($100 dress) Nice brand with tags still on. She bought it and didn't fit so her loss my win. (she just wanted someone else to enjoy it) I need more dressy clothes. Want to dress up for our next date night out .

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Mon, Oct 16th, 2017 at 01:40 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Fall has definitely announced its arrival (winter, anyone?). Ms. Sunshine beamed after 8am to my welcome surprise.
    Saturday-found 2 Monopoly game pieces and some cans. Had a chat with the Longos dietitian and bought some produce and salad dressing (Renee's brand was one of the sample stations; enjoyed Fiasco's dairy-free gelato too). Made the lentil recipe. Finally made the reflective tape loops and sewed on the Velcro bits. Attached loops to my jacket!

OK, the lentil recipe from Sat worked with French's mustard and regular white vinegar and no shallots. The red onion wedges tasted close to ones done on kebabs on a grill, so that was fun. Ate two servings then had a third helping after 9pm. My hint that I'm not eating enough protein at meals, so yesterday I came up with the realization I need to plan $10 in protein buys per week (meat or quinoa/lentils) and figure out how to get most of my protein in breakfast and lunch as I am aware most of my calories seem to come along after 2pm until late. I was looking at Winners' selection of wild rice and quinoa packages (noticed the various package sizes go from about 350g to just over 400g but there is a variety of types if I want to spend $5.99 per pkg.).

Sunday-late am, $1.50 in containers found and two more Monopoly pieces (one for the high value HBC prize gift card I'm chasing). Bought pop at Shoppers. Did a second walk for oven mitts-found a pair that is more fitted than current burnt ones (one finger found the hole while I was removing the lentil dish from the oven on Sat. night)-just a few drops of rain. Third time-Mother Nature won the round; I got soaked from the back when the heavy rain came down. At least I found two more containers before calling it quits with the outdoors.

This morning-brain was happily wired most of early morning due to pop consumption so two early loads of laundry were done between 6:30-7:30am. Had breakfast. Decided the cauliflower had to get roasted with apple wedges and celery and my fave spice, mild curry! Something is ready for lunch and the oven heat warmed up the kitchen. We had some branches fall and chunks from a neighbour's tree. I heard chainsaws on my walk to the plazas as some trees along the main street took to splitting yesterday. I plan to alter my new mitts to have diagonal openings (the hypotenuse is the longest side of a triangle...) as the current openings are snug (one of three obvious issues). I did trace out the old mitts' outline and could see a prospect of shortening and snugging in the hand/thumb parts (sewing a new seamline) keep the well-padded mitts in use minus the burnt parts but Mom said don't touch my mitts (she originally said I could pitch them when I got new mitts but that no longer applies).

Am sorry for the Ontario college students experiencing no classes today due to the faculty strike. I am guessing this is the full-time faculty, as the part-time faculty did vote on a new agreement near the end of August/early Sept. Contract positions are a sticking point for the union. I remember a strike happening just three weeks after a fall start and it lasted a week but our semesters were 15 weeks long then (two semesters per year). Semesters are 13 weeks now and there are three semesters per year at schools).
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:15 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

With it being about three weeks before clocks return to Standard Time, I'm keen to finish fall cleaning tasks this week. Two light fixtures got wiped as many little winged things in our recent summer extension found their end in the fixtures. Have two more fixtures to check plus run a cloth in ceiling corners to remove any webs. Still have table polishing and vacuuming behind the two big seating furniture to do.

Did a little list of what I'd like to purchase soon and need about $100 for upcoming needs plus a birthday event (bought the gift bag). Pants are a priority and new socks-glad I know of about three other places beyond Sears where I can find socks that fit.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Good evening everyone!!! Today I baked another loaf of bananas bread for my breakfest and snacks this week.Did the dishes,emptied the kitchen and bathroom cupboards and did a little bit of cleaning,Supper is chinese beef fondue with french bread and ceasar salad.Have a good evening and night everyone!!!
    Sounds like a dinner for a cold night! Hope you and your father enjoyed the meal!

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information