User Tag List

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree1900Likes

Thread: July 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (2nd half of 2018 and summer!)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@barbis9 Is it possible that Ontario strawberries might be used in the frozen berry mixes sold by Sobey's? It seemed to me that just about every frozen berry blend there contains strawberries. I'll admit that I have not yet had Ontario strawberries in season for a few years but the Ancaster Farmers Market does have a berry vendor-Jerry's Berries. Might the vendor frequent the Burlington Farmers Market?
    BTW, yes, Mom did go to the Home Outfitters sale on Saturday for a new pillow and a sheet set (she also redeemed her $20 in HBC rewards in the process). She laundered the pillow (but has not yet given up the old one(s)) but not the sheet set. I managed to find a really old sheet set from the old bed in the linen closet and made sure the set got into the garbage can.

Last night, I had an opportunity to vacuum the back and part of the floor under the fridge. As I could not unload the fridge contents so the fridge could be pulled forward, I was able to swivel the fridge to one side in two moves, vacuum, then swivel it back in place, then to swivel it in the opposite direction. Think I have about 2/3 of the dust captured and made up for not doing the spring vacuuming in May! If there was a way to capture the heat blowing out from the lower front fridge grille during our last two heatwaves, I'd be set for early morning warm floors (my bare feet took notice of the hot air coming from the fridge and liked it very much) in fall or winter!

Other cleaning news-I've been stealthily checking and tossing out old socks, sponges and other small things in a small room next to the laundry area. Too much dusty clutter ignored and heaped on floor/storage containers and on top of paper products. No need to keep multiple old socks with holes or mega-pilling on them downstairs where the air quality is musty!

The community paper with flyers was delivered last night, so I jotted down specials to note from area stores.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Jul 19th, 2018 at 11:30 AM.
    barbis9 and coupon girl like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greentires4me View Post
    I’m so sick it started Saturday and been in bed for 2 days. It’s hot hot outside we’re having a heatwave I don’t enjoy it. Every time I open my door it’s like I am opening an oven to the hallway of my apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you have a cooling centre near you for a change of scenery if you wanted to take an early morning walk before the full heat sets in for the day? Or a library or retail mall? Maybe a park with mature trees, benches and a splash pad?
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Do you have a cooling centre near you for a change of scenery if you wanted to take an early morning walk before the full heat sets in for the day? Or a library or retail mall? Maybe a park with mature trees, benches and a splash pad?
    I have an AC unit...the park across the street has tiny little trees that provide no relief. The nearest water park is either down 232st or Hammond or in Pitt meadows off Harris road. I live right in the downtown core off 222nd street. I don’t exactly drive so getting to all those locations means taking several busses. I think I was up at 7am one day and it was 25C already outside. But I am physically sick with a cold I gather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @barbis9 Is it possible that Ontario strawberries might be used in the frozen berry mixes sold by Sobey's? It seemed to me that just about every frozen berry blend there contains strawberries. I'll admit that I have not yet had Ontario strawberries in season for a few years but the Ancaster Farmers Market does have a berry vendor-Jerry's Berries. Might the vendor frequent the Burlington Farmers Market?
    BTW, yes, Mom did go to the Home Outfitters sale on Saturday for a new pillow and a sheet set (she also redeemed her $20 in HBC rewards in the process). She laundered the pillow (but has not yet given up the old one(s)) but not the sheet set. I managed to find a really old sheet set from the old bed in the linen closet and made sure the set got into the garbage can.

Last night, I had an opportunity to vacuum the back and part of the floor under the fridge. As I could not unload the fridge contents so the fridge could be pulled forward, I was able to swivel the fridge to one side in two moves, vacuum, then swivel it back in place, then to swivel it in the opposite direction. Think I have about 2/3 of the dust captured and made up for not doing the spring vacuuming in May! If there was a way to capture the heat blowing out from the lower front fridge grille during our last two heatwaves, I'd be set for early morning warm floors (my bare feet took notice of the hot air coming from the fridge and liked it very much) in fall or winter!

Other cleaning news-I've been stealthily checking and tossing out old socks, sponges and other small things in a small room next to the laundry area. Too much dusty clutter ignored and heaped on floor/storage containers and on top of paper products. No need to keep multiple old socks with holes or mega-pilling on them downstairs where the air quality is musty!

The community paper with flyers was delivered last night, so I jotted down specials to note from area stores.
    I have a bag of odd socks and go thru it on a regular basis. Then after awhile the ones with no match get put under the main bathroom sink to be used at rags Great for cleaning the bedroom fans.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

came back from my appt -everything is great and I see him in jan -twice a year as I am a candidate for glaucoma (dad had it)

went to shoppers seniors day only spent 37.12 -2.00 caddle for my venus razors =36.12
    love getting my bananas there as they are green(they ripen so fast in summer) for 3 pounds paid 1.90 after seniors
    got my milk and chocolate milk and 3%milk as my daughter is coming in sat -her hubby is visiting friends -she will sleep over with Sebastian -love seeing them

went to take my older brother's wife to doctors -but she cancelled as she didn't feel up to it ?
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Went to No Frills and then Walmart since I didn't want to go back to work early lol. Grabbed a watermelon $2.97 (received 500 pc pts) (perfect for the beach on Sat!)Romaine lettuce .88 cents and my dog her grain free dog treats that I couldn't find my last 2 visits to Walmart! They moved them!!! Thank the lord!
    Now I can go straight home after work and get cooking and cleaning
    Ciel likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

just cashed out for 21.50 checkout51

-may treat hubby to fortinos pizza tonight in their hot foods section -use some of my p.c points -as I don't feel like cooking lying in bed with heat pad on my aching legs -lol

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    We did our grocery shopping on Tuesday and went to Costco, Mom wanted to wait until the weekend but pretty sure it wouldn't happen. The main road in town is closed this weekend which means taking the long way out of town and I knew it would become a reason not to go. We did not buy anything at Costco we didn't need but I think we need to stop letting the list get so big as I always have the gasp moment at check out. We got:
    Quinoa (I need more options for side dishes)
    Bacon Bits (We use these quite often in Salad)
    Cheese Slices (Love the natural Cheese Slices and now that they have Kirkland they are thicker and medium instead of mild)
    Allergy Pills (A true need in our house this time of year)
    Cold & Sinus (I saw we were down to only few left so figured we better grab as always have these on hand)
    Cranberry Pills (I like this keep these on hand as when I need them I never want to go out for them)
    Stress Mat (Needed in our kitchen as the tiles kill your back when you stand for long periods of time, old one has become flat)
    Sausages (there is a brand they sell Mom likes and they are great for a quick dinner)

Then we went to the Chinese Market, didn't need a lot but got:
    Zucchini $0.88/lb
    Cucumbers 2/$1
    Mushrooms 2/$2.50 (not the best price)
    Basil $1.50
    Pasata $0.88

Then last night I ran into No Frills:
    Potatoes 10lb Bag $3.99 (PM Zehrs) plus 200 pts/$
    Raisin Bread $3.74 - 50%
    Banana 100 pts/$
    Strawberries $1.50 (PM Freshco)

Also found out I have to work this weekend, kind of sucks, bossed called me Tuesday and told me. I did speak with my Boss and will be taking the Friday before the long weekend off so I have a 4 day weekend.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

had a cheap date night with hubby -we went out for supper to fortinos he got 6 wings and fries combo with chocolate milk ,I got chicken breast /fries combo with chocolate milk came to 21.80-10.00 fortinos giftcard given to hubby from a school kid end of year-10.00 p.c points =1.80 and boy was it yummy

then grabbed a few sale items I had points for at fortinos came to 27.39-20.00 in points and I paid 7.39 for chicken breasts ,lettuce 4 fresh Ontario corn ,Ontario blueberries and a loaf of bread -love when I get the chicken offer and they are on sale have waited for this for awhile
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I managed to recall that Fortino's has PC Frozen Fruit on sale for $3.99 so I got one bag of wild blueberries (you all read about how this year's crop in the East Coast has been really impacted by weather?) with a few other things to get through the weekend.

Evening walk to Terryberry Library-the summer issue of Ricardo was taken out before I got here (at 5pm it was still in the branch according to the catalogue computer) but I found a McDonald's gift card on the way ($2.10 left so one pop purchase down at Walmart and remainder will be applied towards another drink on the weekend), a dime, a Pepsi cup with a Stuff code and that's about it. I popped into Metro-not all Selection bags are on sale-the recycling bags are on sale but the kitchen bags are not on sale. I had loaded my coupon offers and one is for Selection (too bad it does not work at Food Basics which also has some Selection products on sale) plus I have a 5 bonus AM wus $5 or more at the store offer. Maybe I can use it next week.
    Have found 3 magazine titles to take out and enjoy at home so the trip had some perks after all (new issue of Threads!).

On the weekend, I purchased the August issue of Canadian Living (tiny issue but some good summer content) mainly because the bagged issue has a red rubber easy can opener (well, lids) gadget. Something we can use at home as Mom does not always have someone around to open a tough lid for her and sometimes my own right hand balks at any fine hand motor control.

I'm still not winning a gift card on my Poker Lotto spins online each day that I trade entries for a spin. I want a reason to shop at Indigo because there's a book I'd like to own!

Today's Ms Sunshine has been beaming rather hotly. It's like she's gearing up for the hotter/more humid content soon! Not looking forward to the next sweatathon.
    barbis9 and coupon girl like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    just cashed out for 21.50 checkout51
    Good job. I just cashed out $24.55 from Checkout 51. I’m waiting for my receipt to be approved on the Caddle app, then I’ll request a cheque from that app too.

We’re enjoying the fresh garden produce. Currently being harvested or available when we want from the garden...dill, multiplyer onions, chives, zucchini, baby red potatoes, baby carrots (thinning out various rows), yellow string beans, peas, leaf lettuce, and Swiss chard. We aren’t buying too much for fresh veggies right now. Bought cucumbers and broccoli crowns recently.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

morning everyone -well the back of my calves still pain and its hard walking ,so I am elevating ,ice for 20 min every 4 hours and trying to stay off my feet ,so we will not be frugal next time it comes to the driveway and pay someone to coat it

I may even wrap them ,I have one wrap gotta look for another
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

A summer hello to old and new friends. Off with my three girls (ages 7, 6, and almost 3!) I will be going back to work fulltime teaching in September. I am trying to make the most of lazy summer days with my sweeties!

In financial news...you may remember we were caught in a phishing scam with Capital One and iTunes Apple account and neither would cover. Well, it is paid off. Not a satisfying payment but a freeing one! We also successfully saved and paid for some window replacements (prior to the rebate offers unfortunately), having the siding redone on our house and for an arborist in to remove an ash tree and prune the rest of the trees on the property. From the scam to trees was about $15,000 all paid in full. I am feeling quite proud.

We need to replace our roof and since we live in a bungalow, we have almost 4000 sq of roof to replace. This will be done in August. I am not keen on debt (outside of mortgage - and even that!), but we have weighed the options and discussed with our financial planner. She advised me to look at it as an investment in the home. A year ago, I was frustrated with finances because the math was not adding up and money was missing (scam). Today, I look how far we have come and am confident with our plan to tackle the roof (line of credit and pay off ASAP).

I too am growing veggies. I have graduated from planters to a box. Since I start seeds outside in May our harvest won't start for a few weeks. I can see some mini-tomatoes starting to bud and the lettuce is starting to look good too!

Hope you are enjoying the sun and staying cool all at the same time.
    Last edited by Granger; Fri, Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:04 AM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF!!!!! Can't wait to get out and enjoy the weekend. Going for a patio lunch with a co-worker to get a start on it

Tonight- Puttering around the yard in the sunshine. DS totally cleaned up his tv room after I went to bed last night. So proud of him. It is spotless!!! Hopefully he does his bedroom today
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    One goal I have set for myself is to use my Instant Pot more, I hear many people online rave about them but I never really committed to using it like I should especially after it was moved to the basement. Now that it is back upstairs my goal is to use it 2 to 3 times a week. One thing I love about it, is that I can set it and just let it go. I like to shower right when I come in from work as I will admit once I sit down I lose my ambition. So I love that I can dump everything in the Instant Pot set it and go shower without worry about something on the stove. So far this week I have made:
    Beef Stir Fry
    Rice
    Stuffed 3 Cheese Pasta with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce

So far everything has worked out although I think I should have cooked the pasta a minute or 2 longer, it was better as leftovers after the pasta absorbed more of the sauce.

I wasn't sure when I cooked the pasta if it pressurized correctly, seemed weird when I went to do a pressure release there was no pressure left after only 10 minutes of sitting. So yesterday I looked up how to test the Instant Pot, I did the test last night and everything was good. Now I need to come up with ideas for next week.

Hope everyone has a great day
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information