User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1063Likes

Thread: August 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (summer fun and finds)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Doing the early-bird thing and creating the August discussion thread in late July while I remember to do so! Please pass the slush cone treats!

The Canadian National Exhibition and Pacific National Exhibition both will open this month. The Civic Holiday is on August 6 and many stores and malls are likely to have different hours for the day. Tennis fans have the Rogers Cup action to enjoy too.

Let the July fast food and grocery offers/coupons slip into the blue box before you dive into August activities. Oh, those free A&W Root Beer coupons expire on August 5 (the free drinks on their own or free drink when you order one of two food items with the drink).
    This thread is currently associated with: A&W, Rogers (Plus)
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Ah! It’s nearly August already. It’s hard to believe that our son will be starting Grade 1 in September and our twins will be 3yrs old.
    barbis9, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Value Village has a 50% off summer clearance clothing sale (selected categories) on August 1 & 2. I also got a second e-mail for a $10 off coupon wub $35 of clothing (but it's not valid on sale days) that expires on August 4. Short of finding big bills on the ground, I won't be spending $35 this week (but did spot a cardigan I'd like for under $10 when I visited the store July 29).

Drummondville, QC has a festival celebrating poutine this month. August 23-25, are you ready?
    barbis9, coupon girl and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Talize will have a 50% off all tops (excluding new merchandise) on Monday August 6!
    barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Good morning. When we got up this morning it didn’t take long for our son to ask to change the calendar on our kitchen wall, then twins girl wanted a turn. Twin boy has been running a fever off and on since Sunday evening. We have been giving him Tylenol and keeping an eye on him. He seems to be best in the morning. Usually without a fever, happy and playing. He has gotten up at 4am the last 3 nights.
    Last edited by Angela273; Wed, Aug 1st, 2018 at 11:21 AM.
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Hump Day!

Went home at lunch and made a toasted western. Made DS lunch too. Then back to work, had to stop at SDM and grab milk. Meant to on my way home! I had stopped at GT on way home and grabbed a few things. Keeping groceries low and trying to use up stuff.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I started scraping our large back deck today. My arms already hurt. I’m sure I’ll be sore. I figure if I can work on scraping it in sections then it won’t be so bad to tackle the job. Re-staining the deck will definitely be a weekend job. I wanted to get it done last summer, but my emergency appendectomy changed a lot of plans last summer.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Angela273 -what a wonderful birthday meal and gifts you had for your new 3 year-olds!
    See if doing a few stretches before and after each section helps to offset some pain during your deck scraping. Treat yourself with something fun after each round!

I'll admit to spending a quarter this week at a candy machine at Food Basics just to have a handful of fruit candy in the afternoon. I used to love getting gum or little toys as a kid/teen, but I lean more towards jelly beans and candies as an adult.

The discussion about the cost of shingles vaccine at the end of the July frugal chatter thread: my, $300 is not pocket change. Definitely see if the local public health unit or pharmacies offer any discounts or fall programs on the vaccines for seniors. Adults under senior age might have to see if health benefits at work offers any coverage, else they have to pay out of pocket. If I remember for one shingles vaccine, it has to be taken over two visits.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

ceil -my hubby has a good health benefit program and it does not cover shingles -we have to pay out of pocket as I called already to inquire

popped out for a few items cheap sugar at Canadian tire I think I paid 1.79 got 2

made zucchini chocolate chip muffins today -yummmm

popped into staples's 20+4 fine thin washable markers are on for 1.96 and I had a 1.50 cpn from ages ago -no expiry so I paid .46 for one pkg for Ashlyn but then got 2 other pkgs one for my house and one for Sebastian at xmas maybe ,also got glue for myself 1.00 for my dog eared puzzles sometimes I have to glue them

supper tonight p.c macaroni microwave for me kraft dinner for hubby
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I don't know if the Ontario government has kept or changed this program for the shingles vaccine as it has a very narrow age range for seniors who qualify: https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-free-shingles-vaccine

A doctor weighed in on why to get the vaccine: https://www.thestar.com/life/2018/01...ors-notes.html

This article mentions that the Ontario program provides Zostavax, not Shingrix: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle37470885/
    barbis9 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have been away for a few days so time to hit the grocery store as the fridge looks pretty empty. Also have a physio apt this a.m. I took my 86 year old Mum and my 78 year old aunt up to Alaska to the bear viewing platform and we all had a great time. When you get out in nature for a few days you start to realize how much time we normally spend indooors. As we drove home through Banff they changed the forest fire warning sign from low risk to extreme-it was smoky as there was a fire burning close by. I think the weather will be cooling off a bit now-thankfully. We are expecting DD back in 2 weeks-she is enjoying working in Ontario.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Last night I went to a free program at the public library. We learned how to make raspberry hand pies. Then I headed over to No Frills. I split my purchases into two transactions because I wanted to avoid them rejecting any of my coupons. I’ll post some other details in the best deal thread.
    2x $1 French’s 375ml ketchup - 50c coupons
    12x $1 Crest toothpaste - $1 coupons + 4,800pts personal points offers (had to send in missing points inquiry) - all going to the local foodbank
    6x $1 yogurt - $3 wub $6 Quaker oatmeal
    $1.97 celery + 150pts personal offer

I sold $5 in yellow string beans. A lady had a 5 piece set of Mary Kay timewise products up for sale. I bought all of them for $40. I am nearly out of my Mary Kay face timewise wash that I won a while ago.

In the mail I received my $25CT gc from redeeming credit card points, $24.55 CO51 cheque, credit card bill that I already overpaid.

A potential daycare family is coming late this afternoon. I know the mom and dad from around town. They want apart-time Daycare contract for their son.

A lady is coming either today or tomorrow. She is trading me a jar of home made strawberry/rhubarb jam for dill from my garden. I call it a forest of dill. There is too much dill in the garden and it is stunting my pea harvest. The extra dill flowers are great for the bees, etc.
    Last edited by Angela273; Thu, Aug 2nd, 2018 at 02:50 PM.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Argh!!! My new VISA came in the mail earlier this week. I had a glance through the benefits guide. It includes free roadside assistance with door unlocking service. I could have saved $180 if I had this card with me last month. The song "Ironic" is playing in my head right now.... Unbelievable!

I should log into the CC accounts to pay off my dental appointments from these past few weeks. It should be several hundred dollars by now. I think property tax will be coming next month.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Oy, it's going to be a hot one today with 35 humidex, ick!

Not much on the shopping list for the weekend, so that is a good thing.

Hope you all have a Fab day!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hi All. Going to be hot here today as well. A/C still on at home. Dog does not do well in this heat. Good thing she was groomed not long ago since she seems to feel better now.

Went for a walk last night and it was warm at 1st then cooled off. Will see how it is tonight once the sun goes down.
    Angela273, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information