User Tag List

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Like Tree1321Likes

Thread: February 2020-Frugal Chatter

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Off to Toronto today to celebrate my son's birthday at my daughter's (she is cooking a chicken with mashed potatoes and corn plus she is making brownies for dessert )

My son-in-law asked if we could bring his dad for the day also,no problem .Who wants to drive there them selves ,already told my son and he said that great .

The weather looks fine even thou its chilly -9 with the wind maybe a bit more .
    Giseledta, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yesterday was a stay indoors day (did not even shovel because I usually do) and watch DVDs day. One side of the roof cleared in the late afternoon and fortunately little of the slushy snow landed on the front walk.

Today I put my last 1-1/2 bottles of Dr Pepper into the stovetop Dutch oven with diced tomatoes, contents of 2 packets of Taco Bell hot sauce (did not have mild ones) and 3 packets of Heinz ketchup, black pepper and salt plus 1 tbsp of all purpose flour (no cornstarch on hand). Well after about an hour on the stove, the liquid reduced by 1 inch below the initial liquid watermark but I think I need to get the meatballs cooked (and purchased first), then add them into the pot to absorb some liquid and cook down the rest of the sauce. At least this is an interesting sauce to try for Feb. 29!
    Saw a 100 year old man on tv yesterday celebrating his 25th birthday as he was born on Feb. 29 (he still drives and volunteers too). Quite a story!

I checked pantry supplies and happened to see someone left a thawed packet of mixed berries (last seen in the freezer a few days ago) on top of the plastic wrap boxes. I had words with sibling who claimed to have forgotten them while reaching for something else in the cupboard...yikes. Have a grocery list and cash with me to pick up some groceries, cook down the meatball sauce and potentially take bus out to The Bay to snap up a $16 pillow (reg. $40) as my two year old ObusForme pillow from Sears is not providing much support anymore.
    Giseledta and coupon girl like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did anyone else notice the absence of Senior's Day from the The Bay's fashion flyer for next Tuesday? It's not on the cover nor inside on any page. I just visited the Flyers page on the forum to see if there were any other flyers posted for the same week.

Shoppers Friends and Family Day scoop-20% off (almost all regular priced merchandise) event on Tuesday March 3 with coupon. One of my friends was given three coupons by a cashier and I got one of the offers. BTW, the current flyer happens to state up to 20% off on Energizer specialty batteries-so if you have a flashing wrist/ankleband, watch or other gadget needing cell or button batteries, this is your rally call to stock up this week.
    Giseledta likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Saw the Spring/Summer 55+ Program Guide for the City of Hamilton and saw these senior's discount ads:

1)Every Tuesday, Seniors (60+) get 20% off interior, exterior car wash services at Mohawk Express Carwash (802 Upper Gage Ave.). It's listed on p. 53 of the guide.
    2) The Club at Shalom Village (weekdays for 65+ yr olds)-mention this ad and we'll waive your assessment fee ($25 value). Listed on p.131 (inside back cover). Plus there's an adjoining ad for Shalom Village assisted living apartments-mention this ad and ask about our new resident incentives.
    3) Plus the City offers a 20% off pre-tax discount on most programs for 55+ year olds.

Sackville Hill Seniors Centre will offer a sewing basics course this spring.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Feb 29th, 2020 at 11:53 AM.
    Giseledta likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

ok. i am exhusted .
    got my mom her bird seed, and her decaf . dropped off at her place.
    dropped off books and paperwork at my brothers.

then donation items... and popped into value viallage... got a basket for my dogs toys in the family room, ( wicker ... ) a green shirt for st paddys day, and a mini muffin maker to make muffins for the dc kids.

then costco... ( mad house..... ) .50 in caddle
    walmart- gift for dc child... looked for hand sanitzer...
    lush
    davids tea - used gc recieved from dc parent.. and 20 % off coupon, as well as picked up a sample of blood orange tea.( free)
    fixed phone screen .

then mcd for lunch with hubby..
    no frills... - no hand sanitizer.... 4.00 in coupons, 17 700 in points.
    and finally
    sdm - found hand sanitizer - 23 375 in points 2.50 in caddle

get all that. no .. that is not normal. yes it was needed. and no i dont like shopping that much.

home. i am done peopleing... groceries are put away.
    caddle is uploaded.
    i need to write it all down. and adjust next weeks budget a bit. i might adjust week 3, and do next week a s a meat stock up.. depends on what is on sale.... lol.

home. and not moving from here. supper will be light... and maybe a bit of nexflix time....
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

$513.58 - February total savings

Coupons Redeemed
    $160.39

10% off Tuesday at Sobeys
    $13.15

Amazon.ca - earned through Swagbucks
    $70

Amazon.ca earned by Dh through Swagbucks
    $20

PCO - No Frills
    $90

Air Miles
    $120

Mr. Mikes Bucks
    $9.94

Gift Cards
    $20 Mr. Mikes promotional gc
    $10gc to NF - Royale promo

Found Money
    $0.10
    Last edited by Angela273; Sat, Feb 29th, 2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Just finished Feb budget. We were -$50. Not bad considering everything is paid for in cash with the exception of the furnace which is on the LOC. The -$50 will be absorbed with March which is currently at +$35 (including the absorption). We will have a pay back plan for the furnace once we do income tax and the teacher strikes (hopefully) end.

It has been great working a full week with the kids. They (and teachers) like and benefit from the routine. Looking forward to next week too. We have a PA day on Friday which means I get a full day to work in my classroom because of job action. It will be sooooo nice. This has never happened before. I'm looking forward to having time to catch up on my paperwork and tidy the classroom.
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

It’s been a long and busy week. I taught 4 days out of town this week.

Today we had all of our children try on shoes and rubber boots. I brought in the bibs from the shed to try on what we have. Twin girl needed rubber boots and runners. Ds needed runners. We were able to buy them for $15/pair at WM.

I have a daycare interview with a new potential daycare family tomorrow afternoon.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sat, Feb 29th, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sorry for the delay everyone, it has been a week (will post about this later). Below is Apple Sauce Muffin recipe.

• 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
    • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
    • 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 tablespoon baking soda

• Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with muffins liners and set aside.
    • In a large bowl combine the applesauce, both sugars, spices, and salt (mixture should be completely smooth).
    • Beat in the oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
    • Add the flour, sprinkle in the baking soda and mix until incorporated. Do not over mix.

• Scoop the batter into the muffin pan filling the cups to the top.
    • Bake for 20 – 21 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
    • Cool in pan 5 minutes then remove.
    Ciel, coupon girl and GoodBoy like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    We went shopping Tuesday night after work and spent way more than I had hoped, I was aiming for $50 but spent over $100. At first I was actually feeling okay about what we spent because everything we bought is stuff we needed. But those feelings did not last long as things happened and now I have been okay, but well things got very insane (more about this later).

When we went shopping we got:
    2 x Flour 1- kg $8.77 (this was one of my must haves this week)
    4 x Sugar $1 (I already bought 4 but figure for a $1 might as well grab 4 more)
    4 x Tortilla Chip $2 + points
    8 x Chicken Broth $1.88 + points
    8 x Beef Broth $1.88 + points
    1 x Peanut Butter $3.88
    4 x Butter $2.97
    1 x Milk
    4 x Potatoes 10 lbs $1.98 (this was my other must have)
    1 x Carrots 5 lbs $1.98
    1 x Onion 10 lbs $2.98 (Normally I only buy when $1.99 but we needed them)
    1 x Pineapple $1.44

In total I spent $95, over my expected $50 and I got 9400 points

We also ended up at the Chinese Market, I had not planned on going to the Chinese Market but Mom really wanted to go so we did and I spent another $24, we got:
    Egg Roll Wrappers
    2 x Strawberries
    6 x Baby Eggplant (these are Mom's I am not a huge fan of Eggplant)
    2 x Lemons 3 lbs (really only needed one but it was 2 for $5 or $2.99 each)
    1 x Napa
    3 x Garlic 3-pack
    3 x Pepper
    1 x Snow Peas $2 clearance
    1 x Cremini Mushroom $2 Clearance (These are for Mom as well)

I still need to go over the budget and see where we fall in the budget, I know we have the $$$ in the budget but I certainly did not come in under budget. I was also hoping to not go shopping this week now but that may not happen. I found a few things we may need to get like cheese.

I am a bit torn, I really want to get a surplus in the budget so we can do our Costco shopping and I know some have mentioned going without, if you do not have it, you work around it. But I am finding it tricky since we are also cutting out Take-Out, Mom has been pretty good only the odd comment here and there about going without. But I know there are certain things that running out of would not go over well.

Maybe just maybe when I look at the flyers there won't be much we need. I will have a better idea once I do the budget a little later.
    Giseledta and Ciel like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

Last night I did my taxes and getting back my little check of $75 dollars back. Or direct deposit. Turbo tax free and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    Ok, well this week went a little insane for me.

Originally after we went grocery shopping, I had spent more than I had planned but was happy. That did not last long, as Mom checked her schedule for next week and they have cut back her hours next week. Honestly, I took this as a sign that even though we have a grocery budget, I should not be spending that money.

Things continued to spin a bit, Mom has missed 3 shifts this week. Thursday I went out to clean the cars off and I was having issues getting Mom's car to start. I got it started but I turned it off as she was not ready to leave yet. Then we had issues getting ti re started. She called her mechanic and he gave her a couple things to try and we thought all was good.

Friday again I cleaned off the cars, Mom car started so off she went. Only got half way to work before she had to turn around as she could not go over 60 without the car shaking. So she turned around and went to her mechanic, they got a start error and think they have it fixed. Good news is the fix was not as bad as I thought $$$ wise but still money she did not have.

Then because she missed 2 shifts, they gave her shift for today to someone else. So now she has missed 3 shifts this week and has less hours next week. Yes, totally seeing this as I sign I should not be spending money as I am pretty positive we are going to come up short. Good news is I wasn't feeling it Tuesday so I did not buy shoes.

I have been working pretty much 24/7 right now. I have so much on my plate right now and I was trying to get a jump start on getting things done but it feels like I am spinning in circles. Almost all of my initiatives for this year are big and no something I can just get done but now they need this part here and that part there and I just feel like I am getting no where. So I have been working 24/7 to try to get on top of things.

Friday night I just could not do it anymore so I stopped around 5 and did some crocheting. Today I decided again no work so I have been trying to get some stuff done around the house. I did not get as much as I had hoped but that is life. I really need to get back on my game when it comes to cleaning the house, I have been letting it slip lately. My February to do list is not good, I did not complete much so now I need to step my game up.

Alright well going to finish my cup of tea, and maybe tackle a couple more things before bed.

Have a wonderful night everyone.
    Giseledta and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

i think you are doing great with your groceries!!!
    i am cutting takeout as well.. we did mcd today , as we were insane with all our running around.. both of us regreated it after.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good Evening Everyone,
    We went shopping Tuesday night after work and spent way more than I had hoped, I was aiming for $50 but spent over $100. At first I was actually feeling okay about what we spent because everything we bought is stuff we needed. But those feelings did not last long as things happened and now I have been okay, but well things got very insane (more about this later).

When we went shopping we got:
    2 x Flour 1- kg $8.77 (this was one of my must haves this week)
    4 x Sugar $1 (I already bought 4 but figure for a $1 might as well grab 4 more)
    4 x Tortilla Chip $2 + points
    8 x Chicken Broth $1.88 + points
    8 x Beef Broth $1.88 + points
    1 x Peanut Butter $3.88
    4 x Butter $2.97
    1 x Milk
    4 x Potatoes 10 lbs $1.98 (this was my other must have)
    1 x Carrots 5 lbs $1.98
    1 x Onion 10 lbs $2.98 (Normally I only buy when $1.99 but we needed them)
    1 x Pineapple $1.44

In total I spent $95, over my expected $50 and I got 9400 points

We also ended up at the Chinese Market, I had not planned on going to the Chinese Market but Mom really wanted to go so we did and I spent another $24, we got:
    Egg Roll Wrappers
    2 x Strawberries
    6 x Baby Eggplant (these are Mom's I am not a huge fan of Eggplant)
    2 x Lemons 3 lbs (really only needed one but it was 2 for $5 or $2.99 each)
    1 x Napa
    3 x Garlic 3-pack
    3 x Pepper
    1 x Snow Peas $2 clearance
    1 x Cremini Mushroom $2 Clearance (These are for Mom as well)

I still need to go over the budget and see where we fall in the budget, I know we have the $$$ in the budget but I certainly did not come in under budget. I was also hoping to not go shopping this week now but that may not happen. I found a few things we may need to get like cheese.

I am a bit torn, I really want to get a surplus in the budget so we can do our Costco shopping and I know some have mentioned going without, if you do not have it, you work around it. But I am finding it tricky since we are also cutting out Take-Out, Mom has been pretty good only the odd comment here and there about going without. But I know there are certain things that running out of would not go over well.

Maybe just maybe when I look at the flyers there won't be much we need. I will have a better idea once I do the budget a little later.
    Ciel, SassyAshley and GoodBoy like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hi all!
    Went to SDM in another town.Watermelon Lip balm for niece for her birthday bag in June. On for $1.49 reg $5.99 Found Quaker oatmeal and Life cereal for .50 a box. Kelloggs frosted flakes for .99 a box. I stopped buying cereal for awhile but DS has been asking for it so stocked him up ( he has lost of sleepovers they like to eat cereal lol) He has 4 friends over now. Glad they are home safe and not out partying like some of the kids their age. I went to GT and found a package of 4 pk of Hanes granny panties for $5 lol glad i resisted the urge to buy the 3 pk for more last week.
    Yesterday was payday. I will have to clean up the budget when i get to work on Monday. Really just have to make payment on credit card for the past week so it is paid off. Had a windfall today so paid cash to fill up the vehicle and will put the rest to good use.
    After I drop DS off at work in the morning I will prep my roast for the oven and peel potatoes amd boil them, make gravy and steam veggies. Make up a tupperware container of dinner i will heat up before i pick up DS at work and he can eat on way to out of town hockey game. I will start laundry in the morning too.
    I will boil eggs and package my raw almomds into snack size portions. Add a vanilla yogurt and that is my afternoon snack all week at work.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Sun, Mar 1st, 2020 at 08:12 AM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

evening home now -wow supper at my daughter,s was so nice .Cara had a screaming fit as she didn't nap at all today and just was so tired ,Ashlyn and Sebastian were not sharing (mostly Sebastian as he is 3).Kinda glad we were coming home with son-in-laws dad ,mind you we hit bad traffic (a game was getting out ) and some police car on the road home from Toronto took us 1 hour and almost 45 minutes -uggg ,relaxing a bit tired as I was up early.
    Thanks sassy for the muffin recipe will try it soon

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread Information