User Tag List

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
Like Tree3297Likes

Thread: July 2022 Frugal Chatter: All about fresh products and gardening!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Rain report from here:
    3min downpour just after 7:30pm last night. Just sudden on and off!
    Light rain around 7:45am today for a bit (I was heading outside for community paper and felt a drop fall down)
    Sky was looking like rain on and off all morning and into early afternoon, sky went gray and wind reallypickedup
    Think there was an afternoon rain while I dozed because I heard something briefly when I woke up

Air in house today was not moving too much until later in afternoon. Outside, it was more comfortable and super ideal for drying laundry. Still have not hiked out to a store to spend my last $5 on hand. Giant Tiger is showing a sale on Pure Leaf Iced tea for 3.17 and cukes for 88cents (though nearby Longos has 3 cukes for $5-have to decide).

A Walmart watermelon sibling bought two days for Mom-it turned mushy really fast but it was juicy *flavour was hit and miss* and Ihelped to eat most of it.

Grocery prices-meat is not a regular thing for my meals. Usually it shows up on pizza takeout (Sibling is still ordering one or two per week, down from 3+) or the odd chicken takeout he brings home from KFC or Mary's Burgers.
    I have noticed the price of feminine hygiene supplies is going up and that some stores (Shoppers, Fortinos, Walmart) only carry one of two size packages, not both sizes (liners or pads). Saw in upcoming SDM flyer that 80-129 ct of U by Kotex liners are 8.99! (I last spent $7.99 on a 129 ct pkg in Shoppers earlier this year, but more recently I had to settle for a 64 ct pkg at $5 and something as I ran out). Same issues with brands-not all grocery stores carry the same ones. Stayfree is hard to find in smaller packages but Walmart carries the larger packages.
    ONtario cherries cost a lot but the flavour is worth the one lb price. I don't if Mom's cherries bought tonight are local-will check tomorrow.

Our household tends to run out of certain condiments at different times of the week and it can be awhile before all of them are restocked. Depends if I remember or I wait to see if Bro does a Costco run (not a fan of heavy jars or club sizes). Sometimes Mom will move on a grocery list if I have 5-6 items compiled. Staples of household paper (tissues, bathroom) usually get main attention then whatever else is needed. If we run out of the jug of Palmolive dish detergent, literally a week or two can go by before one is purchased (assuming I have a smaller dish soap bottle on hand to pinch-hit in the meantime). I tend to be the one on top of sponges, Vileda Scrunge and cleaning supplies since I want things cleaned and am usually the one doing the porcelain cleanups, plus Comet or Vim purchases.

The disinfecting VIM bathroom cleaner with bleach does not do much to clean bathroom sinks. I always have a couple of spots that won't budge. So I bought Comet cleanser and have used the VIM cream cleanser to tackle the issue. The Power & Shine Vim bathroom spray seems to be a bit better for main bathroom cleaning needs. The shower stall has stubborn issues-still trying to MacGyver that problem as water pools in places and stuff appears.

Impulse buys will take down my budget. However if I see something on clearance that might suit (baked goods at Longos, granola or fruit bars, the odd household or personal care item) our household, I will buy it as usually when I return a day or so later, the items are not there. Fortinos-good for boxed pantry items, the odd household items (NoName 35 ct disinfecting wipes are 50% off from @2.99 at the clearance rack at my local store), baby food or care needs (how I discovered baby porridge). I have tossed out that JFrieda shampoo I bought 2 weeks ago. No cocoa in the ingredient list and smell is altered plus I detected a distinct cinnamon scent (not a fan). That is $7.99+ taxes I just wasted. I will decant some of the Nexxus conditioner and mix it with the Herbal Essences one to tone it down (very tropical scent) to ward off any major split ends. Realize that I need shampoo soon as current bottle is getting empty. Need a $3.99 deal or something that smells good.

Not buying cereal as often. I am trying to remember which ones I really like then trying to buy Cdn where possible *even if it's full price retail because sometimes I have to have a box of cereal in the pantry.* For some reason this summer, I am preferring milk (Mom will buy one bag in a month) in my cereal over the coconut almond beverage. Not sure why but I am picking up my Goldilocks tendencies. The heat does pancake the brain...

Cooking oil is now an issue for me. The olive oil bottles (Bro bought like 4-6 late fall/early winter) have been used and Bro bought Mom a jug of Unico oil which is one not often used. I'm used to Becel sunflower oil and I don't remember the last time anyone bought some. There's a small lemon flavoured olive oil (part of a 4 bottle variety pack-two were used, one tossed and this one was left) lurking in the pantry-have to see if I can use it for roasted veggies on a cold night to use the product up.

The quinoa, long grain rice and lentils will get a lot of attention this week for protein/starchy food needs. I have them and they just need some time in the morning and I'm set for the day, as long there are fruits or snacks to help round out the meals. We have not had any meat pies or quiches in the freezer for a month (except Bro had mini meat pies for his meals) and I do miss them but not the 60-70min cooking times.

Bandages-the hike from $5.97 to $6.77 on one particular Band Aid product is a reason why I got some $4.99 large gauze pads on sale (small gauze pads are over $7) at Fortinos to help offset the prices (though I have to buy tape for the pads). However the lighter Band Aid product is my preference during this heat wave. I just keep going through lots and am ready to cry about the hit each month on expenses just for those items.
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 6 others like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's July 28 already! How time is zipping by despite the heat.

The only plan for next week (aside from grocery shopping) is a short stop to see a relative next week. The forecast is calling for more heat and humidity so I will take water with some Mio along on my visit.

Rather hoping a Youtuber will do a walk through this year's CNE in Toronto. That would be a video worth watching (I cannot do the CNE because crowds and my mobility issues).

I have noticed that the Royal Botanical Gardens (Burlington) does not have a coupon in this year's Attractions Ontario coupon booklet. I have not checked the website for the booklet but suggest fans of the RBG check their Facebook page or other social media channels for promotions to help offset the cost of a visit. Or if you belong to a Perksopolis (work/college/alumni association) or CAA group, see if any deals exist on those platforms.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Fans of the women's Skechers Cozy Campfire/Cozy Camper slippers: some of the lighter coloured models are on sale at Skechers. ca and Marks.com. Perfect for yourselves if you have a larger size foot or for holiday winter gifting.

Marks still has the BOGO 50% off deal for men's/women's footwear today. Think it ends tonight.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Clothing challenges-finding 1-2 long sleeve tops that are easy to wash/dry and have patterns for fall/winter and don't cost more than $40 each. Prices are eyewatering for some versionss I have found online.
    Winter coat (still have the old coat as it's warm but the zipper has issues) and new jacket to replace my trustworthy spring/fall jacket from 3 years go.
    Runners
    Underwear-the camisole issue...sigh

Think I am set for socks right now due to summer deals found.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning and TGIF!!!
    Short work day (we close early before long weekends) and my email is quiet so I assume many people are on vacation.
    Will be a good day to get the little things done.

Dinner- I am thinking I should make steak and shrimp! Perfect afternoon to hang out in the garage and clean and then bbq dinner.
    I am thinking a stop for a 6pk of Corona to use up the limes we have

Clothing- I bought DS a bunch of clothes in the Spring (including nice jeans) and he has tons of new tops and undies/socks (he wore a uniform to school and when he is home chilling he is usually in boxers lol) So his clothing is gently used. And now that he is soon to be 18 he can buy his own stuff ( I buy them stuff for birthdays and Christmas )
    For me- I am very simple. At the start of Covid I tossed all my work clothes but one pair of dress pants. I hang most of my clothing to dry so they last a long time. I have tons of socks and undies.

Cheers to the long weekend! Hope you all have a safe and fun one!
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I find there is no more stocking up prices. Most weeks groceries are all perishable and as I have said before my Flashfood is awful but I always check. This week I picked up a package of cinnamon raisin English muffins for 50 cents. My so is also great about using what we have. This week he made an amazing pesto with the garlic scapes that I had no idea how to use. Then he made fried rice with leftover rice and a bag of shrimp last night. I had a long overdue girls night and we did potluck at a friends house which is always economical and no restaurant pressure to wrap up.
    pour bug expense is fuel. The back and forth to my in-laws in the past 2 months has meant our gas budget is 3xs higher than normal. So I make sure I am using what ever app possible for any amount of savings.
    One nice surprise this week was when I took my SUV in for the oil change I asked about my tires as we have 4000 km of driving next month and they said at least 2 yrs. I am sure it’s because I always switch to winters but I was very happy to not have that expense. I am off work today and just waiting on the appliance guy for the fridge and then will do errands so the rest of the weekend will be relaxing.
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 6 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I wish i had tons of socks and undies (socks are hard to get for me that fit my size 9 foot)ones that dont pull on me.I will slowely build my 2 items .

Neighbour just gave me 2 large hostas one for the front and one for the back -hope bunnies dont eat them.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

@Giseledta great question! Thank you for your insights my friends. Apart from buying bulk sizes at Costco I usually try and plan my cooking by what’s on “sale”. Given regular prices “sales” seem few and far between. I believe side dishes/veggies are being eaten in larger quantities while meat perhaps not as much. My needs are met and then some so I am thankful but feel for those who have families to feed.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

TGIF but at the same time sad it is my last hollidays one and I will start school monday...so less time for leaisure time and SC ..
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Expenses I will have to make for winter is another coat and boots..so ..it is difficult to find in my size..that will be a good challenge
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I had to go into work for a couple hours yesterday. A manager wanted to talk to me about remote access. Our recent exposure has a lot of people thinking and asking what our system is capable of.

On the way home I stopped and got groceries, it has been two weeks since I grocery shop. I had planned to shop the day I found out I had been exposed. Even though I was testing negative to be safe I did not go out. I went to No Frills and got:
    1 x Naturally Imperfect Mushrooms 680g $4
    1 x Naturally Imperfect Peppers 2.5lb $5
    1 x Blueberries $1.99
    2 x Cucumbers $0.99
    2 x Lemons $0.49
    1 x Romaine 3-pack $1.99
    1 x Lunch Meat (Half Roasted Chicken, Half Black Forest Ham) $6
    1 x Buns 12-pack $4
    3 x No Name Bacon $3.99
    1 x Milk
    2 x Eggs 18-pack $3.79
    4 x Sour Cream $2 (PM Freshco)
    4 x Chapman Ice Cream Treats $2.42 (PM Freshco)

I am happy, as I mentioned I had not shopped in 2 weeks and just spent $75. There were a few things I did not get, the produce section was sad, a lot of empty spots and it looked like some of the produce has been frozen, it was rock hard but covered in sweat like it was defrosting on the shelf.

Mom also needs bread and normally I buy it at Costco but since I am not going to Costco anytime soon I would grab a loaf of Country Harvest at No Frills but it is now $3.99/loaf. Nope we will wait till next week it is on sale for $2.99 at RCSS, I will grab her one loaf to get to my next Costco trip. We do have a loaf of Country Harvest Sourdough and a loaf of Country Harvest Everything Bread she can have those until I get more of her bread, she normally has the Oat & Honey one.

I had only planned to buy 2 packages of bacon, but I will looking at packages and did not realize until I got to cash that I still have 3 packs. I could have passed on one but it was a good price for a 500g package.

I am happy with my shop, might pick up another pack of Romaine next week, we are going through quite a bit of lettuce lately. I would have grabbed 2 bags yesterday but selection was sparse and a lot of packs looked like they should be on the discounted rack.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, Jul 29th, 2022 at 01:38 PM.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I had to go into work for a couple hours yesterday. A manager wanted to talk to me about remote access. Our recent exposure has a lot of people thinking and asking what our system is capable of.

On the way home I stopped and got groceries, it has been two weeks since I grocery shop. I had planned to shop the day I found out I had been exposed. Even though I was testing negative to be safe I did not go out. I went to No Frills and got:
    1 x Naturally Imperfect Mushrooms 680g $4
    1 x Naturally Imperfect Peppers 2.5lb $5
    1 x Blueberries $1.99
    2 x Cucumbers $0.99
    2 x Lemons $0.49
    1 x Romaine 3-pack $1.99
    1 x Lunch Meat (Half Roasted Chicken, Half Black Forest Ham) $6
    1 x Buns 12-pack $4
    3 x No Name Bacon $3.99
    1 x Milk
    2 x Eggs 18-pack $3.79
    4 x Sour Cream $2 (PM Freshco)
    4 x Chapman Ice Cream Treats $2.42 (PM Freshco)

I am happy, as I mentioned I had not shopped in 2 weeks and just spent $75. There were a few things I did not get, the produce section was sad, a lot of empty spots and it looked like some of the produce has been frozen, it was rock hard but covered in sweat like it was defrosting on the shelf.

Mom also needs bread and normally I buy it at Costco but since I am not going to Costco anytime soon I would grab a loaf of Country Harvest at No Frills but it is now $3.99/loaf. Nope we will wait till next week it is on sale for $2.99 at RCSS, I will grab her one loaf to get to my next Costco trip. We do have a loaf of Country Harvest Sourdough and a loaf of Country Harvest Everything Bread she can have those until I get more of her bread, she normally has the Oat & Honey one.

I had only planned to buy 2 packages of bacon, but I will looking at packages and did not realize until I got to cash that I still have 3 packs. I could have passed on one but it was a good price for a 500g package.

I am happy with my shop, might pick up another pack of Romaine next week, we are going through quite a bit of lettuce lately. I would have grabbed 2 bags yesterday but selection was sparse and a lot of packs looked like they should be on the discounted rack.
    The romaine was crap at my No Frills today too. ( I popped out quick at lunch) (and crap at RCSS yesterday when I looked)
    I found the best one and I guess I have to be happy with that.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I popped out quick to grab a few things so I can go straight home after work.

$tree had buns so we are set for the BBQ for the next week. (Wonder and D'Italiano $1.50)

Romaine at No Frills (3 pk hearts for $1.99)

And 6 Pk of corona

All these stores are in the same area so it makes for one stop shopping.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Fri, Jul 29th, 2022 at 02:55 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

i have RCSS tomorrow. .. click and collect for my mom. going in for me. i did my budget differently this time. ... hoping it works out. i have a bonus offer for beef.. 7000 for 70.00 and 200 for every 1.00 on fresh pork ... also a weird one.. on salad items.. but its oils, cutons, vinager, non refridgerated salad dressings.. its 3000 pc for 30.00 ... weird offer. not sure how i am going to use those offers.. or if i will...

i have a ... suspection that next week will be hard. i have a menu planned to give myself as much grace as i need to get though the week

any hoo have a fab night everyone
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    And 6 Pk of corona
    Now that’s the kinda Corona I want

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread Information