• 4 Post By Lynn49
  • 1 Post By gourmetsue
  • 1 Post By mjaas
  • 1 Post By ninna

Thread: Moving Tips and Tricks

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have a few weeks till I move, and I would like your tips and tricks to move. Never done a big move of a whole house, so I do not have a lot of experience.

Some questions I have are:
    Is it better to get boxes that close fully? Or can I get some boxes that are at the front of No Frills with the tops cut off?

Where is the best place to get boxes?

What is the best way to label boxes?

I will pack up the attic in the following week, so I do not pack everything at the last minute. I am a planner and like things done in advance.
    I am also planning to put my winter clothes in bags, I hear it is easier to move clothes this way.

Anything else I should know or plan for?

Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: No Frills
    Natalka likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I've only moved a few times, but here are my suggestions:
    - only get boxes that close fully. Otherwise, you're limited in how you can stack them and pile them
    - get a sharpie marker (it will be your best friend) and label every box - what's in it and where it goes. This is super helpful in the move and unpacking. Last move (DH and I moved in together), I did this and DH didn't. 4 1/2 years later, he's still finding unlabelled boxes in the garage that he had "misplaced" in 2008 :/
    - I got some boxes from the grocery store (they aren't all cut open) - I had a nearby food basics so this was a good source. I also highly recommend getting boxes from the liquor store. Booze boxes are super strong and very durable.
    - Try to purge and get rid of as much stuff as possible before the move. Even the neatest and tidiest among us have lots of stuff we don't really need or don't use anymore that takes up space. If you can get rid of this stuff before the move, it'll make the job a lot easier! Sally Ann stores are always happy for these things. Here in Ottawa, we have some charity stores that have special loading docks/storage centres for all this stuff and I used it to get rid of 3 carloads of my stuff without having to trash it or have the hassle of trying to get rid of it in a yard sale.
    - Always leave more time to pack than you think you'll need. I don't know why/how, but unfortunately it always takes much, much longer than you expect.

I hope that helps!
    Natalka likes this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

label every box.. have an emergeny box.. loaded with a shower curtain, toilet paper, sample soap/shampoo etc., bread/pb&j, coffee/t/sugar/creamer, basically items you will need the first day or so during your move.. take paper and tape and a marker and label doors.. ie bedroom 1, den, kitchen etc. so when friends are helping move your boxes.. they just need to read where the box says to go and find the room. always have beds set up first.. when your unpacking boxes til whenever... the last thing you want to do is sleep on a floor.. you'll want a good nights sleep to have a fresh start... enrol a friend for this chore.... make sure to remember to have your connections made... you don't want to be in the new place at 7/8 or 9 at night when its getting dark... and realize crap i forgot to get the hydro connected.. if you can put aside a whack of $ for food to get you through the first few days.. whether its fast food.. or have someone cook you meals or bring you fresh fruit/casseroles etc while your unpacking.. good suggestion for those who say 'if i can do anything let me know' dont be afraid to say.. how about a couple of meals we can throw in the oven... etc. i'd rather make a few extra meals for someone than to help them move.. donating unwanted items before you move.. great idea. save the room on the truck for more important items. OH and that person who's setting up your bed.. enlist their boyfriend/hubby etc. or someone handy to install curtains/blinds while they are doing this.. one thing i hated was my neighbors being able to look in my windows...
    anisa, AmberLab and Natalka like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I haven't moved around too much, but I would suggest that if you put things in bags, that they be very sturdy ones so they don't burst open. Also, label everything really well, especially if you are using garbage bags, so they don't get tossed out accidentally in the process. I really like the idea of having a kit made up of basics that you will need right away. I actually do this when I travel, make sure to have a bit of everything in case your main stuff gets misplaced. Also good was the point about purging...if it's been hanging around the house not being used, you won't regret getting rid of it.

Good luck!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Very good suggestions. I am moving in less than a month. My employer will pay for movers though, so that helps. I have moved about 10 times without movers though.

Don't make boxes too heavy. Weight from books add up quick.
    One of the best boxes for moving, paper boxes (they stack well, can carry a good amount of weight and have handles to use).
    Buy a packing tape dispenser (makes taping up boxes a little easier and quicker)

I agree with the box filled with essentials. I always forget to do this.

Keep a list of important numbers such as phone numbers, and account numbers (just in case the electricity doesn't get connected on time, phone etc).

If you have pets, make a plan for them to travel, including a box with extra food, dishes, a toy or two, and things they need like kitty litter etc. Make sure you have a room to put them in while your doors will be open, such as if you have two bedrooms is it possible to put the pet in that room until everything is moved into the house/apartment. The last thing you want is a pet running out the door and getting lost.
    Natalka likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Just a little note, since you're had such good suggestions here already: place your linens, towels, etc between your dishes and wrap your glasses/cups in them. No newspaper grunge to wash off, and what's the sense of packing a box of linens when they can come in so handy? I've also left clothes on the hangers and folded them into boxes. MUCH easier to unpack! Have fun!
    matrix82, anisa, Natalka and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

we moved 3 yrs ago, and i found that liquor store boxes and apple boxes were the best for me fo the majority of things

the apple boxes have a lid that completely covers the box, right down to the bottom, and has holes on the sides where you can grip with your hands. there is a hole on top, but just use the inserts that seperate the apples in layers for the top and bottom when you pack. (makes more sense when you see the box)

i wouldn't pack my collection of rare marbles in them, but hey pots and pans and cheese graters will do just fine!

label all your boxes! don't just write "kitchen" on 10 boxes. be a little more specific as to the most important items in that box. especially items you can see yourself needing as soon as you get to your new place. there is nothing worse that rummaging through 6 boxes when you are tired.

you can also get big "fragile" stickers at the dollar store. there are a few in a pack.

packing always takes at least twice as long as you think it will. give yourself lots of time
    Last edited by anisa; Tue, May 15th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

No one likes to pay for boxes... but if you are a reader and you have lots of books... banker boxes are the perfect size. They're durable, stackable, have handle openings and are reusable and fold flat for storage under the bed if you have to move again... I've moved 27 times in my life and all my books always go with me. Banker boxes are well worth the investment for ease of use. Make sure to buy the heavier ones for books... The cheaper ones are useless.

Other things to add to your essential box: A decent all purpose cleaning spray, rags, first aid stuff (Every time I move someone in my house gets sick-moving is stressful and tiring) and a great bottle of red wine and candles to enjoy after every box is finally in the new place. Candlelight makes everything look better, even when there are stacks of boxes left to be unpacked tomorrow!
    OOP: $3844.62 (fuel, food, household, health & beauty)
    Coupons used $901.90
    Average grocery savings percentage: 82.30%
    Gasoline savings percentage: 15.58%
    Accumulated Bonus Value(not yet redeemed): $1032.52

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Haven't read all the responses so I'm sorry if I'm duplicating info.

Boxes that close are most important. That way you can easily stack them in the moving van.

If you have friends / movers helping you then be sure to label each box with a room name and then put a sign up on that room door in the new place so when people see Bedroom # 4 they'll know which one it is.

Pack a box of things that you'll need the first night that you move in. Don't forget tooth brush, tooth paste, toilet roll, knickers, kettle, mug and a set of cutlery etc.

Pack medication and personal / confidential documents in a box / bag that goes with you in your car.

Order a van one size bigger than you think..this one if from experience. I ordered one thinking we didn't have that much stuff. We were moving 100+ km and we stuffed friend's cars with stuff because I underestimated how space we'd need.

Post on kijiji / freecycle that you are looking for boxes. Many people are getting rid of the ones they just used to move.

Enjoy your new place!
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (100%)

i think the above tips are awesome!

all i can say is, i got our boxes from LCBO. they're good quality boxes and free. just ask for them from the store, no need to buy anything.
    matrix82 likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    H
    Order a van one size bigger than you think..this one if from experience. I ordered one thinking we didn't have that much stuff. We were moving 100+ km and we stuffed friend's cars with stuff because I underestimated how space we'd need.
    +1 ..even professional movers can make that mistake. Guess who had to help move the previous occupants household possessions before we could move in properly?

Our movers, who were a rival company, made a lot about the extra space we had in our van which we used to remove the last of their goods. Fortunatly it was less than 15 mins away, so we weren't inconvienced too much....

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Wow! You've gotten great advice from everyone thus far. I second the sharpie markers, linens to wrap fragile things, and packing tape dispenser ideas. All 3 of those saved my butt during many moves!

You can also hit up fast food joints for boxes. In my university years, I worked for awhile at a Wendy's. Some of the boxes I got from there were so awesome that I kept them for subsequent moves. The ones you want to ask for specifically:

1. "Tomato boxes"- These are like printer paper boxes. Super strong. Have handles. Come with lids. Great for books and paper
    2. "Fry boxes"- bigger in size than tomato boxes but super super sturdy. They hold the frozen french fries. Unless the employees cut the flaps off, they should be closeable.
    3. "Chicken boxes"- same size roughly as fry boxes but slightly less sturdy. They hold the frozen chicken filets. Good boxes!
    4. "Cup boxes"- these ones are the least sturdy of them all but they are tall and awesome for bulky things like blankets and pillows and linens. They fit bulky items really well. Oh. And they're great for piling clothes into as well.

My only other thing to add: be packed in advance. Don't think, "ahhh. I'll just do that on moving day." As others pointed out, it's easy to underestimate the amount of stuff you have and ergo, underestimate the amount of space you'll need in the van. It is ALSO easy to underestimate the amount of time it takes to move. Can't tell you how many times I have agreed to help someone move only to find that when I arrived, half their crap wasn't packed and they were literally tossing random crap into boxes. Gah! So frsutrating! (and...they couldn't find squat once they moved!)
    gourmetsue likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Thread Information