• 2 Post By miztia
  • 2 Post By gourmetsue
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 2 Post By marstec
  • 1 Post By Zonny
  • 1 Post By jessep13
  • 1 Post By glowworm2k
  • 1 Post By Lynn49

Thread: Concerned with being healthy but still "scenting" your home?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I had no idea where to place this, but decided it was a health issue, so posted it here...although I do think the Tea Room gets more traffic...anyway...I was contemplating purchasing one of those scented sprays, of some form or another, so I did some research, and found this:
    www.mcs-america.org/airfresh.pdf

Although it doesn't state individual products, we can be pretty sure they're in most if not all of the more commercial ones, but can't be sure, because it's not a regulated industry and they can stick whatever they please in them without having an ingredient label that includes all the ingredients. Unlike the EU, which has recently passed regulations insisting on more transparency in this industry re ingredients.

Anyway....I just thought I'd pass this along to you all....and no...I absolutely won't be buying any commercial sprays, oil scenting units at all. Just posting this for your own info...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    glowworm2k likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I dont buy air fresheners regardless if they are free or not, because of the ingredients. I try to keep alot of houseplants around, as I hear they are good air cleaners, especially ferns.
    Lynn49 and lecale like this.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I have never been one to buy air fresheners at all. As an asthmatic I can't have these things anywhere around me. I can't imagine wanting to put these chemicals in my air. I'm with Mitzia, lots of plants in my house.
    Lynn49 and lecale like this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for posting Lynn. I haven't used that stuff for years. brutal ingredients. Maybe we should label it humanicide like we do pesticide. . .
    Lynn49 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have scent allergies, so, no smelly products for our home. I'll start sneezing even before I can identify the scent in the air. I hate when people douse themselves with perfume, not caring about the air quality for anyone else. Mind you, what is worse: horrible body odor or too much perfume? Hmmm, I actually like the smell of clean, as in, just take a bath already!

I have lots of live plants in the house too.
    Lynn49 and glowworm2k like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I've never been a fan of smellies. They don't bother me physically, I just don't have anything to cover up! Sure, things smell bad sometimes, but time makes the odour dissipate on its own, never felt the need to have my house smell all flowery.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

oh wow i did not know that! i use tons of that stuff.... the jellys, aresol sprays, wall units..... what about scented candles would they be bad too? But i do also have a lot of houseplants as well so guess i dont really need the air fresheners.
    Lynn49 likes this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I don't do smellies - I have perfume allergies and DH is an asthmatic. When I get a really bad smell in the house, a great way to get it out is to boil some water on the stove and put in a teaspoon of vanilla extract... I learned this from a friend in high school who *ahem* had lots to hide from his parents and was pretty good at not getting caught. Essential oils can be used in the same way (100% natural), although just a few drops are needed to get the effect. Beyond that, I leave out a box of baking soda for smelly areas of the house, like near the cat box... works like a charm and is also 100% safe and natural
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jessep13 View Post
    oh wow i did not know that! i use tons of that stuff.... the jellys, aresol sprays, wall units..... what about scented candles would they be bad too? But i do also have a lot of houseplants as well so guess i dont really need the air fresheners.
    Just a note, Hon.....yes, scented candles, unless they're SOY candles with a NO LEAD wick in them, are noxious! Most imported (read: China, etc) have lead in the wicks...not a good thing. If you read up on the ingredients in smellies, sprays, plug-ins, you'll dump them in the garbage, too.... Fresh is best, or, if you like scent, like Glowworm mentioned, drops of essential oils (on small pieces of cloth) in discreet places is the best ...
    Personally I don't need my house smelling of "linen" or "clouds" or flowers to feel it's clean...houses are meant to smell different from each other...that's what makes us unique. I'd rather use a lemon oil on my furniture than spray toxic chemicals on them, too.

I'm happy you all don't use 'em!!
    glowworm2k likes this.

Thread Information