User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Anyone else trying to lose weight? What is or is not working for you?

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think my worst issue is portion control. I am always snacking to tide me over between meals so it never really feels like the meal is over. Combine that with midnight snacks and special occasions, I find it a real challenge to change my habits!
    lecale likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

3 inches is fabulous! I'm saying no to the sugar as well! We also cut out gluten and that seems to help
    The ONLY thing you have to lose is the WEIGHT!

My Journey To lose 70 Pounds....

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find it easier if I only think about it day by day and then it doesn't seem like such a challenge...
    AmberLab and Lynn49 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    I am eating only recognizable foods (whole foods as much as possible), limiting my sugar intake for two reasons - one, my fiancé is diabetic, and two, now that I have cut it out, sugar makes me feel like crap.

For exercise, I run 3 times a week with two girlfriends and go on a BIG power walk with my Mom once a week. The group atmosphere is making me stick with it and now I get a workout rush.

I don't weigh myself but I have lost at least 3 inches on my waist in the past month since my belt/pants barely fit now.
    3 inches is fabulous! I too have cut out the sugar as well as gluten and it really works!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by curt81 View Post
    I'm a whopper. I need to lose around 60 pounds. I have a plan and just need to do it and actually stick with it this time.
    If I can do it ...so can you!
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Being a diabetic I have to watch what I eat. I recently went vegan because my doctor wanted to put me on Lipitor to control my cholesterol. I wasn't about to take a pill to control something that was in the normal range so in order to manage my cholesterol, I went vegan to avoid any external sources of cholesterol. It works for me as it also allowed me to drop my pills to control my blood/sugar. I still measure it twice a day and it's within the normal range even without the pills. The vegan diet I follow is based on trying to eat food as "raw" as possible and to avoid extra added oil and sodium and processed foods. So far so good. I went from 225 to about 165 in about 2 years. The first 40 pounds was because I was losing weight from the diabetes because I did not know I was diabetic. Once I found out, the next 20 was just watching portions and eating better following a regular diet. I was still on the pills and tried everything to see if I could get off of them. I saw a documentary call Forks Over Knives that basically says that you can cut out your diabetic medication if you cut out animal products and so I tried it. 6 weeks ago I started the vegan diet and I dropped one of my two daily pills for diabetes and my blood sugar was not only stable, it improved. 2 weeks ago I dropped the last pill and my blood sugar did not rise and I also dropped 6 lbs to reach 159, which at my height, gives me a BMI of 24.9 that puts me in the normal range between 20 and 25. It's a far cry for the BMI of 35 which put me in the obese category. I have a blood work to do tomorrow so I will find out the effect of the diet in a very short period in a week or so.

The main thing for me was cutting out animal products, which in my case, inhibit my insulin from working properly. So far so good.
    Last edited by DH666; Mon, Jul 9th, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Sp.
    Lynn49, lekate, lecale and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

DH666, I recall reading somewhere, that if we all watched our intake of foods like a diabetic, then we'd all be much healthier and lose excess weight. My brother is also diabetic, has the stent in his abdomen for insulin, and I'm usually quite impressed by how he has to control his portions.....Stay healthy...vegan sounds so intersting...I'm not a fan of meat and many days barely tolerate getting any in at all...it probably wouldn't be too difficult to stop completely.
    Tonight, for instance, we're having black beans, salsa, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream, and fresh chives from the garden, all wrapped up into tortillas. We never miss the meat! Keep up the good work!
    DH666 and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    DH666, I recall reading somewhere, that if we all watched our intake of foods like a diabetic, then we'd all be much healthier and lose excess weight. My brother is also diabetic, has the stent in his abdomen for insulin, and I'm usually quite impressed by how he has to control his portions.....Stay healthy...vegan sounds so intersting...I'm not a fan of meat and many days barely tolerate getting any in at all...it probably wouldn't be too difficult to stop completely.
    Tonight, for instance, we're having black beans, salsa, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream, and fresh chives from the garden, all wrapped up into tortillas. We never miss the meat! Keep up the good work!
    If there's one thing I don't like it's taking medication. In my view medication treats symptoms, nothing else. I went through a lot of research to come to the conclusion that it was animal products that were responsible for my having to take the medication. 5 weeks later, no pills and my blood glucose is better than before. It was 4.7 this morning. I keep a spreadsheet with all of my readings and I can tell you that my b/g in the morning is better than any time I was on medication. My b/g at night is slightly higher, but that's because the medication isn't there to lower it artificially. For me, the meat is the easy part. Cheese was harder but I would rather give that up than go back on pills.
    AmberLab, aussie, Lynn49 and 4 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

DH666....You are to be commended!! I just love that you took the bull by the horns and said NO to a lifetime of meds.
    Congrats again ( I tried to rep you again , but not allowed, lol)
    Lynn49, lekate and lecale like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    DH666....You are to be commended!! I just love that you took the bull by the horns and said NO to a lifetime of meds.
    Congrats again ( I tried to rep you again , but not allowed, lol)
    Thanks Walkonby, As a friend of ours said: "If you know better, you do better". I looked at the available information and it does point to the fact that it works. I'm living proof of it. I am off my meds, feeling better than before and I have my blood/glucose under better control than when I took the medication.
    AmberLab likes this.

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoStumpy View Post
    I need to lose 30-35lbs, but to start I'll be happy with 20!

This is my first day with counting, never done it before... I've signed up with www.myfitnesspal.com which seems great so far in calculating everything for me... Asks my targets, figures out how much I should be eating to reach those targets, and I try and stick to them...

Today my goal was 1370 calories, 188g carbs, 46g fat, 51g protein... As long as I eat what I plan to for dinner (veggie tacos), I'll be at 1362 calories, 145g carbs, 49g fat, and 94g protein.. Went over by a lot on the protein but I think that's one of the better ones to go over on

Having fun so far!! Quite hungry right now but that's because dinner is only an hour away
    Love this site, I just joined it yesterday.
    Made it through day 1
    I really like how it calculates everything for you. It's easy to keep a daily food log as well.
    lecale likes this.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    I lost 30lbs in a few months by good 'ol fashioned counting calories. I never feel deprived..in fact, I eat very well on it, which I learned going to WW, which does work, btw.
    Right now, since I gained back 10lbs while in Florida, I've restricted my carbs to get that puffy, full feeling off me.
    I try to keep my calories around 1200, but in reality, some days it's 900, other days, 1000, which isn't healthy, so most days I try to do the 1200.
    Today's dinner is lean beef, shredded carrots, mushroom, sauteed onion stuffed peppers with another veggie on the side. Thank goodness hubby goes along with whatever I want to do, but if he's feeling deprived of carbs, there's always brown Minute Rice...

I have a "milk shake" every morning: 1C almond milk, a bunch of berries (frozen or fresh), a couple of Sweet 'n Low (can't give that up, and don't feel the need to), and an egg. Whirled up in the blender, it keeps me full until lunch-time....

So, what's worked for you before, Hon?

How's your health? I find that I stop ovulating when I eat less than 1300 calories for more than 2 weeks. 10 years ago, I was on 1200 calories, with 800 fruit and veggie only days twice a week. Under supervision of nutritionist. Stopped ovulating for 8 months so I had to stop. It's just not sustainable for me.

I hope it works out for you. Be sure to keep track with your health. I often check my stats at SDM blood pressure station. Good luck!
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

So far I've been off the pills for about a month and my glucose is good. Down to 157 so 68lbs lost. I should be good to stick around 155lbs from now on.
    AmberLab likes this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I find that being a total doofus does not help. I had a $5 GC for a shop so I decided to stop in to see what they had available. The man behind me offered me a sample of ice cream: chocolate ripple, maple toffee, or creamy vanilla. While eating the ice cream, I picked up a copy of the nutritional information sheet for the products.

Next stop, Sobey's to use up an FPC. Someone was walking around handing out samples. I couldn't see what they were, but it smelled good. Right when I got to the end of the aisle, who should block my way, but Mr. Sample-Tray boy, and would I like a piece of gourmet chicken pizza? Arrgh!!! Chicken, with fancy cheeses, bell peppers, and pretty spices all over the top.

While I was wolfing down the pizza, I was also holding the nutritional info from the last shop, while holding my purchase in my other hand. It looked like I was trying to hide my crazy chomping from other shoppers with the health sheet. All the while, I was thinking: I shouldn't have eaten that ice cream, I shouldn't have eaten that ice cream (while eating the cheese-laden pizza).

After the second doofus moment, the third doofus moment struck. The stomach pains from being lactose intolerant made it all even worse. I definitely need to be more careful and you should never go grocery shopping while hungry. I can resist buying things, but it's hard to resist free samples.
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I agree; portion control is so very important. Blood Pressure, cholesterol & weight has made me
    seriously look at my food intake. Diets have never worked for me but I finally realized it was what
    I was consuming and how much (also drastically reduced salt; check labels)

Now I've cut back on most things 'white' - eating more grain, veggies & fruit; less meat and more fish.
    With my new eating habits, I don't concentrate on calories, carbs or fats. (so far 17lbs in 3 months)

Important is to read labels; my gosh I don't buy anything now until I read the nutritional values.

Wishing you all success in your weight loss - mine is dropping slowly but feeling good about it all.
    Last edited by RTlady; Fri, Jun 1st, 2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: *
    lecale likes this.
    'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.'

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information