User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gah! So torn re finding a babysitter for Jenny!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We're going away for about a week, twice, and I'm beside myself with worry over who might babysit Jenny!
    We interviewed (mutual, I think) a gal last week who has a golden lab...he lost his playmate a year ago, and loves other dogs, which was highly evident when we brought Jenny over. He was a sweetie. Jenny was avoiding him, but it's probably because he's so big and wanted to play so quickly that she just wanted to wander the yard herself while we were all on the deck. Soon, however, they were avoiding each other, which was nice...Jenny even slipped into the house like it was hers. So far so good, right?
    Well, the problem comes in when she goes to camp for a few days, which means Jenny is tied to the clothesline. She's not an outdoors dog, but she's fine if there are others around. Just not alone outside. So, that's one situation.

I took Jenny for a walk this morning, and the gal who grooms dogs and I got to chatting and I asked her if she knew anyone who babysat dogs, and THEY DO! They live just 2 blocks away, and she has her business at home. She's very nice, very sweet with Jenny, and her hyperactive 1-year old dog was beside himself with joy at having Jenny in the yard with him. Again, she would have nothing to do with him. Sigh...anyway, she'd take Jenny....same price, so no difference there, she's home all day, asked if Jenny would sit on the sofa and I told her that Jenny would have it no other way......BUT! They have two kids. Not little ones, but elementary school-aged, and I've never really met them.

So what do I do?! Besides canceling our trips?!!!

So sad right now...my sweet, gentle Jenny.....
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Lynn49; Tue, Jun 12th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Oh Lynn, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a hard time finding a pet-sitter. I have had similar problems with my cats; when DH and I went away on vacation in 2010, we hired a girl who lived less than a 10 min walk away to come over to feed the kitties and change their litter. I got home and the pets had been fed, but the house smelled like cat pee I don't know if she didn't change the litter often enough, or if they were just lonely and acting out, but it took us a long time to get the house smelling like normal. (We also travelled in 2008 and the guy I hired to look after the cats did a crummy job - he was afraid of them and just fed them tons instead of using the measuring scoop. The cats were noticeably fatter when I got home 2 weeks later) We are planning a short trip this summer and I'm praying that my sister will be back in Canada at that point as I'm going to invite her to house-sit for a week (I figure free access to a house in the nation's capital within walking distance of downtown and all the major sights, plus a car in the driveway if she wants to use it, in exchange for pet-sitting is pretty fair!). After my experience, I'd say it's a bit of a crapshoot, so go with your gut. Maybe you could arrange to go to the second woman's house when her children are around just so you can see what kind of vibe you get? It sounds like poor Jenny won't be 100% happy without you, but if the family is good to her it sounds like a good bet.

Good luck!!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Aw Lynn, I know how you feel, but we are lucky because we have my mom who comes up to Toronto to babysit Sacha for us.
    I would get you to bring Jenny over to my moms to babysit but she is in Europe know until July. She is wonderful with dogs, very loving (she spoils Sacha haha) and she is home all day (retired).

I hope something works, fingers crossed!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    Aw Lynn, I know how you feel, but we are lucky because we have my mom who comes up to Toronto to babysit Sacha for us.
    I would get you to bring Jenny over to my moms to babysit but she is in Europe know until July. She is wonderful with dogs, very loving (she spoils Sacha haha) and she is home all day (retired).

I hope something works, fingers crossed!
    Soooooo...is she busy November 10-16th?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, Glowworm, Vee....good idea, Glow, about taking her over when the kids are there....she's been around our 4-year old grandson, but not 24/7 like she will be with the other two, at least on the weekend....She'll probably get more attention with the older gal and her golden lab, even tho' she's taking them to camp....GAH!!!! I'll keep you posted....

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I totally understand what your going through. My German as been going to the same Kennel for over 6 years and i'm very lucky that place is awsome and my dog loves it there.. when we go to pick him up, he usually doesnt want to leave and runs back to play with the other dogs. But now, with Harley,my new dog..did you see my new dog lynn?? lots of things will be different. As much as i dont mind bringing Maze at the kennel, i'm not convinced about bringing a small dog there..might be ok, just not something i'm sold on.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Soooooo...is she busy November 10-16th?
    I can ask! She does have a cat but he's a 16 yr old reclusive grouch lol I sometimes wonder if my mom comes over to see me or Sacha... She says me but I'm not convinced lol

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    I can ask! She does have a cat but he's a 16 yr old reclusive grouch lol I sometimes wonder if my mom comes over to see me or Sacha... She says me but I'm not convinced lol
    That would be wonderful, Vee!! Jenny's an absolute joy, not hyper at all, can sleep in, in the morning until I want to get up (even if it's 9am!) and doesn't have to be rushed outside for her morning piddle....She's okay by herself for a few hours in the daytime, and loves, loves, loves to be snuggled and is very good (too good?) at giving kissings!

I'll keep my fingers crossed, and no pressure, but if she ever wants to snuggle a doggie I'd be happy to bring Jenny over!

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have you talked to your vet Lynn? They often know people who would do this. . . or even people at the pet food store? I find they're usually quite the animal lovers.
    Both homes sound good. . .just not perfect.. Another idea is to findout where Seniors hang out. I bet there would be a few volunteers there too.
    I know your dilemma tho. i work from home so Eddie (the terrorist) is very spoiled and is used to me being home. Speaking of which, I looked out the window today to see him flinging a poor dead squirrel in the air over and over (Thanks to Tux the cat- just ditched the dead body in the yard. sigh. . . ) While it was slightly horrifying, it was pretty funny too sonce he was just delighted with this new "realistic" toy. Sadly for him, I had to inter his bodily remains to the garbage bin. RIP.
    I digress. . .it IS hard to get sitters for our spoiled little babies. Ssince I have 4, it's generally cheaper to get a sitter here then somewhere else. Keep us posted on your hunt for the right sitter.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Oh Lynn, that is awful. Where do u live? I am in York region she can come stay with me! Abby would love a friend My guys are teens and love dogs! They r always asking for another Both my sister in laws are vet tecs too The offer is there...
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

more options lynn... keep them coming...lol!!!
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    Oh Lynn, that is awful. Where do u live? I am in York region she can come stay with me! Abby would love a friend My guys are teens and love dogs! They r always asking for another Both my sister in laws are vet tecs too The offer is there...
    Oh, Abby don't tempt me, Hon, but we're in Northern Ontario.... I would love to have had you care for her...thank you so much!

MQ, I'll try both those options, although a gal I know works at our vet's, and wants to take Jenny, but it's not an ideal situation...she works all day, and their little girl is the brat of the neighborhood!

The search continues... Thank you, everyone....!!!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Good luck
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Lynn, I think the seniors idea is a good one - most people in their "senior years" are home a lot (so they say!) and Jenny is hardly a "handful" to take care of! It's good that you're starting early so that you can find one you are completely happy with.
    Lynn49 likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

It's always a tough one...they are family! I'd take her in a heartbeat if you were in NW Ont
    Lynn49 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information