User Tag List

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1273Likes

Thread: So Disappointed

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    You are so wrong. Its the other way around, the MAJORITY of people are abusing it.
    I guess you can provide a suitable study from a reputable source to back this statement up????

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I guess you can provide a suitable study from a reputable source to back this statement up????
    Are you serious?? I don't need a study, I have seen it with my own eyes. From my observation, aside from people who are sick, mentally ill or injured, there is no reason anyone NEEDS to be on it. There are plenty of jobs out there, they may not be the best jobs, or glamorous jobs, but there are jobs.

I have talked to people who wont take minimum wage jobs because "I won't make much more that I will on welfare" which is revolting because they wont WORK for money ( even thought its a more than they get from welfare ) because they make "almost" as much to do nothing.

I don't think beggars should be choosers. I think if theres a job, they should take it.

again though, this topic has been derailed, its not about who is on welfare, who shouldnt be on it and the many problems with the welfare system. Its about drug testing for people on welfare, and I'm strong in my opinion, if we ( tax payers ) are supporting them, they should be drug tested. We work far to hard to make money, and far to hard to save it to be spending on the drug, alcohol and smoking habits of people who don't work.
    Last edited by JennyFromTheRock; Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

as I see it everything out offered to the public there will someone who will abuse it or find a way to make it right for them in there mind or justify it somehow that it works for them or say you don't know my situation. Abusing welfare just goes on the list with abusing EI, disability pensions, Workman Comp the list can go on. People abuse or misuse prescription drugs, food, coupons or even downloading music, programs and videos. Its in our nature as human beings and some people more than others will abuse it more. Just like addiction some people can addicted from day one and others never get addicted to anything.
    When I took social work classes in University they mention that all provinces there is a high amounts of abuse of the system. I remember in Ontario and BC it was over 25% and this was in mid 2000's. From selling there prescription drugs to using there money for things that social workers tell there clients they can't use it on. For anyone who has been on OW and was told by your workers that its only used for basic living rent and food. No cable, no pet food etc because they are luxuries. But they know they are used on that and only way they find out is visiting the clients. And social workers have too many cases and not enough time to do that.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

Can the op back her statement up as well ??????

I agree with jenn i know a bunch of people that abuse the system and its sad but i cant tell them what to do . Some people just walk around with blinders on but thats ok they are allowed to . I would like to see the study on the other side can you provide us with that please

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

This is an article I read a few years ago that stuck with me, its American, but still very relevant.

This was written by Alfred W. Evans, a retired Army sergeant from Gatesville, Texas. It's his future he worried about and this is how he feels about the social welfare big government state that he's being forced to live in! These solutions are just common sense in his opinion.

This was in the Waco Tribune Herald, Waco , TX Nov 18, 2010

"Put me in charge . . .

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese and all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want steak and frozen pizza, then get a job.
    starts off with racial and sexual slurs...guess it's going to be soooooo very balanced.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I'd do is to get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations.
    wheee....forced sterilisation of women...

Then, we'll test recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine and document all tattoos and piercings. If you want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, smoke or get tats and piercings, then get a job.
    What happens if you had those before you got laid off? do you lose them?

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a military barracks? You will maintain our property in a clean and good state of repair. Your "home" will be subject to inspections anytime and possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or Xbox 360, then get a job and your own place.
    Police state much...no nice things for you, young lady...sorry that you bought it when you had a job..but being jobless now means we get to take it from you.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or you will report to a "government" job. It may be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you. We will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo and speakers and put that money toward the “common good..”
    [/quote]

so now the govt is in charge of a slave labour force..and they forcefully sell your possessions regardless of how you purchased them.

Before you write that I've violated someone's rights, realize that all of the above is voluntary. If you want our money, accept our rules.. Before you say that this would be "demeaning" and ruin their "self esteem," consider that it wasn't that long ago that taking someone else's money for doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self esteem.
    Those aren't rules...that's a budding dictorship in the makking.

If we are expected to pay for other people's mistakes we should at least attempt to make them learn from their bad choices. The current system rewards them for continuing to make bad choices.
    Yup working for the wrong company which folded or doesn't pay you enough is so obviously a bad choice.

AND, While you are on Gov’t subsistence, you no longer can VOTE! Yes that is correct. For you to vote would be a conflict of interest as you would clearly be voting for a "pro-welfare" government. You will voluntarily remove yourself from voting while you are receiving a Gov’t welfare check. If you want to vote, then get a job."
    Hmmm...soo when do we decide that a woman getting child benefit is on Govt subsistance and refuse her the vote or a pensioner or some-one who's looking after an eldery relative or a handicapped child. Never mind that in some areas there just aren't enough jobs for the number of unemployed people looking for work.
    lekate, GoJays, jessep13 and 6 others like this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

The 23 yr old next door gets a welfare cheque because he's too lazy to get his ass out of bed and work....he loves to smoke drink and smoke weed.....it really gets to me when I'm dragging my ass out to work when the roads are treacherous in the winter....he lives with parents but says he's boarding with a friend at a different address....yes I feel people getting assistance should be drug tested....and I feel they should be given food vouchers and not cash
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I still am a registered social worker with a BSW from U of Waterloo and I have worked as one for years as a case worker and children's aid worker. And because 25% of Ontario abuse or misuse there OW money are we going to take it away for 75% of Ontarians who truly need it and would die without it. We all have known someone or still know someone who sits on welfare drunk or high but you are really concerned you can file a report with OW and they will investigate it. It use to bother me seeing clients drunk or high but when I looked at all the other clients I helped who took this money to better themselves and there kids then it made the bad 25% of the people go away.
    I know Canada needs a better system but it hard when there are not enough social worker and the burn out rate is high. I lasted 10 years until I couldn't do it anymore,

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Are you serious?? I don't need a study, I have seen it with my own eyes. From my observation, aside from people who are sick, mentally ill or injured, there is no reason anyone NEEDS to be on it. There are plenty of jobs out there, they may not be the best jobs, or glamorous jobs, but there are jobs.

I have talked to people who wont take minimum wage jobs because "I won't make much more that I will on welfare" which is revolting because they wont WORK for money ( even thought its a more than they get from welfare ) because they make "almost" as much to do nothing.

I don't think beggars should be choosers. I think if theres a job, they should take it.

again though, this topic has been derailed, its not about who is on welfare, who shouldnt be on it and the many problems with the welfare system. Its about drug testing for people on welfare, and I'm strong in my opinion, if we ( tax payers ) are supporting them, they should be drug tested. We work far to hard to make money, and far to hard to save it to be spending on the drug, alcohol and smoking habits of people who don't work.
    yes....I'm very serious...I've seen with my own eyes people on welfare don't act like that...I've lived in areas where there's 100s of applicants for a job, any job.

Your personal experiences don't trump mine, sorry.

I know enough people who didn't spend with "welfare-fueled sex, drugs and alcohol" lives doing that. They saved and spent hourstrudging around looking for a job. They scrimped and saved to buy a new outfit for an interview they never got.

You might want to read this..

Drug testing the poor: Bad Policy, Even Worse Law

Drug testing the needy has an undeniable populist appeal. It taps into deeply held beliefs about the deserving and undeserving poor. As Alabama state representative Kerry Rich put it, “I don’t think the taxpayers should have to help fund somebody’s drug habit.”
    But as government policy, drug testing is being oversold. These laws do not do what their supporters claim. And more importantly: they are likely to be unconstitutional.

Drug testing proponents like to argue that there are large numbers of drug users going on welfare to get money to support their habits. The claim feeds into long-standing stereotypes about the kind of people who go on welfare, but it does not appear to have much basis in fact.
    Several studies, including a 1996 report from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, have found that there is no significant difference in the rate of illegal-drug use by welfare applicants and other people. Another study found that 70% of illegal-drug users between the age of 18 and 49 are employed full time.

It's an American study.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by leavitts77 View Post
    Can the op back her statement up as well ??????

I agree with jenn i know a bunch of people that abuse the system and its sad but i cant tell them what to do . Some people just walk around with blinders on but thats ok they are allowed to . I would like to see the study on the other side can you provide us with that please
    why don't you ask the OP to? Rather than asking me to do it.

Here is the study I've already posted in responce to Jenny
    AshleyRobertson likes this.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

yes....I'm very serious...I've seen with my own eyes people on welfare don't act like that...I've lived in areas where there's 100s of applicants for a job, any job.

Your personal experiences don't trump mine, sorry.

I know enough people who didn't spend with "welfare-fueled sex, drugs and alcohol" lives doing that. They saved and spent hourstrudging around looking for a job. They scrimped and saved to buy a new outfit for an interview they never got.

You might want to read this..

Drug testing the poor: Bad Policy, Even Worse Law

It's an American study.

That might be the case in your area.... but in Areas I have lived it was certainly abused.
    anastasia1009 likes this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

I expect that answer from you i dont get mad like you try making people you have your own opinion and people have theirs thats lif we are all not going to agree on the same issues . Your study also varies from other studies so who is right and who is wrong ?? We will never know will we ??

why don't you ask the OP to? Rather than asking me to do it.

Here is the study I've already posted in responce to Jenny
    JennyFromTheRock likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

i was one of those that agreed with this photo,and for good reason.i had to stop being friends with someone because she is the reason a photo like this was made.she qualified for a christmas hamper in our town which is reserved for people who fall under the poverty line,so they can have toys for christmas,food,and a normal christmas.it has good intentions behind it,and she crap all over it.she got a gift card to a grocery store in town for 100 dollars,for groceries,she bought a few items of food and then proceeded to buy a few packs of cigarettes and some tobacco.i was outraged....that is money that a family that didnt qualify would have used for food for christmas...i was so disgusted with her.she would make a lot of tips under the table as a waitress and the government never knew,she would go out to the bars and spend hundreds on booze and smokes,then whine about when her cheque was coming in so she could buy food and diapers...not all people on welfare are like this but it happens.i think the picture is warranted,and i agree with it,so many people abuse the system put in place for real struggling individuals who dont drink,smoke and gamble it all away
    JennyFromTheRock likes this.

~just your average nerd~

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Here's another American study since they are the ones really pushing for drug testing..

Drug Testing Welfare Recipients Shows One Group was Right - the Welfare Recipients

What do you do when the facts don’t support your actions, which were based on extremist rhetoric and false notions? If you’re Gov. Rick Scott (GOP/Tea – Fla.) you simply change the mission.
    The results are in, and drug testing of welfare recipients as a means to deny them assistance costs more than it saves and fails to shrink the welfare rolls. On the plus side, it shows that drug use is lower among welfare recipients than in the general population.
    AshleyRobertson likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

<puts on mod hat and looks around suspiciously>
    guys come on, you know its only going to get locked, keep it respectful please
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

That might be the case in your area.... but in Areas I have lived it was certainly abused.
    I have seen the abuse with my own two eyes and even been there case worker. When I live in Hull Quebec everyone on my street except me, my bf and my neighbor were all on welfare either that or in jail for drug offenses. I know I lived in a bad area but 550 a month for 2 bedroom all inclusive I love the place
    ssbean and JennyFromTheRock like this.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information