Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sunflowers ...

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

everything was wilting and thirsty when I got home!!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Picked a few pea pods today for a stir fry-raspberries soon.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    everything was wilting and thirsty when I got home!!
    yeah, my plants too.. hopefully i didn't let the tomatoes dry out for too long.. they bounced back but i don't know how it will affect the fruit

i should post this in the rant section too, but i know all y'all will sympathize with me a little bit more... i have a tiny tim tomato plant that is chock full of little tomatoes.. there were two that were almost ready to be picked - another couple of days and they would have been perfect.. the other morning i did my regular walk and noticed that both of them had been gnawed on!!!.. if i ever get my hands on that gd squirrel, i'm gonna wring it's pathetic little neck

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

ok so i am hoping someone here can help me. I have a King Kong coleus in my front garden that, althought doing well, seems to have some insect going to town on it! I can't tell if it's Slugs or Earwigs so I am hoping someone here can tell me. I was told that Earwigs only eat along the edges and that slugs eat the middle, then someone told me something different so I am hoping someone here can help. Here are a couple pictures:

Name:  plant2.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  51.9 KBName:  plants1.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  65.9 KBName:  plant3.JPG
Size:  67.9 KB

Can anyone help me out? And I do want to get rid of whatever is chewing them up, but don't want to use a heavy pesticide because of my dog. He has a bad habit of smelling anything that is out of the ordinary and if he gets it on his nose then licks it I don't want him ingesting it. So if anyone has a home made recipe (I was thinking I heard of something that had to do with dish-soap?) and can share it I would really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Sunshyne1; Tue, Jul 16th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    yeah, my plants too.. hopefully i didn't let the tomatoes dry out for too long.. they bounced back but i don't know how it will affect the fruit

i should post this in the rant section too, but i know all y'all will sympathize with me a little bit more... i have a tiny tim tomato plant that is chock full of little tomatoes.. there were two that were almost ready to be picked - another couple of days and they would have been perfect.. the other morning i did my regular walk and noticed that both of them had been gnawed on!!!.. if i ever get my hands on that gd squirrel, i'm gonna wring it's pathetic little neck
    GoJays,

You can pick the tomatoes when they start to turn colour and bring them in to finish ripening - taste shouldn't be affected and it's better than letting a critter get to them before you!
    Angela273 and GoJays like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Hmm, some years my hostas look like that , never did figure out what it is I usually just let nature take it's course.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post

Ill lend you my dog for an afternoon, trust me...that squirrel won't last an hour...lol
    GoJays likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    ok so i am hoping someone here can help me. I have a King Kong coleus in my front garden that, althought doing well, seems to have some insect going to town on it! I can't tell if it's Slugs or Earwigs so I am hoping someone here can tell me. I was told that Earwigs only eat along the edges and that slugs eat the middle, then someone told me something different so I am hoping someone here can help. Here are a couple pictures:

Name:  plant2.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  51.9 KBName:  plants1.JPG
Size:  65.9 KBName:  plant3.JPG
Size:  67.9 KB

Can anyone help me out? And I do want to get rid of whatever is chewing them up, but don't want to use a heavy pesticide because of my dog. He has a bad habit of smelling anything that is out of the ordinary and if he gets it on his nose then licks it I don't want him ingesting it. So if anyone has a home made recipe (I was thinking I heard of something that had to do with dish-soap?) and can share it I would really appreciate it!
    It is most likely slugs, yuck. very easy to kill if you have beer kicking around. Pour some into a lid of a jar or a saucer. they will climb in get drunk and drown.
    Of course your dog may like it too!
    I hide them under the plants that are affected the most put it out at night. they are even getting my zinnas this year. I don't have any beer on hand or they would be toast already.
    Angela273, Granger and Sunshyne1 like this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itsmewhoelse View Post
    It is most likely slugs, yuck. very easy to kill if you have beer kicking around. Pour some into a lid of a jar or a saucer. they will climb in get drunk and drown.
    Of course your dog may like it too!
    I hide them under the plants that are affected the most put it out at night. they are even getting my zinnas this year. I don't have any beer on hand or they would be toast already.

OOOHhh, thanks! I will try that tonight and see what happens!
    Angela273 likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Heat is brutal, I am trying not to water my pots everyday to be a good citizen but wow day 4 of 30+ 40 humidex.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Heat is brutal, I am trying not to water my pots everyday to be a good citizen but wow day 4 of 30+ 40 humidex.
    Feast or famine, eh Patty? It's really hot here too.. at 9pm we're sitting at a 40 humidex.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

So much to learn from you ladies. So subscribed. My day lilies are going to bloom for the first time. Nothing exciting but we planted them two summers ago and this will be the first debut in our garden.
    Patty Smyth and GoJays like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

After they are finished blooming, don't make the same mistake that I make year after year with them - I have a bad habit of cutting the leaves back because they're getting too jungle-ly. You'll get better flowers the next year if you just leave the leaves alone and let them die down naturally. I'll try harder to listen to my own advice this year lol
    Angela273 and Granger like this.

Page 53 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast

Thread Information