User Tag List

Page 25 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Does anyone know a good roasted red pepper and pear pickling recipe?

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tobiwobi View Post
    Does anyone know a good roasted red pepper and pear pickling recipe?
    I found a red pepper pickling recipe here
    tobiwobi likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Here is a spicy pickled pear recipe.

I have not tried these recipes but they look good.
    If your looking to preserve this for a longer period put it in a proper sterilized mason jar and use a new snaplid and process for 15 mins in a water bath canner. Then you will get a good shelf life out of the pickles.
    Last edited by cheekysaver; Sun, Sep 8th, 2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: copy n paste fail... user error LOL
    tobiwobi likes this.

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Hi everybody, I found two interesting recipes, and I thought I would share:

Name:  red onion picles.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  35.1 KB

Pickled Red Onion Recipe #1:

Ingredients

• 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 1 cup warm water
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt

Instructions

Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together until sugar and salt is fully dissolved.

Place onion in a jar or bowl (I like to use a mason jar). Pour vinegar mixture over the onions and let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour if you're in a rush. Preferably, cover jar or bowl and place in refrigerator for at least 1 day. Pickled onions will last for a few weeks stored in the refrigerator.

Use pickled onions to top tacos, nachos, sandwiches, salads, and more!

Recipe # 2

1 large red onion. sliced as thin as you can get it
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 garlic clove
    bay leaf
    1 teaspoon of mixed spices (I normally opt for thyme, black pepper and coriander)

In a sauce pan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and spices. Bring to a gentle simmer to dissolve. Taste to adjust seasoning. Add the onion and let simmer for two to three minutes, stirring once. Remove from the heat, allow to cool and store in the liquid.

Last edited by Mystic; Sun, Sep 8th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Horndogg and macw1960 like this.
    Join Swagbucks - I've earned $150.00 so far!!
    "If you can dream it - you can do it"

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Wowsers! Others gave great ideas!

For freezing for smoothies, I first cut into chunks, freeze on a cookie sheet, then put in bags. Then when they are whizzed while frozen they are like using ice cubes.

Let some ripen, like you would use for baking, mush them and freeze them that way. I do mine in three banana batches, which is what my banana bread and muffin recipes use.

Make frozen banana treats! Insert stick into 1/2 banana and freeze (I find a whole one too big, plus they are easier to work with when smaller). Then dip into melted chocolate and top with coatings (I like chopped peanuts and coconut, can use sprinkles, etc.), then wrap well and freeze again.

(mine are not this fancy!)

my sister does that too.....currently I have just been lazy and thrown whole bananas in the freezer with their peel on. those banana pops look Awesome!
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

My DD would looove those banana pops... must do that next time we get nanners. Thanks for the great idea!

The past couple of days I have been up to my ears in tomatoes (Food Basics deal last week)- the sauce has been simmering for ages and reduced like crazy... it's so sad to see only a few jars after all that work! I'll can the sauce and the chili sauce tonight.. hopefully I can post pics tomorrow.
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I finally christened my pressure canner!!! I bought 30 lbs of carrots at the No Frills sale and it made 28 quarts (with a few left over). It was super simple (I used the cold pack method), and hubby even helped out. Today I did 7 quarts of potatoes. With the bags I bought today I'll do 14 quarts of glazed carrots (orange juice and brown sugar). By the end of the sale I hope to have every quart I own full of potatoes or carrots, and 60 pints of beets (plain and pickled), and 30 pints of onions. Soon I'll be in search of more free/cheap jars. I know my shelves can hold 300 empty jars... I have no idea if it can withstand 300 full jars

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iggysbabysitter View Post
    I finally christened my pressure canner!!! I bought 30 lbs of carrots at the No Frills sale and it made 28 quarts (with a few left over). It was super simple (I used the cold pack method), and hubby even helped out. Today I did 7 quarts of potatoes. With the bags I bought today I'll do 14 quarts of glazed carrots (orange juice and brown sugar). By the end of the sale I hope to have every quart I own full of potatoes or carrots, and 60 pints of beets (plain and pickled), and 30 pints of onions. Soon I'll be in search of more free/cheap jars. I know my shelves can hold 300 empty jars... I have no idea if it can withstand 300 full jars
    That is just awesome... i never tried carrots that way... but now i want to... i have oj and brown sugar! LOL

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well I don't do a huge variety of things but I started my tomatoes today. I bought 8 bushels and this is about 5 1/3 of them. Got 100 liters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Patty You must be exhausted! Great job!!!
    Patty Smyth and Angela273 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Well I don't do a huge variety of things but I started my tomatoes today. I bought 8 bushels and this is about 5 1/3 of them. Got 100 liters.
    Wow patty so pretty!!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Neighbour has a tree full of crab apples she invited me to pick. Any good crab apple recipes? I tried some last year but they weren't tasty.
    Patty Smyth and cheekysaver like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Inlovewithblue View Post
    Neighbour has a tree full of crab apples she invited me to pick. Any good crab apple recipes? I tried some last year but they weren't tasty.
    Anytime you can find a imstillworkin youtube vid on canning you know you have a great source and recipe

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Inlovewithblue View Post

I like warm/hot jelly, and I make a lot of hot red pepper jelly. I save the seeds from the hot pepper, freeze in a small jar and use them to spice other jellies (I fill a metal tea ball with the frozen seeds and dangle in the pot as it simmers). When I make crab apple jelly I like to make a few batches of hot crab apple... I haven't made peach jam/jelly yet, but I'd love to try warm or hot peach

I like to use some crab apples in apple sauce, and I use it as a substitute for cranberry sauce. I haven't bought cranberry sauce in years. And because I get the crab apples for free I tend to use them as a base for other jellies or sauces (pear and apple sauce, banana apple sauce, rhubarb apple sauce), and if the mix is not popular with my family I use the apple sauces on the dehydrator to make fruit leather, or add to muffin mix... unloved jelly gets used as a tea syrup.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

13 liters of pickled beets, about 25 pounds worth they were on sale at Maxi $1.97 for a 10lb bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 25 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread Information