User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: Inappropriate Grocery Flyer Add

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    When I was in my 20's a friend of mine moved into into what was basically a seniors complex.

His neighbour was a creeky old guy with a van whose interior was entirely papered with pictures of women in underwear taken from the Sears catalogue.

Kinda funny, kinda sad.

She's got the sort of mature look you see on hair colour boxes, a flat chest, and man hands. Face it, she's no Kate Upton.

I don't think she'd even make the van.

Dead. On the floor. Lifeless

*Edit - I remember back in the day, might have been Sears might have been Zellers. The ads were photos of employees (or employees friends, something like that)
    Anyways, they used to list their names and what store they worked at or city they were from and they ended up removing it (Obviously breach of privacy)
    Probably because of buddy and his van haha

Quote Originally Posted by lessthannat View Post
    I am going to have to agree with some of the others here. I see nothing wrong with the add, hardly even noticed she was naked, the focus for me was the hair in this add and that's what my eye was automatically drawn to.

I am kinda tired of everybody being offended by everything though

Seriously. I know you can`t make everyone happy, but some people.
    Last edited by Candini; Mon, Feb 17th, 2014 at 12:55 PM.
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I do see problems with oversexualization of women, especially in the trash mags at SDM. Stuff like Kim Kardashian screaming she got her "sexy body back" after like 2 months after giving birth. Not everyone can afford liposuction and full time jobs get in the way of exercising all day and not everyone is photoshopped in every picture. I don't like the body image norms that they are enforcing in people (including myself)

That said, I personally think this ad is ok. To me, it focuses more on her hair than her nudity because of the angle she is facing. If she were more facing the camera, I'd say it would be sexualized. When I saw it I just skipped it over, it didn't scream "perfect body" to me, like so many other ads do. Have you seen those Ralph Lauren photoshopped models? I do like the clothes but those models look like giraffes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...k-THINNER.html
    Candini likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I wonder if this is just part of their marketing. Aren't they(Herbal Essences) the ones that had the "orgasmic type" commercials with the girls in the shower washing their hair and lets just say it sounds like they are having a jolly good time with the YES YES YES. Wasn't there even one with Dr Ruth in it? So it kind of makes me think its just part of their marketing. I broke out in a rash using their shampoo back then and never had the urge to relive that experience lol. Should be interesting to see what kind of TV commercials they do for this product line. That may be something to get really offended by. Oh my thoughts on the paper ad, Herbal Essences Naked, doesn't bother me, I just wish my hair would look that nice but I know using Shampoo and Conditioner isn't going to make that happen lol
    torontogal12 and Anna Michele like this.

senior canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (96%)

I completely agree with the original poster abt this grocery store flyer thing..Being a mom of girls ,I can totally relate to this that if we dont object such images now,One can wonder what will publish in grocery flyers next.
    There should be a limit to everything and posting such images in grocery flyers is totally inappropiate.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Why are people so ashamed of their (and others) bodies? I breast fed my last child and thee were people that found it discusting! Why do they find it discusting.. because they think of a breast only in a sexual way. Whats wrong with our culture that a woman cant feed their babies? SAD!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Y'll know that doesn't offened me but Clear is already taken by Unilever I thought the Herbal Essences "Naked" sounds cheeky marketing but they claim is no dyes and more purer shampoo the tv ad sounds kinda funny because of putting the naked hair pixelized instead of the naked body ha ha
    By all means young people shouldn't have to exposed to dumb marketing and should be looking at ads that promotes self-esteem and self-awareness like Dove

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by trishka View Post
    i saw this in the loblaws flyer and it didn't really seem to register. I did notice how good her hair looks though but i barely noticed that she was naked. But given the name of the product, i don't see anything wrong with this ad. I have seen much worse and ones with horrible innuendos.

I've always found it interesting that people get more offended by nakedness and sex than they do with violence. I'm talking about shows and movies that have a ton of violence (especially graphic violence) that no one seems to comment on, but the minute that someone (albeit, usually a woman) gets naked or sex is implied, it's all people talk about. The issue i have with the use of naked or nearly naked women in advertising is that it's often unnecessary to the product. You don't shower with clothes on (unless your a never nude) so having a woman who is naked and no "bits" are overtly showing does not seem bothersome to me.

The real problem is the over sexualization of women. Crazyqt asked "why do people always assume nakedness = sexual?" i'd say its because we have been conditioned to believe that when women get naked, something sexual is going to be involved. The oversexualization of women's breasts has caused us to forget what they're actually there for. Not something sexual but for providing nourishment to the tiny being that they just brought into this world. That story about a breast feeding mother being asked to leave a victoria secret store highlighted the issue that women's breasts are automatically considered sexual while men's are not. I agree that advertising is a problem to people (both male and female, young and old) as it creates unrealistic expectations but in this case, the only unrealistic expectation that i have from this ad is that my hair will look that good if i use this shampoo.
    you are awesome!!!!!!

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Binky5 View Post
    Why are people so ashamed of their (and others) bodies? I breast fed my last child and thee were people that found it discusting! Why do they find it discusting.. because they think of a breast only in a sexual way. Whats wrong with our culture that a woman cant feed their babies? SAD!
    It's funny because I come from a European background and infants are breastfed until they are toddlers, even older than that.
    I`ve seen it here and thought nothing of it but seen people giving cut eye to the woman and whispering.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find the whole 'sex' suggestions in ads to be cheesy myself. I like naked women, but it is not going to make me rush out and buy a product. It does seem to work or they would not use that.

If they were smart, they'd put bacon and cheese in ads, then that might entice me.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Ha, glad they didn't call it bare balls then!!!
    Candini likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Seriously... I've been having a good laugh at some of these rants and how they are so comical.. bt hands down you cannot be compared to. Sex sells... but seriously but I don't want it to sell me groceries. .. I jsut about had a field day on the floor!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information