User Tag List

Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does anyone have a good recipe for pickle relish?

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Harbie lots and lots of people do water bath canning on glass top ranges without a problem. It is a risk for sure and only you can decide if you want to attempt it. Here is some info before you do. Don't ever drag the canner across the counter top. Lift it away. If you can't lift the weight do your standard turn it off for 5 mins and let the jars cool and remove the jars then carefully bail it out until the pot is light enough to move safely.

Here are some ways I have seen water bath canning done on youtube. Misty Prepper (I think she is Mennonite so no electricity) she cans on a fire, bbq and a wood burning stove. Several people have canned on rocket stoves. Katzcradul cans on a glass top stove, both pressure canning and water bath. Some people can on turkey fryers too. Below I will put up a vid of Katzcrdul canning peaches on her glass top range.

What happens if you break the glass? For a standard range a replacement is around 500.. for a fancier stove top it is around 1K or more. Only you can really decide the risk but breaking a glass top while canning does happen... just not often at all. A bbq is a valid way to get er dun!
    walkonby, dahliagrower and BC Gal like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pettyfan4343 View Post
    Does anyone have a good recipe for pickle relish?
    I like million dollar relish... it's a sweet mustard base, I just toss in whatever I have laying around (cucs, zuchinni, pepppers, onion pieces or pearl onion, and cauliflower).

I have really horrible airflow in my kitchen and a glass top stove that I constantly worry about (but after 3 years of canning have yet to damage the top with a full American Standard pressure canner that holds 7 quart jars), so I bought a little 2 burner hotplate to try my canner on the patio I'd rather sit outside than make the house so humid.

I just broke out my pressure canner to deal with the huge amount of tomatoes that burst due to a rainstorm last night. I hate skinning them so I froze them a little, and tossed them into the blender with some fresh basil and sage and onions/chives. I should get about 8 or 10L of tomato soup base.
    Last edited by iggysbabysitter; Mon, Sep 1st, 2014 at 12:15 PM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I won't be saving any money, but the jars of stuff look ( and taste) awesome! lol.
    So far from 3 boxes of tomatoes from RCSS I yielded

16 x Litres of spaghetti sauce and
    13 x 500 ml salsa

from 2 bags beets
    pickled 9 x 250 ml jars

from approx. 2 lbs zucchini ( about 10 small ones )
    made 3 x 500 ml and one x 250 ml of zucchini relish

next I am going to try my hand at making some peach jam, I bought 3 baskets of them!!

also want to make some marmalade and some strawberry jams. Sigh no way to post pics yet.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I can't wait for the pictures Harbie.... LOL you always have the best pics! (FIL?)

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

The Jam is done!!
    3 containers of strawberries ended up giving me 3 x 500 ml jars and 1/2 jar for the fridge
    10 cups of small diced up peaches gave me 6 x 500 ml and 3/4 of a jar for the fridge.

I am sooo happy that I can make jam now using NO SUGAR!! I used a box of the " No sugar needed " Pectin, followed their specific instructions ( adding some unsweetened fruit juice/and or lemon juice, their powdered pectin, my own pure Stevia, just a scant amount ( NOT Truvia or other fake ones) to take the tart taste off each.
    Tomorrow I will tackle marmalade, after I search out some You Tube videos, I love watching other people, often it gives me courage to dive right in and try!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks Cheekysaver!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Love everyone's creations. This year I am keeping it simple. Tomatoes tomatoes tomatoes , I invested in a machine to skin and seed them what a lifesaver it took so little time to do the 6 bushels it was laughable. I am going to do about 6 more bushels then move on to beets.

My shiney new machine, covered it to not splash juice on it SO far 69 liters done I will probably get another 35 out of the remaining sauce I have to cook and jar up today.

bluerose, Kitty77, harbie and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Patty^^^^ I love it! ( I will dream I have one, I know I could not justify buying one, but the TIME you saved!! woot! woot!).
    I am probably going to get more tomatoes today and start again as the sauce I did up turned out very good. Sadly I only yeilded 16 Litres of sauce as I used some of the tomatoes to jar up salsa. Mmmm. Nice going with the amounts you have done already!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This thread could get me in a lot of trouble. I have already picked out a pressure canner I want and now more gadgets, yep this thread could get this girl in a lot of trouble.

So far I only dehydrate things, canning scares me a bit but my Mom cans. So far this year she has done Cherry Jam, Tomato Jam, Pizza Sauce and is currently working on Raspberry Jelly (raspberries are straining in the kitchen).
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Patty I just spent 2 hours looking at tomato mills after seeing that! Nice job! I hope your next batch is just as successful!
    Patty Smyth, walkonby and d.ot like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

SassyAshley this thread has got me into trouble!!! There are so many good ideas and gadgets and gizmos!
    SassyAshley and d.ot like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I did a big batch of pear & apple chuntney with all the fruit from MIL' s fruit trees. I'll post pics tomorrow cause I'm way to tired after doing all the chutney, making bread and 2 kinds of a curry dishes for dinner

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Nice!!! I hope you have a good sleep!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    Patty I just spent 2 hours looking at tomato mills after seeing that! Nice job! I hope your next batch is just as successful!
    It was pricey it retails for $599 I got it for $439 but I do NOT regret it. At first I was freaking out and trying to justify it but no longer . Should have bought one years ago.

By the way DH dehydrated the tomato skins seeds and core and we got 1.5 liters of tomato powder so apart from 3 rotten ones and a few bad chunks i cut off there was zero waste.

This is the one I got

http://www.creativecookware.com/OMRA...P1637C485.aspx

It was worth the price for the .5 HP and the splash guard is a lifesaver
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Wed, Sep 3rd, 2014 at 07:53 AM.

Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast

Thread Information