User Tag List

Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    I just canned up my daughters chili yesterday... did honey garlic sauce from the store (1gallon jug to pint size)... made cherry bbq sauce. Yup the canning is still going on.
    I wondered where you have been...I just gotmy pressure canner going..glad you checked in. I have a question re dry canning ground beef. I have watched a video of someone doing it a few years ago but they haven't commented on how it stored a year later. Have you done this cheeky saver? What are the results?

I pickrd up up a tomato strainer on Kijiji for $15 bucks yesterday. It is an older presto model but works well and looks similar to a Victorio. Got 2 25 lb boxes of tomatoes from metro for $6.99 each. Had to go to 2 stores as they only got in 1 box at each store..which I find bizarre! Anyways finishing up plain sauce and tomato juice from 1 box. What I did ( as I saw someone do on utube was cut tomatoes into 1/4ers and put on stove to heat up. Then dh helped run it through strainer. Then I ran it through sieve to make it less watery so I don't have to cook it so long. Kept all the juice which I just finished canning while sauce continued to reduce. Juice is a bit separated but will just add it to veggie or chicken soup for extra flavour . Seemed to make sense and why waste it evaporating it. Sauce is very tomatoey tasting. So happy with results. I put them in pressure canner just cause I find it easier to use. I think I will wait a couple of days and make stewed tomatoes and tomatoe soup with next box.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The precooked ground beef stores very well. It took about 2.5 years but we used ours all up. We used it mostly for things like tacos and chili. I makes for such a fast taco night. put the meat on the heat and add the taco seasoning... pull out a bag of salad to go on... use preshredded cheese and you can have dinner ready in 5 mins. Bacon we also used all up. It cooks up into a perfect crumble for pizza and salad topping. It also lasted well over 2 years. What did not last as long (I live in a apartment with no AC) were fruit products. They are better to use up within a year. They can loose color, flavor and just not be as appealing. It totally depends on what you use up in your house. I do not recommend making hundreds of jars of jam, pie fillings, fruit, jellies and syrups because you can only eat so much of it. LOL Mom almost grabbed a can of cranberry sauce in the store yesterday and I said omg don't you dare! I have enough for all of us!

Mom has a longer shelf life than I do. Her canning is stored in her basement cold room and stays 50 - 55f year round. My place ranges from 76 -90's f.
    tobiwobi, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks cheeky saver, I will try the dry canned ground beef, and some chicken soup, trying to stock up on items that will make meals easier. Will do potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, maybe some chili. Won't do too much fruit. Just some applesauce. Thought about peaches but after making my mom some peach jam, it cured me of that notion, trying to peel and pit the peaches made me realize it would be way to much work to try and get nice slices, so I am glad I didn't buy a pile of peaches. Maybe I will freeze a few for smoothies.
    Tomorrow I will finish off the tomatoes and take a break for a couple of days.
    i have been trying to find an approved recipe for canning vegetarian chili for Dh. Have you seen any?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Thanks cheeky saver, I will try the dry canned ground beef, and some chicken soup, trying to stock up on items that will make meals easier. Will do potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, maybe some chili.
    The canned ground beef is great to have on hand and frees up so much freezer space.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

BTW, I wrote to the National Center for Home Food Preservation to ask about dry canning ground beef, and they wrote back to me and said they expressly recommend against dry canning ground beef; they say there is risk involved because of density issues inside the jar. So I stick to canning mine by the USDA and Ball Blue Book procedures.

I do form ground pork sometimes into seasoned meatballs and patties; you can do that, and it is great for pasta nights, along with a jar of your home canned tomato sauce.

I freeze the broth off of jars of home canned ground beef to use for soups and sauces; it's pure beef stock basically!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I saw that sale on those Bernardin 1/2 litre (pint) jars at Home Hardware, too. I grabbed 5 boxes 'cause I figured that was about as good as the price was gonna get this year. Apparently the price of jars has gone crazy in the states, too, and in fact even at Walmart in the states, the Ball jars are more than the Bernardin jars are here, oddly. I wish they would put some wide-mouth jars on sale.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Oulton View Post
    BTW, I wrote to the National Center for Home Food Preservation to ask about dry canning ground beef, and they wrote back to me and said they expressly recommend against dry canning ground beef; they say there is risk involved because of density issues inside the jar. So I stick to canning mine by the USDA and Ball Blue Book procedures.

I do form ground pork sometimes into seasoned meatballs and patties; you can do that, and it is great for pasta nights, along with a jar of your home canned tomato sauce.

I freeze the broth off of jars of home canned ground beef to use for soups and sauces; it's pure beef stock basically!
    I totally understand why people should follow the rules when it comes to canning. Below are my personal reasons why we decided not to. You really need to make those choices for yourself.
    We do cook ground beef most of the way through. Some of the water is left in the meat itself when we can. It never looks dry in the can. The texture far improved over browning then adding water to the jar. I can't see where there could possibly be a density issue when we can raw pack pork, beef, chicken and various other meats into the jar as tight as we can get them. That just doesn't make sense. I wish they would do some further testing and confirm it because right now the only thing that seems like it has density issues are the things coming out of their heads. Don't even get me started on the canning dairy stuff... I do that too. Here is why... it is liquid... has some protein fine... so it gets pressure canned. The fine people at nestle have been canning evaporated milk for years... and it is more than double strength milk. That is why it is so thick, and yet they manage. If they can handle it thicker with commercial grade canners we can do it with regular milk no problem. There is also chocolate milk drinks in tetra packs (uht packs) on shelves at the store. They use a canning process for that as well. We do need to do things safely....and we need to use our brains and tell them when they are full of crap too. I really wish the Ball, Bernardin, USDA and other groups would put their money where their mouths are and follow up with real testing.... Or one day... WE the canners will.
    (this is not to bash you at all Randal, we need real info from the sources and it is frustrating that they avoid such basic research.)

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    Thanks cheeky saver, I will try the dry canned ground beef, and some chicken soup, trying to stock up on items that will make meals easier. Will do potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, maybe some chili. Won't do too much fruit. Just some applesauce. Thought about peaches but after making my mom some peach jam, it cured me of that notion, trying to peel and pit the peaches made me realize it would be way to much work to try and get nice slices, so I am glad I didn't buy a pile of peaches. Maybe I will freeze a few for smoothies.
    Tomorrow I will finish off the tomatoes and take a break for a couple of days.
    i have been trying to find an approved recipe for canning vegetarian chili for Dh. Have you seen any?
    I make 3 types of chili, tomato free, with tomatoes and green chili. All of them have meat and are made to taste. Maybe somebody else will have a great recipe!
    Davetherave likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just finished the 2nd 25 lb box of tomatoes. Made all stewed tomatoes/plain tomatoes. So tired. I think that is it for me for tomatoes. Got Will take a break...unless I find some super deal I can't pass up.
    Taking the skins and seed(big bowl) to my neighbour who has chickens. They love the stuff and she is quite happy to get it. Dh said it was a riot watching the chickens go crazy over the to tomatoe left overs so I will go this time and watch.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canned 10 pints of brandied pears yesterday using the organic pears I got at walmart as part of the 5 bags of reduced,produce I purchased Tuesday for $5. They were small pears but in great shape. Will use at Christmas dinner over ice cream for dessert. Up next beets. I will supply pressure canner, neighbour has a bumper crop of beets so will supply beets, will share the end result.
    Davetherave likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Canadian tire had some wide mouth jars on sale this month.
    cheekysaver and Davetherave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Are you sure they were on sale? They have been "making mention" of their preserving stuff for the past 3 weeks in their flyers, without specifically saying what was on sale. When you go to the store (we've been checking the Leslie Street store in Toronto), all you actually see is "Great Value" signs hung over the preserving jars, including the wide mouths, but the prices were all the same usual prices! Very deceptive and sneaky; so far not a single preserving thing has been on sale at all in August at Crappy Tire. If your local store had the wide mouths on sale, you were lucky! Here's a sample of one of their "deceptive" ads; I guess it's not really deceptive as they don't say the stuff is on sale, but it is in a sales flyer.

Name:  asdf.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  44.1 KB

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The Canadian Tire store close to me has skids and skids of jars. Mostly golden harvest. If they put out a scratch card event and they are on sale that might work out. The best part about CT is you can get canning supplies year round. Now is just a good time because they have stock. Unless there is a good sale WM usually has better prices.
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Canned 8x 1 litre jars of pears today, I used 1/3 of the amount we picked for free from an add I posted on a local facebook page. Someone allowed us to pick their pear tree, we ended up with 2 large bushels full. Processed the 1/3 today as they were ripe, will most likely can the rest later this coming week as they ripen. It was a lot of peeling but heck it's free, just my time and we will appreciate later this winter when the prices of fruits are bonkers.

Also canned homemade Tuscan tomato sauce 16x 250ml that is concentrated, add cream when cooking, great for quick meals when I forget to take something out. Also canned 3x 1 litre of tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes left to process but not quite ripe yet again later this week or early next.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Why is it called Tuscan tomato sauce? (That's great about the free fruit!)

Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast

Thread Information