User Tag List

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Like Tree5834Likes

Thread: September 2015 Frugal Chatter Thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Morning! I survived the night. Fed the kids and kitchen/dining room is mostly clean. They are in the middle of another Nerf gun battle lol. I'm keeping 2 friends plus mine till mid afternoon to help out. The others should be picked up in the next hour. Cleaning out the fridge for lunch. Corn on the cob, hot dogs, pasta. Dinner tonight I am thinking a lazy night on the couch with Chinese! Oldest works till 10 tonight. $$$$$$! I am so happy for him! And me! I'm no longer a bank machine!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Oh and we have hockey this afternoon too. Local. Rainy day so will be good to get out for a bit. To a cold arena!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Hot chocolate sales might be good at the arena. Just bring along a baked goodie and you are set, @Frugalbigmama . I have to ask, do you find the cold arena air means that you have to keep using moisturizer to ward off chapped skin?

This is the kind of weather (wet/sunny/ wash and wear wind) suitable for cleanup jobs, tackling weeds in flowerbeds or getting other yard work done. I'm waiting for Fortino's to put its paper bags (5pk) on sale for $1.99. I noticed that Home Depot has a discount on its 25 bag pk but I don't need that many.

I was at the Mt. Hamilton cemetery and noticed that some gravesites obviously get regular tending and other sites might have tall thistles (i.e. no one is coming to do the weeding regularly). I removed thistles from a plot for late family friends then noticed one row away the same thistles in someone's plot so yanked them out. Plan to return next week with hand gardening tools to cut the grass between the stones and give the soil in the flowerbed some raking/levelling. Would like to put some tulip bulbs to add colour to the space for spring-Home Hardware has a 25 bulb pack on sale for $9.97 so I have to get to a store next week.

Today will be a good one for making a rosemary focaccia-have to put those rosemary leaves purchased from Sobeys on sale to use!

I am envious of those SCers in Fabricland West (ern Canada) who can use the 50% off Burda Patterns offer to get new looks! Offer is not shown in the Ontario Region 1 flyer. Have to figure out where to get fall pant fabrics that I will wear.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Trying to find inspiration for dinner, Mom is working till 7 so I need to find something I can eat and she can reheat later as I do not think I can wait until after 8 pm tonight to eat without ALOT of snacking. One of the downsides to us working such opposite shifts. Nothing is jumping out at me,m I want something different but I do not want to stop at the store on the way home so I need to have everything needed on hand. Thinking about giving up and just making pasta.
    Crochetlady, Lynn49, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Like Crochetlady posted, I find very little in coupons for products that we use. Just the two of us here, and we don't eat much in the way of processed foods, we don't contaminate our home with "smellies" (I have asthma so I don't need my condition exacerbated by toxins), and coupons for things such as fresh fruits, veggies, meats are mostly non-existent.
    (Hubby does upload PC points for those when he sees them)
    We don't store more than what we need for the next time we run out (okay, maybe bathroom tissue)...if we find coupons for particular brands of household products we use, then we'll use them. Other than that......sales are the way we go.
    same here. i do well with loyalty programs. (sdm - long time addict, air miles...6 months in, pc points...just started)

i also do well with cc points. we pay off balance each month and use points for gift cards. (i like to get sdm).

coupons...there are lots for processed and with us being a gluten light household not much use. But some.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    So how's this for keeping an eye on your kids while they're in school?

Our DD just told me that she gets HOURLY updates on their son's behavior in class on her iphone!! Every hour on the hour there's a little icon and note that lets her know what he's been up to!! Only one note said that he didn't put up his hand to answer a question, the others were fine!!

So....would you all like to know how your kids are doing every hour of every day at school?!
    Our DD sure does, lol....And evidently it doesn't take the teacher any time at all...she wears something around her neck and taps on it when she has a moment and it goes out to the parents!!

I can guess there are some parents somewhere who may not want that kind of instant information...
    as both teacher and parent, no thanks. use that time to engage children, not be on a screen.
    Last edited by Granger; Sat, Sep 19th, 2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: one hand typing errors
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@saundyl it didn't come with a setup disc...sigh. I had to connect Ethernet cable from modem to new router. Then another Ethernet cable from router to laptop. We've done this twice now and cannot connect to the internet.

I have decided I will return this router, purchase router from internet provider and they can do the configurations from their office on my laptop and hopefully bring home & all should be good.

We are PPOE (dsl) which is what I selected during setup...sigh
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@SassyAshley I think that whatever the situation or problem is that you were seeking advice depends on many factors
    1. delivery of point of view or bringing up an uncomfortable subject for either party
    2. to redirect the point or subject matter once the other person gets dis-engaged or feels attacked
    3. Positive re-inforcement - always say 1 positive thing about the matter as there is always 1 positive point to a situation (you may need to dig for this BUT it's there)
    4. come away from the discussion or situation feeling like you put your best foot forward AND don't let the others persons reactions make you 2nd guess the discussion

GOOD luck - keep us posted about how it went
    Crochetlady, Lynn49, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@YOU AND ME hope you are relaxing after your long day yesterday. I hope you will post pictures of your new kitchen once it's all done and you can't imagine it looking the other way. I always like to take before and after pictures to remind myself of how good things look.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I have a triple batch of chili in the slow cooker it's very full. The guys can eat chili once a week while out hunting moose perhaps it will channel the moose in the area (haha).

I organized my chest freezer this past week with bins we had lying around from the cottage, my bins contain all the fresh pears, apples, beans, rhubarb and some tomatoes in mason jars.

I need to re-organize my upright as I spread out all the reduced goodies (meats) for a quick freeze. So I will shortly go down and place the items on the shelves they belong.

My upright is organized by shelves each shelves contains
    pork meats
    fish and chicken/turkey meats
    beef and moose
    and last shelf is the fast cook yes processed items.

Inquiring Minds want to Know!!!

Is your freezer or freezers organized and if so how or what do you do to organize them?????

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @saundyl it didn't come with a setup disc...sigh. I had to connect Ethernet cable from modem to new router. Then another Ethernet cable from router to laptop. We've done this twice now and cannot connect to the internet.

I have decided I will return this router, purchase router from internet provider and they can do the configurations from their office on my laptop and hopefully bring home & all should be good.

We are PPOE (dsl) which is what I selected during setup...sigh
    That sounds frustrating! Actually sounds more like the router itself is the issue because wifi should only have to be setup once and then no need for anything else to direct connect.

Odd that there was no setup media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I very pointedly ask bfs ex when she plans to move her stuff out of the shop as the deadline is the 30th and she hasn't moved a thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Crochetlady, Lynn49, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

It`s been a rainy day here. Hubby`s making more applesauce for the freezer and I`m crocheting.

Today is our 28th wedding anniversary. We don`t have any plans for tonight...will probably go out for dinner somewhere tomorrow night.
    saundyl, Lynn49, Ciel and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Crochetlady - Congratulations on your anniversary!

Crochetlady, Lynn49, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!

My current favourite pirate:

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well I cannot say it has been a frugal week. Bought our plane tickets for next summer for our house exchange in England, visiting my Mum in Toronto on the way back and then to Illinois for a family wedding and Indiana to see my sister. I did get really good seat sales and used some aeroplan pts so it was cheaper than expected. Today we went to IKEA. DD wanted a new single bed as her room is small with her current double. It is a daybed so can be used as a seating area, single bed or trundle double bed. She bought that with some of her savings from summer work and it will be a piece of furniture she can take with her when she moves out later. We also bought a new queen mattress there as ours is getting a little saggy-so I guess we will be like SA moving and constructing furniture all weekend-it is to be delivered tonight as we don't have a truck. Anyway the money is in our savings account to pay for these planned purchases and I think my DD will be happy with it once we get her set up. I guess DH and I will continue to work PT to fund my travel habit-the good thing is we both like to keep a little bit busy working.
    Crochetlady, Lynn49, Ciel and 7 others like this.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread Information