User Tag List

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you get into canning a lot, one thing you might want to look at over time is adding some Tattler reusable canning lids to your collection. They do take a bit of getting used to, for sure, compared to the one-piece metal lids. But they work with all your regular canning jars and rings. A Tattler lid in Canada is about a dollar a lid, and you can use it forever. A Bernardin lid is about 30 cents (unless you luck out on a sale) and they emphasize over and over they only guarantee it for a single use. 30 cents adds a LOT to the cost of that jar you just made; sometimes it's more than I paid for the ingredients in the jar. Anyhow, after three uses of a Tattler lid, it's paid for itself, and from thereon in, it's gravy. I particularly like them with high-use stuff like soups, etc, so they get freed up fast for more rounds of service. (As opposed to on a jar of say cranberry sauce, where they might linger for a full year till the holidays come round.)

Here's some info I have compiled on these lids, pros and cons and quirks, etc: http://www.healthycanning.com/tattle...r-home-canning

Note that the National Center for Home Food Preservation is currently conducting a study on Tattler lids.

p.s. OH, and always only gift jars with metal lids on them, until you know for sure the person is a good jar returner. I had a few idjits toss my Tattler lids in recycling and I was p*ssed lol.
    Last edited by Randal Oulton; Sun, Oct 25th, 2015 at 11:05 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a bunch of tatler lids on clearance at canadian tire but haven't gotten up the nerve to try them!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    I bought a bunch of tatler lids on clearance at canadian tire but haven't gotten up the nerve to try them!
    They are awesome! Mom bought a bunch of them.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I remembered someone saying they bought some at Canadian Tire on clearance, and I've been checking the crappy tires in Toronto and Brantford, but no luck....

Tattler has a facebook support page here: https://www.facebook.com/reusablecanninglids?fref=ts

I feel weird when I'm putting 10 cents worth of green beans into a pint jar, and then putting a disposable 30 cent metal lid on it! Feels kinda like I've lost the plot; feels more normal again when I am using a Tattler lid instead.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Last night I canned 3 large roasts, they look awesome, all sealed, 10 pints and 1/2 pint of leftover broth. Earlier in the week I did pork loin.. One jar didn't seal so had 2 meals out of it. Very yummy. Today dehydrating potatoes. Maybe Sunday I will do turkey soup base. Just broth and some turkey meat left over from thanksgiving. Originally I was going to do turkey soup but decided the veggies will get too mushy so decided to do just the base and will add veggies when I cook it. That will,probably be it for me for a while as I have to do all the housecleaning that I neglected while doing all this canning and start getting ready for Christmas. Besides I am almost out of jars and none has any deals anymore. Was at loblaws on wed hoping to get the clearance lids that I missed at the other loblaws the week I was in toronto. ..no lids at all but was excited to see 4 boxes of canning jars on clearance rack. 1 wide mouth. Pints, 2 reg pints and 1 1/2 pint. No pricing on them so took to cash hoping for a good deal but all were regular price. So as I was putting them back store manager went buy and asked why I was putting them back. Too expensive and I am disappointed not on sale as on clearance rack. He said they have. O where else to put them. I suggested he could get rid of his storage problem by slapping 50%,off pink stickers!on the. And I would take them all. Sadly no he wasn't willing to do it. Will keep my eye on them.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Was at loblaws on wed hoping to get the clearance lids that I missed at the other loblaws the week I was in toronto. ..no lids at all but was excited to see 4 boxes of canning jars on clearance rack.
    Yep. Leslie Street Loblaws in Toronto had their jars half price last year to get rid of them.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yup it is a great time of the year to be watching for the deals on jars. I have fond memories of when lowes used to carry them and put them on deep discount!
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So far I haven't found any deals and as I am almost out of jars! Yikes. I think I canned a lot more than I thought I woulda taking a bit of a break for a bit as have lots,of things to do...but you never know...it is a bit like a drug...need my canning fix. Lol...though I bought a bunch of raspberries cheap so that means more freezer jam for dm as part of Christmas gift. Also think I will make her praline syrup as she loves that kind of thing and I can keep one jar here in case we have company and it would be easy dessert with ice cream.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Haven't canned anything in a couple of months, but for Christmas DH got me the victorious steam canner, which I used the pot to make a large batch of Turkey broth from our Christmas turkey. It was a nice big pot so got a lot of broth. Also got the jiggler for my pressure canner and a second rack so I can do 2 layers to be more efficient. Also got the food saver vacuum canisters to seal my jars of dehydrated stuff to help them last longer. Also got another 2 boxes of tattler lids in my stocking.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Haven't canned anything in a couple of months, but for Christmas DH got me the victorious steam canner, which I used the pot to make a large batch of Turkey broth from our Christmas turkey. It was a nice big pot so got a lot of broth. Also got the jiggler for my pressure canner and a second rack so I can do 2 layers to be more efficient. Also got the food saver vacuum canisters to seal my jars of dehydrated stuff to help them last longer. Also got another 2 boxes of tattler lids in my stocking.
    You did very well, that is a canner's dream. The jiggler and second rack will change your life. You can never have too many tattlers, I rely on them completely for most of my canning, so that a jar of something that costs 7 cents for the ingredients doesn't have 30 cents in throwaway lid costs added onto it. I use my Victorio steam canner for all kinds of things; I have the model with the glass lid. It's a darn good high quality pot, even though it's made in China, clearly the Utah company it was made for set very high standards. I will never go back to water bath canning unless I'm somewhere I don't have access to my steam canner. I save a fortune in water and fuel costs with it.

I live in Ontario with an electric stove and don't want to have to send Premier Wynne one more da*n penny in electricity costs than I have to. With the latest heart-breaking electricity increases yesterday, I wouldn't dare water bath can anymore on an electric stove in Ontario.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So my neighbour dropped off several boxes of old canning jars. They are crown and dated 1943 with glass lids there are and metal ring. Does anybody know if they originally came with rubber rings? I can't imagine canning with them but they will be awesome for storing food and things. Anybody know anything about these jars?
    macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Yes i believe I have some kicking around and they do have a rubber ring!!
    Pretty storage jars though!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So my neighbour dropped off several boxes of old canning jars. They are crown and dated 1943 with glass lids there are and metal ring. Does anybody know if they originally came with rubber rings? I can't imagine canning with them but they will be awesome for storing food and things. Anybody know anything about these jars?
    Those jars can be used for dry storage, or refrigerated storage (items such as pickled eggs etc that you don't can for unrefrigerated storage), or if you split a huge jar of minced garlic from Costco with a friend, etc. I've currently got a jar of cherry-pit vinegar in one of them in the fridge -- waste not, want not :}

As you say, they are now actively recommended against for shelf-stable canning use by every canning authority out there: National Center, USDA, Ball, Bernardin, etc.

You have probably seen the rubber rings a million times out of the corner of your eye in passing on store shelves :}

Name:  viceroy.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  32.2 KB
    Last edited by Randal Oulton; Tue, Jan 5th, 2016 at 05:19 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I use those old jars with the normal tin lids. New lids are as much as rubber rings. Good to know on the taddler lids, as I have seen them at Canadian tire and now will check the price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Canned 5 pints of chicken, and 6 quarts of broth with 1/3 chicken in them to use as a chicken soup starter. Didn't want to add veggies as they are pressure canned for so long thought veggies would get too mushy. Love the jiggler thingy so much easier than watching the gauge like a hawk! Love it. Thinking about steam canning some oranges and grapefruit next week to see how that goes. Also when I was in loblaws today they had canning lids for $1.44 so I picked up a bunch. dollarama had increased the price to $2 so thought I would stock up. Now for some cheap jars, that would make me really happy! Also found the rubber rings at Canadian tire a few weeks back so bought about 7 boxes for my old crown canning jars. It took a while to clean them up and run through the dishwasher, dry all the pieces, put them back together with rubber rings, glass lids and metal rings and down into basement. Very neat old jars! Just finished sanitizing my dehydrator after dehydrating spinach and kale only to find out they were part of recall so had to do a good bleach soak just in case. What a pain in the patootie! At least I got my money back.
    macw1960, walkonby and Davetherave like this.

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast

Thread Information