User Tag List

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree2553Likes

Thread: January 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Today was not as productive as I was aiming for but hey it happens and I am good with it.

All of the laundry is done, folded and put away. My sheets are washed (just waiting for my comforter to be done). Took out of the garbage I gathered up yesterday and cleaned off my car which hasn't moved in about 3 weeks.

I have discovered I am actually quite happy to just hang out at home. I know some people who go insane if they do not get out at least every other day but not me I can spend 2 weeks at home and be completely happy.

I had hoped to get some cooking done for the week to come but it did not get done but that is okay. I remembered we have a manager's meeting Wednesday so no food needed as we will be fed. I think I am going to get creative and use up various bit and pieces, I have quite a few part loaves of various fruit breads that I think I will use for breakfasts.

Off to do some binge watching on Netflix. Have a great night everyone
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar -it is not the gas bill that is the issue-it's the lack of a recent furnace inspection as the third party working for gas supplier had to relight the furnace, dryer, hot water heater and stove to ensure all were on after new meter was installed. The fact that the heating contractor did not keep the appointment on Friday does not seem to have inspired sibling to call someone in on the weekend, even if its pricey. Dad is the stick in the mud in this whole matter. This situation is going to be pricey in that if the shutoff proceeds, there will be more money having to be spent to restore service and as you can see in the article link, that reconnection might take 48h after paperwork is completed and indicating correction reports regarding dryer issue and furnace inspection are signed off and sent to gas supplier. If the gas shutoff happens before the contractor visit, well someone is going to be making money and not feeling the cold in the house. Even if contractor comes and does the corrections, I don't know how fast the gas supplier will move on reports to notify the mobile crew of paperwork update.

Good thing the reports were not Type A/red tags-those are immediate gas shutoff situations.

My lottery ticket last night did not win anything-that was my faint hope idea.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Will try to keep it brief...

$85 in sales this week. Also donated 12 boxes/kitchen bags of "stuff" that just isn't worth my time to organize and sell. I kept the easy turnover items. Got rid of a few items for free too, which encouraged some sales of my other items.

The doctor's best prognosis of my symptoms is mono. I seem to be over the worst, but must take it easy (especially back to work tomorrow - half days though). I mostly feel like I have a lack of energy and just don't feel like myself. He checked me over and said I was recovering. He didn't offer bloodwork for confirmation (but it was a Fri night), but did say that I should come in again if my symptoms worsen.

@Angela273 sorry about your van. I am glad you reported it. We chose not to for a hit and run of one of our vehicles and had nothing but problems with it after. I feel now had we reported it and gone through insurance things may have been better off. The reason we didn't was that vehicle was replaced as a result of a no fault, black ice, accident and we feared increasing rates. Not sure what the right thing to do in our case was, but I am glad that vehicle is gone and yours will get the attention it needs.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Granger, with mono you have to really watch your physical activity for quite some time, you can rupture your spleen. No jumping jacks or marathons for you for awhile!
    I hope you mend quickly, working, 3 little ones and mono sound like a bit of an overload to me.

I got lots of housework done today and yesterday my husband and I made and smoked (smoker still going) 25 pounds of pepperoni from deer. Not the funnest job in the world but on the upside i definitely wont be buying pepperoni for a long time!!
    My clean the freezer is going well, we have eaten all the fresh stuff and will be out of milk so that is on my list of things to buy tomorrow. I have my list and will be sticking to it!!! I may have to extend this personal challenge into February, our freezers are still going to be well stocked at the end of the month!! I am going to do a batch cooking day on Tuesday with my daughter, mostly soups, chicken tortilla, and Dal Pak, an Indian soup with lentils, spinach and lots of spice, I also put diced ham in it and maybe a chicken coconut Thai soup if we want to go all out!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

up at 4.30 -uggg at least I did some laundry cheaper
    -hubby off to work today with the kiddies
    -talked to my daughter yesterday -her and her hubby took Sebastian to a free swim in Toronto -he was amazed at all the sights and babies -he loved it ,she needed to order her hubby some gloves as she lost one of his and a few sleepers for the baby -so I offered to use my hbc mastercard and save her 15% so she saved 15.00 on her order -she will pay me this weekend when we go to babysit Sebastian cant wait to see him -he will be 4 months on jan 13

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Monday! So happy the kids are back in school! I made nacho dip yesterday for DS so packing his lunch was a breeze this morning. Started the day off with egg on a toasted English muffin with cheese!

My man is off today and will do the 2nd coat of paint in the livingroom today. He did all the trim etc yesterday after the 1st coat and it looks fantastic. He will do the closet trim today (he waited till today to do the trim entering the room since the kids were home yesterday and worried it would get touched lol) So motivated! Now he is planning when to do the kitchen flooring!

I spent just over $30 at No Frills on Saturday (I had spend $30 get 3000 PC PTS and had a few other point offers) Lots of fresh stuff and great deal on 1 Litre Chocolate milk .88 cents. I fill a reuseable drinking box for for DS in his lunch. (cheaper then paying school for milk and then I know he received it for sure!) Price matched cucumbers and mini carrots from GT .88 cents each (points for Cucumbers) I also picked up Wonder hamburger buns. I have a family pack of ground beef thawing in fridge (my honey picked up for .99 LB so it was $3.98 for 4 LBS) Making 8 burgers for the buns and then the rest will be made into nacho meat. So a great weekend all around!
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Mon, Jan 9th, 2017 at 10:58 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Soaking up the sun in BA and boarding the cruise ship tomorrow.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Granger take care of yourself and I'm so glad you kept your doctor's appointment, one just never knows
    @Ciel thank you for the clarification I obviously misunderstood, hope things get resolved before they cut the gas
    @thriftygranny love reading about your batch cooking. I once mentioned to MIL we should do this and she pretended she didn't hear me (haha), oh well.

It was a very productive weekend, I got dh to pick me up 2 large accordion file folders from Dollarama, I use them to do my filing, much simpler that the enormous filing cabinet. 2016 is all filed away and 2017 folders are all made up and organized

I have the medical prescription/reimbursements copied and ready to be mailed. Going forward in 2017 I will be putting all reimbursements in a new account for family vacation

My desk is tidy and organized so feeling good, no clutter.

Supper tonight is Italian sausages on a bun w/ ceasar salad. I'm getting dh to pickup milk on his way home and I will be getting him to get a few staples this week on his way home from work, I'm just waiting to see if the new set of flyers will have better deals.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Have a great vacation, I can't wait to hear about your adventures when you return.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Well enjoy your trip and the sun, snowing in Calgary and really darn cold.....perhaps I am a little envious!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @Granger take care of yourself and I'm so glad you kept your doctor's appointment, one just never knows
    @Ciel thank you for the clarification I obviously misunderstood, hope things get resolved before they cut the gas
    @thriftygranny love reading about your batch cooking. I once mentioned to MIL we should do this and she pretended she didn't hear me (haha), oh well.

It was a very productive weekend, I got dh to pick me up 2 large accordion file folders from Dollarama, I use them to do my filing, much simpler that the enormous filing cabinet. 2016 is all filed away and 2017 folders are all made up and organized

I have the medical prescription/reimbursements copied and ready to be mailed. Going forward in 2017 I will be putting all reimbursements in a new account for family vacation

My desk is tidy and organized so feeling good, no clutter.

Supper tonight is Italian sausages on a bun w/ ceasar salad. I'm getting dh to pickup milk on his way home and I will be getting him to get a few staples this week on his way home from work, I'm just waiting to see if the new set of flyers will have better deals.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day
    LoL on the mother in law pretending not to hear you!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Started my baby box for my friend that is expecting twins this summer. Not the best deal but pampers wipes are on for $2.88 at No Frills. Used $2 off coupon x 4.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Update on today's gas drama:

Just after 9am, the gas supplier tech showed up and knocked at door. Courteous and confirmed reason for visit. Was willing to give a bit of time extension but if certain things not done by ___ o'clock (as we told him a service visit was supposed to happen soon (we expected word to be kept today), he had to shut off gas. Said a couple of obvious things that I had told family earlier last week. He checked the dryer and glanced at furnace and looked at main floor and said we could have had a third report for old smoke alarm and no CO alarm on the floor. He told us to get a sealed smoke/CO combo alarm. Also said there is a law regarding boilers and getting repairs done within 49 days due to danger if boilers are not safe. The need for annual furnace check should be done Oct 15- Dec? and inspection is good for a year.

As that person left, heating company tech showed up. (80 of the 90min window had elapsed-it was going on 9:30am and I was thinking a second no-show). Bro was with tech during service visits and corrections-reports taken by tech to submit to gas supplier.

-just under $200 for heating service visit and corrections reports.
    -brother and I searched ConsumerReports (many libraries allow you to log into their online resources to access CR content) for combo alarms-we had to get photoelectric for our kitchen. Please read all of the CR alarm content about placement and features because everyone's house is different and each level needs alarms. (If you have a hardwired alarm system, find out if there is a secondary backup battery system of a kind that will work if the power is off. You don't want to lose family and home like the one in East Gwillimbury did two years ago because their hardwired system was located near the dryer and failed-the family perished in second floor bedroom of parent ill in bed).
    We checked Cdn Tire, Home Depot, Lowes and Home Hardware. HD did not have stock of the alarms shown on website, CT carries a few brands and certain models, Lowes has First Alert models and Home Hardware did not have First Alert alarms.
    Brother bought a First Alert smoke/CO combo 10yr sealed alarm (it's photoelectric) for $65+ HST.
    https://www.lowes.ca/smoke-carbon-mo...rm=first-alert
    It has a voice feature that activated when I twisted on the mounting bracket onto the alarm. Had to do a test-don't have little ears near you when it goes off (two different signals) after the initial voice prompt if you want French for the voice operation. Read the back label on alarm before you put on the mounting plate (there are two screws and rubber screw guards? included too)-if you take off the deactivation tab and slide the tab down, you cannot reactivate the alarm!)
    -put the new smoke/CO alarm up in hallway and the alarm sticker at eyelevel next to doorway. This alarm has dark grey boldface print on the white alarm, so you can read the text. I noticed many less expensive models or other brands have raised white text on white plastic-that can be hard to read by older eyes. YMMV.

-old CO plugin alarm (would have expired in 2012) and old photoelectric alarm have been taken down-have to get them disposed of-will check if fire hall will take them; I cannot go to a haz waste site so I'd have to find a community day for haz waste that allows walkups in the parking lot if fire hall does not take old units. Removed old instruction inserts from our box of manuals. Have marked new bag of alarm documents to be kept in living room manual storage area as that is close to the alarm location.

-gas supplier is going to return to verify all corrections have been done and new alarm is in place later today.

*Please copy and paste this post and yesterday's post into Word, print it out and do a check of your alarms (their expiry dates/test the batteries too while you are at it) on all levels and have a discussion with your household about replacement alarms and any inspections.* All of this could have been avoided if our household was all on board with safety and money but it's not the case and Dad thinks its not his concern. If brother had not made the calls and spent the money, the gas would have been off this morning. Those of you with onboard spouses/significant others/caring family-keep posting as you give me strength to fight the fight at home on this matter and others.

Thank you for your interest and caring! Procrastination was going to cost a whole lot more if the shutoff occurred.
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Jan 9th, 2017 at 12:53 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Granger -glad you had the appt! Please don't wait so long next time you have a health concern-you are a dear SCer and parent! @thriftygranny -good points made about health with mono. Did not know those activities you mentioned were no-nos.
    @jasperandchar -2017 filing systems love from me! Certainly a good feeling to have tasks done, organized and ready for action!
    @Frugalbigmama -exciting to know your new paint project is nearing completion!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Okay the truth is the downstairs AC is on the fritz-so sis and I are upstairs relaxing-she sleeping while we wait for the repair man to come-so don't envy me too much-very hot outside-feels like about 36-meantime I know DH and DD are freezing back in YYC. Just received a home exchange offer for Romania and seeing the Dracula castle but I think I will pass-just focus on one trip at a time. We have been eating some yummy empanadas-my fav!

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information