User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree962Likes

Thread: July 2017 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

We're halfway through 2017!
    Peter Mansbridge does his last CBC "news" broadcast today, so he won't be reading the news anymore. Will see if CBC streams the Ottawa events live online.

This morning, I boiled cauliflower segments from the third head purchased this week. Wanted it done before the humidity rises and saps any incentive by lunchtime. Had some fruit spread on reduced price cranberry pumpkinseed bread plus hemp seeds for breakfast. Today's major goal is lose some pain from yesterday's grasscutting and the subsequent sunburn on my arms (forgot to put the light jacket on). Lots of magnesium gel is going to be applied.

If the rain that is lurking in the sky does fall this morning, I may pop round to a garden centre to see what is left in plants or what bags of soil cost. Canadian Tire's mobile sign has clearance promoted.

I saw @Angela_273 's lovely radishes-fresh crunchy veggies will be refreshing in salads! @Frugalbigmama , you might find radishes more appealing if mixed with a sweeter carrot in a slaw (not a regular coleslaw but a carrot slaw with lime juice and salt and pepper). I seldom have radishes on green salads but will slip them in on occasion.

Two of three wall calendars have been flipped forward to July. Now it feels like it's summer,despite the longest day of the year having passed on June 21.
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire
    Newfiescreech likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Natalka -love the sparkling reference in the Canada Day greeting you posted today! May wear my sparkling cotton jacket on my walk today. No fizzy drinks for me but maybe tomorrow, something with a kick and bubbles will be in my glass.
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Wow, quiet here this weekend. Slowly putting the kitchen back together and working on getting rid of stuff we no longer need or have space for.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hi, everyone!
    Our son came over for supper, and we took advantage of the Burger King $1.50 chicken sandwich deal - they were really good - and way bigger than I remember. Online some people were saying that locations had dozens of them ready to go - but our son went and picked them up, and waited as they were made fresh, and they were still hot by the time he got them home.

Did SDM and Co-op shop to take advantage of weekend sales. We're good to go with veg and meat, so anything else needing to be picked up will be incidental.

Husband is on holidays for the whole week, so YAY!

Not looking forward to a week in the 30s, gah!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Name:  IMG_1681.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  114.1 KB
    ROMEO, Ciel, SassyAshley and 1 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Yesterday was a super busy day. I got up and stripped the beds and got started. When all was said and done I did 7 loads of laundry to get all of the bedding plus our normal laundry done.

I also spent a lot of time cleaning the kitchen. I ran the dishwasher twice, the first time was with our day to day to dishes and the second was a bunch of plastic I found when we cleaned up. Now these are packed in a container for Mom to go through and decide what we are keeping and getting rid of and now what we are keeping can just be put away. I probably should have washed these by hand but for some reason we had a lot of dishes that had to be washed by hand and I didn't want to spend anymore time with my hands in water.

Also before Mom went to work we took out 4 bags of garbage and 3 bags of recycling, happy to see the stuff leaving.

Mom has decided she wants to get rid of most of our craft stuff which I am on board with. Up until now Mom would do a little of this, a little of that and we basically have a small Michael's location in my basement. We have now chosen the crafts we want to do and everything else will go which means we might have a functional basement again but it is going to be A LOT of work to sort through it all.

I was going to do some work in the basement today but we will have to see how my foot and ankle are. A couple of weeks ago both of my feet started to swell when it got hot. Since then I have noticed the one will swell randomly but it wasn't bad so I wasn't worried. Then yesterday it got really bad, it got to the point it was so swollen you could not see my ankle. About 90% of the swelling is gone now but it still a little swollen so we will have to see how the day goes. Looks like I will have to go see the Doc but not sure when I can go as my week is full this week. I have meetings everyday including some out of town so it makes it hard to book an appointment. I am hopeful if I am careful today and it doesn't get bad as yesterday that either it stops or is tolerable until next week when I can book and appointment with the doc. I have done some research and tried a couple things and hopefully that is why the swelling has gone down and I get it to go away without seeing the doc.

I would also like to do some cooking and baking today for the week ahead. I have 2 internal meetings and would like to take some treats to each one as well I would like to have food for work in the fridge so I just have to grab and go this week. Lately my eating has been really bad well not really my eating but more a lack of eating. I have not been very organized lately and have been skipping meals as I did not have food to take to work and did not want to get take out.

We will see how the ankle and foot are and go from there and see what I can get done.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Mon, Jul 3rd, 2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Ciel, lizzie bargain and dededi like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Forgot one deal that was a weekend special at Shoppers but decided to get a big box of liners (my regular Kotex one) on sale,as the smaller box was about the same regular price as the sale price for 129 of them. Oh well. No more Pepsi Throwback at Shoppers but happily Food Basics included Throwback in its $3.33 case pop specials! So yes I had bubbles yesterday!

I also checked my bank account at the ATM just to see if I can remember my PIN, yes on try 2, so I need to think about changing PIN again and remembering it. HST is coming via direct deposit on July 5 and OntarIo Trillium Benefit on July 10 (those of you receiving cheques can add 5 business days to the dates to see mail). If you did not file 2016 income tax returns by April 30 or remitted them later, any tax credits you may be expecting will be delayed since the credits start in July based on the 2016 returns.

Banks may be closed today to make up for Canada Day being on a Saturday (saw notice at my CIBC branch). Libraries are likely open but some municipal centres may not be. Check online before you go. Also public transit systems may be on holiday schedules.
    Today I have to send mail and get something printed at the library. Sunny day and cooler in Ancaster-glad for a bit of heat relief.
    How is everyone's day shaping up?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@SassyAshley -yes, do continue to monitor what is going on with your foot and ankle. Glad you noticed that heat has something to do with it. Swelling is not fun.
    Speaking of bedding-I washed one set of sheets (my Homesense deal of over a year ago) yesterday and I saw that the fitted sheet has a rip in it. I'm wavering between just using the set until fall or saying heck with ripped stuff, I'll sew something out of the sheet fabric. Will delay a decision until I see what clearance bedding sets are selling for at the mall.
    Angela273 and SassyAshley like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Trillium and HST incoming for me here too...

A nice boost to my budget of $51.20/ month for Trillium and $70.00/quarter for HST, will definitely help since OSAP didn't come through as I thought it would for this Spring/Summer school term.

Getting my car very soon (within the next 2-4 weeks if all works out), insurance will be a bit pricey due to still living in Ajax, but since were moving to Tottenham soon, insurance will drop significantly. Will use Trillium to help pay down my SLOC that I will use to buy my car with. Only have to make interest payments on my car, but will of course pay off as much as I can every month to pay down some of the principal of the SLOC.
    Angela273, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Oops, I missed switching threads again. This is what I posted yesterday in the June thread.

We went to some Canada Day festivities as a family. The kids loved the parade. They played on the bounce houses, swings, games, and petting zoo. Dh got a burger and drink because he didn't want to eat breakfast before we left the house. Everyone was overheating, so we headed home for some AC and naps. Dh took our son to see the fireworks. Next year the twins will be old enough to enjoy the fireworks too.

I sorted the two bins of clothes that my neighbour dropped off a while ago. Most of the clothes are big ones that our oldest son will eventually grow into. I have 2 baskets of laundry waiting to be folded. I washed the bedding from cribs and already put it back on again. I vacuumed the living room and both of the kids' bedrooms.

This morning we had the kids in the back yard with the water table before it got too hot. The entire forecast says highs of 32-36 with no forecast of rain. I weeded the carrots and found two more volunteer tomato plants. I still need to weed the swiss
    chard, beets, and lettuce. We watered the garden and the lawn. We rarely water the grass, but the lawn is turning yellow and that doesn't feel nice on little bare feet.
    Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Angela273 -you have great community spirit in your town and good friends! Definitely it helps to have access to clothing your children can use and you also help out others with clothing too. How big are your lettuce plants? My green ones have doubled in one month but the red ones had been overrun by neighbouring flowering plants. Have some weeding due this week as well.

I'll admit to having gone barefoot a couple of times on the grass when I could not be bothered with footwear (true summer feeling when one can do that). Just need to ensure no bees or creatures or spruce needles are in my path!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Angela273 -you have great community spirit in your town and good friends! Definitely it helps to have access to clothing your children can use and you also help out others with clothing too. How big are your lettuce plants? My green ones have doubled in one month but the red ones had been overrun by neighbouring flowering plants. Have some weeding due this week as well.
    My lettuce plants are doing ok, they are big enough to start making a salad. I started everything from seeds straight into the ground on May long weekend, with exception of the tomato plants. My friend down the street has much bigger lettuce plants, but he bought his already started.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Lettuce in pots here along with mesclun has been harvested a couple of times already and reseeded. Happy about that. Nice to have in pots.

Sent from my iPhone
    Angela273, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
    Lettuce in pots here along with mesclun has been harvested a couple of times already and reseeded. Happy about that. Nice to have in pots.
    Sent from my iPhone
    My friend has half of his garden in pots. His regular garden soil is acidic because it is near big evergreen trees and his crab apple tree.
    Caddle Referral Code:

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Anyone here take Omega 3 in their late fifties and notice any health benefits? I take calcium, vitamin D and Bone MD but that is about it for supplements....
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information