• 3 Post By madchives
  • 2 Post By madchives
  • 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Skippy

Thread: 9 Dead and 16 Injured in Vehicular Attack In Toronto

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A car ramming attack has occurred in Toronto today. At least 9 dead and 16 reported injured.

I am freaked out as this was 10 minutes from my house
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Skippy, madchives, Lynn49 and 1 others like this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

yeah, sadly now a 10th person has died. Such a tragic loss.
    Skippy, Lynn49 and Shwa Girl like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    A car ramming attack has occurred in Toronto today. At least 9 dead and 16 reported injured.
    I am freaked out as this was 10 minutes from my house
    It's definitely something that gets you close to the heart. I know what you mean @gryphon , I used to live right at the corner of Yonge and Sheppard. When the weather was like it was yesterday, my Wife and I would go for walks almost every night along Yonge Street, right where that all happened.

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    yeah, sadly now a 10th person has died. Such a tragic loss.
    I heard they had confirmed 10 people since yesterday afternoon.
    The number confirmed grew steadily during the commute home yesterday. When I first started listening there were 3 tarps draped on the streets/sidewalks...by the time we finally did manage to navigate the congestion of that area and get out to the 401 it had risen to 5 or 6, then 9 last night.
    Skippy, madchives, Lynn49 and 1 others like this.
    DANGER

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

my dear daughter lives in toronto and works 2 blocks north of where it happened, she was out in her car on her lunch and heard the first round of vechicles speed past her as she returned to work,so sad
    Skippy, madchives, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Accursed of TO attacks had links to incel movement

The man accused of carrying out the Toronto van attack has alleged links to ‘involuntary celibate’ online communities. The language they use may be absurd, but the threat they pose could be deadly.
    When a van was driven on to a Toronto pavement on Tuesday, killing 10 people and injuring 15, police chief Mark Saunders said that, while the incident appeared to be a deliberate act, there was no evidence of terrorism. The public safety minister Ralph Goodale backed this up, deeming the event “not part of an organised terror plot”. Canada has rules about these things: to count as terrorism, the attacker must have a political, religious or social motivation, something beyond “wanting to terrorise”.
    Why have the authorities been so fast to reject the idea of terrorism (taking as read that this may change; the tragedy is very fresh)? Shortly before the attack, a post appeared on the suspect’s Facebook profile, hailing the commencement of the “Incel Rebellion”, including the line “Private (Recruit) … Infantry 00010, wishing to speak to Sgt 4chan please. C23249161.” (“4chan is the main organising platform for the ‘alt-right’,” explains Mike Wendling, the author of Alt-Right: from 4Chan to the White House.)
    There is a reluctance to ascribe to the “incel” movement anything so lofty as an “ideology” or credit it with any developed, connected thinking, partly because it is so bizarre in conception.
    Standing for “involuntarily celibate”, the term was originally invented 20 years ago by a woman known only as Alana, who coined the term as a name for an online support forum for singles, basically a lonely hearts club. “It feels like being the scientist who figured out nuclear fission and then discovers it’s being used as a weapon for war,” she says, describing the feeling of watching it mutate into a Reddit muster point for violent misogyny.
    It is part of the “manosphere”, but is distinguished from men’s rights activism by what Wendling – who is also the editor of BBC Trending, the broadcaster’s social media investigation unit – calls its “raw hatred. It is vile. It is just incredibly unhinged and separate from reality and completely raw.” It has some crossover with white supremacism, in the sense that its adherents hang out in the same online spaces and share some of the same terminology, but it is quite distinctive in its hate figures: Stacys (attractive women); Chads (attractive men); and Normies (people who aren’t incels, ie can find partners but aren’t necessarily attractive). Basically, incels cannot get laid and they violently loathe anyone who can.
    Some of the fault, in their eyes, is with attractive men who have sex with too many women – “We need to do something about the polygamy problem,” said the Incelcast, an astonishing three-hour podcast about the Toronto attack – but, of course, the main problem is women themselves, who become foes as people, but also as a political entity. There is a lot of discussion about how best to punish them, with mass rape fantasies and threads on how to follow women without getting arrested, just for the thrill of having them notice you. Feminism is held responsible for a dude who can’t get laid, and birth control is said to have caused “women to date only Chads. It causes all sorts of negative social ramifications”.
    There are no numbers on how many adherents this doctrine has, or how extreme they are, “but it’s not one tiny bit of Reddit” says Wendling. “It’s big. It’s substantial. It’s a movement that has tens of thousands of people who visit these boards, these sub-Reddits, that are safe places for them.”

Last edited by Darth Penguin; Thu, Apr 26th, 2018 at 09:42 PM.
    Skippy, madchives and Shwa Girl like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thought i'd mention that cbc's radio program cross country checkup today has the question:

Should more control be exerted over some online communities?
    Some suggest a marginal online community encouraged the Toronto van rampage that killed or injured 23 people. Can the Internet embolden people who harbour bad intentions?

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup

Join Duncan McCue Sunday, live simultaneously through six time zones on CBC Radio One, Sirius XM channel 169, and streaming on cbc.ca and on the CBC Radio app.

thinking anyone who has heard of this awful event knows about his and others ideas, this 'incel' group,
    hence his/their targets - women. from what i've heard most of this groups are in the dark web etc. now
    since reddit etc are trying to keep them off their sites.

cross country checkup, in case you might not know is a 2 hour call in show which i always find interesting.
    Last edited by madchives; Sun, Apr 29th, 2018 at 06:51 AM.
    Skippy, Natalka and Shwa Girl like this.
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my goodness about people who lived, or know someone who did/does close to this, really startles a person
    about how close we can all be to madness.
    Skippy and Shwa Girl like this.
    if you have some spare time

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    my dear daughter lives in toronto and works 2 blocks north of where it happened, she was out in her car on her lunch and heard the first round of vechicles speed past her as she returned to work,so sad
    My US friends are calling and e-mailing asking if everything is o.k. with us.
    Very sad news.
    Skippy and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Thanks. I did not know about incels (involuntary celibates), Chads or Staceys before.
    Very sad news.
    Toronto Strong vigil tonight at Mel Lastman Square
    http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/04/2...trong-weekend/
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Apr 29th, 2018 at 08:33 AM.
    Skippy likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Truly sad and tragic.My heart goes out to the victims and their families,along with first responders and witnesses.
    Definitely keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
    Natalka likes this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Thread Information