User Tag List

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1962Likes

Thread: June 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (congrats to new graduates)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Early bird start to the next month's thread. Realized that May has one week left.
    June is usually the month of prom dances for high school students and final exams.

Some post-secondary schools have convocation ceremonies in June if they did not hold them in May for graduands.

By the way, Shoppers has a greeting card coupon (tearpad in the card dept. but cashiers may have coupons at cash too)-buy 2 Carlton cards and save $2. Deal expires on June 8.
    This thread is currently associated with: Carlton Cards, Shoppers Drug Mart
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Thank you for starting the june fruggal chatter!!!!
    Giseledta, Ciel and macw1960 like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks OP. Dollar Tree has graduation cards, decorations, plates etc
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I buy all my greeting cards at Dollarama for $1. @Ciel Shoppers is expensive for greeting cards. On the fence if I should buy a Clinique mascara online for 50% off, I have so many freebies but no waterproof, water resistant one. Can anyone recommend a cheap but good waterproof mascara.....under $10 would be awesome.

Another beautiful day, windows open, love the breeze.
    Giseledta, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Moved the loonies for 2018/2019 hockey season from my coffee cup to a marked envelope and will tuck away in my glove compartment. I counted it and have $70. Not a bad start!!
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

barbis9-marcelle has great mascara around 10.99 to 13.99 -it was recommend by the cosmetician and I like it the one I have (not waterproof but I am sure they have that in their line

frugalbigmama -nice to save loonies for hockey -I try and save twoonies for daughter's underground parking its 6.00 and you can pay buy credit card but it takes forever

-cut back lawn this morning ,hung one load and ready to hang another -way too hot for me to cut the front also so will wait til sat night or sunday

-oh and as for greeting cards I never buy at shoppers dollar store all the way ,better yet I bought a pkg at value village of individual ones got about 20 nice cards for 2.99 in a bag -they are birthday ,sympathy etc
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Jun 1st, 2018 at 12:15 PM.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Today, I was told that DD1 needs to bring in a white shirt to tie-dye at daycare. I'm not sure what it is about this activity that they seem to force on children again and again. DD1 has two tie-dyed shirts and she never wears them. Does anyone know where can I find a inexpensive white shirt?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have a case of Murphy’s Law. It seems like everything that can go wrong with these teaching applications, has gone wrong. Each school division has their own slightly different, time consuming, and potentially costly application process. Some of these jobs are only posted for 5 days, during which time they require a brand new criminal record and vulnerable sector check before they even consider you for the position. Each of these school divisions also have their own websites for you to look up and search as the jobs are posted for various lengths of time. It’s difficult, stressful, etc.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Moved the loonies for 2018/2019 hockey season from my coffee cup to a marked envelope and will tuck away in my glove compartment. I counted it and have $70. Not a bad start!!
    That's about two and half coin rolls! Excellent.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Today, I was told that DD1 needs to bring in a white shirt to tie-dye at daycare. I'm not sure what it is about this activity that they seem to force on children again and again. DD1 has two tie-dyed shirts and she never wears them. Does anyone know where can I find a inexpensive white shirt?
    If you have a shirt in your closet (or DH's closet that he does not wear), that is the no-money option. Or visit a thrift store or dollar store--but that takes up time.
    What about a white tote bag? If you have one in the house, that might be the next best substitute.
    Maybe the daycare staff want easy and colourful stuff but won't bring in a sewing instructor to show kids how to make an easy project to sew?
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Jun 1st, 2018 at 01:10 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I have a case of Murphy’s Law. It seems like everything that can go wrong with these teaching applications, has gone wrong. Each school division has their own slightly different, time consuming, and potentially costly application process. Some of these jobs are only posted for 5 days, during which time they require a brand new criminal record and vulnerable sector check before they even consider you for the position. Each of these school divisions also have their own websites for you to look up and search as the jobs are posted for various lengths of time. It’s difficult, stressful, etc.
    The 5-days posting must be part of the union contract governing the teachers at that school division. So each division is a separate school board or are the divisions part of the SAME school board? Keep your options to the locations best for you (proximity to home or the best positions) so you can save your money for the checks you best can afford. Seems like so many places think job applicants are rolling in trust accounts to pay for so many things just to apply...

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Just experienced about 10 minutes of pouring rain, now tapering off (forecast was accurate about rain today). The sound almost drowned out the patron having a loud personal cellphone chat throughout the length of the library. Same patron kept laughing loudly in the computer lab earlier, so I moved out into the main part of the library for a little more quiet.

Before I came to the library, I was able to get the 5% off Cdn stamp pack deal at Rexall plus the last 6pk of Dr. Pepper pop on sale in the flyer. Will wait to get home to get my $10 LD calling card at Fortinos. On the 44-Rymal bus ride to the East Mountain, I found out that construction between Garth and Hazelton limits through traffic to one lane-there's a trench on the north side for a diagonal insertion of a big pipe that I assume will connect with the two-lane wide trench on the south side of Rymal. Wowzers, I don't intend to come out this way for another couple of weeks as the waiting time is about 5-minutes or more per side to cross at the bottleneck.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    barbis9-marcelle has great mascara around 10.99 to 13.99 -it was recommend by the cosmetician and I like it the one I have (not waterproof but I am sure they have that in their line

frugalbigmama -nice to save loonies for hockey -I try and save twoonies for daughter's underground parking its 6.00 and you can pay buy credit card but it takes forever

-cut back lawn this morning ,hung one load and ready to hang another -way too hot for me to cut the front also so will wait til sat night or sunday

-oh and as for greeting cards I never buy at shoppers dollar store all the way ,better yet I bought a pkg at value village of individual ones got about 20 nice cards for 2.99 in a bag -they are birthday ,sympathy etc
    We appreciate having the pile of change for this purpose. We pay a $4 gate fee to watch game and when you play rep there are many games. I always buy the season pass for our own arena but still have to pay elsewhere. Now I don't have to worry if I have cash on me to get in (since I don't usually carry cash otherwise)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am glad SCers find greeting cards more affordable at dollar stores and the occasional bundle find at Value Village (I check them as well). My local Dollarama does not have the best card assortment and I have not checked Dollar Tree's selection recently.

There's going to be a 10% tariff applied to US made food items, appliance parts and greeting cards as of July 1. Best that we all see what needs to be US made and bought this month so the tariff does not hit your budgets too much.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information