User Tag List

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1150Likes

Thread: What are you doing to deal with the rising cost of groceries?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Discovered that the price of (Loblaws and banner stores) Old Mill sliced bread went up 10 cents from $1.89 (after the price fixing scandal broke-it was $2.19 in 2017 then) to $1.99. I was buying a 50% off loaf and was asked for $1, not the 95 cents I was expecting.

Think this part of the year will be a "what foods can I give up in order to ensure other foods are usually stocked in the house due to cost increases" trial session.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Jan 9th, 2019 at 04:26 PM.
    Colsgirl likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Discovered that the price of (Loblaws and banner stores) Old Mill sliced bread went up 10 cents from $1.89 (after the price fixing scandal broke-it was $2.19 in 2017 then) to $1.99. I was buying a 50% off loaf and was asked for $1, not the 95 cents I was expecting.
    Think this part of the year will be a "what foods can I give up in order to ensure other foods are usually stocked in the house due to cost increases" trial session.
    @Ciel I just read the Sobey's flyer and their Compliments brand white bread is on sale for $1.69 starting tomorrow. ( that is if you have a Sobey's close enough )
    Ciel likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@walkonby -the Sobeys Extra is about 35min from the library and unfortunately does not carry cracked wheat in its lineup. Only the Loblaws stores carry cracked wheat. I may have to make buns or flatbread more often instead.
    Was I ever glad that I looked for extra beer empties for redemption before I went to the beer store-I would have been short a coin without the other cans found to pay for the loaf.
    sweetmomma and walkonby like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @walkonby -the Sobeys Extra is about 35min from the library and unfortunately does not carry cracked wheat in its lineup. Only the Loblaws stores carry cracked wheat. I may have to make buns or flatbread more often instead.
    Was I ever glad that I looked for extra beer empties for redemption before I went to the beer store-I would have been short a coin without the other cans found to pay for the loaf.
    Don't forget about DollarTree. Not sure if they sell cracked wheat variety bread but is now my first choice for bread products at $1.25!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Silk, Ciel, PurpleBunny89 and 1 others like this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I started buying my tofu at Asian grocery stores. I was paying $1.49 for a 350g package at IGA and Adonis - and prices have since gone up to $1.59 - $1.79. But now I pay $1.89 - $2.19 for 700g - twice the size. The store that sells it for $1.89 I have to take public transpiration to, so have add in the cost of bus tickets (although I go when I need to pick up other Asian groceries also since their prices are cheaper in general). The $2.19 store is walking distance
    Ciel and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Watched for deals today when shopping to make our meals at home. Ace bread was reduced 50% because one of the 2 loaves was cut in half. Stacey baked chips 50% off with June expiry date. Tucked away for gathering with friends. Everything I bought today (under $15) will be used up this week to make what we have already on hand better (except 2 spices - will be used before buying more)
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We didn't buy anything this week DH only has to cook for himsekf and Older DD. I am on a liquid diet since I have a toothache.
    Ciel and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Did a shopping trip to Walmart this morning and saw that the store brand 1.89l bleach jug is no longer $1.27 before HST but is now $1.58! I so expect another price hike in the spring.
    Noticed that the 5L jug of Palmolive dish detergent was on the back page of the store flyer where the lowest everyday prices were touted. Price is now $8.97 for the jug (it was $8.88 for the past two years).

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

These days... i gave up. We shop on sale but ive gotten tired of saying no because it moght be cheaper later. Life is to enjoy. I make alpt of our baking
    Dh is a chef so we eat tasty meals with prepackaged kits.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Natalka, Ciel and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

As of last year, I started paying more attention to Air Miles as an additional way to save. Although I put much less effort into collecting them compared to PCO, I still managed to collect over 3500 total between two accounts. I do 100% cash miles, so at the standard rate of 95 = $10, I accumulated over $350 worth. Better yet, I was able to stretch quite a few of them by using them during Metro's promos where they gave 50 AM back for redeeming 95.

In Nov-Dec, our accounts earned 2000 and 1000 AM in the Shop The Block promo, which will apparently be credited next month as 2019 points, so I should easily surpass last year's total.
    Giseledta, Silk, Tweets77 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    These days... i gave up. We shop on sale but ive gotten tired of saying no because it moght be cheaper later.
    Fwiw, I address this by having what I call my treats budget. It's only a small amount per month, but it does provide some degree of flexibility to spend more than I normally would on something when I want it immediately, or to buy something I normally wouldn't buy at all no matter the price.
    Giseledta, Silk and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    As of last year, I started paying more attention to Air Miles as an additional way to save. Although I put much less effort into collecting them compared to PCO, I still managed to collect over 3500 total between two accounts. I do 100% cash miles, so at the standard rate of 95 = $10, I accumulated over $350 worth. Better yet, I was able to stretch quite a few of them by using them during Metro's promos where they gave 50 AM back for redeeming 95.

In Nov-Dec, our accounts earned 2000 and 1000 AM in the Shop The Block promo, which will apparently be credited next month as 2019 points, so I should easily surpass last year's total.
    @Arjon if you have a Sobeys close by they have the bonus 25 AM when use 95 AM this weekend.
    Giseledta, Silk and Ciel like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

For 5e past two weeks I took the older son to RCSS for the big grocery shop. He works there and I can get his employee discount as long as he is with me. Saves about 10.00 a week.
    Giseledta, Silk, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    @Arjon if you have a Sobeys close by they have the bonus 25 AM when use 95 AM this weekend.
    Thanks, not a bad offer even though it's not as good as the Metro one, but unfortunately, there was nothing of great interest in this week's flyer. /shrug
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    Thanks, not a bad offer even though it's not as good as the Metro one, but unfortunately, there was nothing of great interest in this week's flyer. /shrug
    Lol, I used it to buy some “drinks” for the weekend.
    Ciel likes this.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information